Nvidia Ampere & Turing (next GeForce) rumor thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Subtle hints from. Nvidia someone made me aware of, low to no stock and the fact they can't maintain the current market with the mining craze and no product. All speculation and interpretation, but sensible IMO.

Reasonable speculation. My retail sources are telling me the same about stock levels, suggesting the increased demand and tapering/reduced 10-series production are causing the supply issues.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
And then there are the cryptominers..... Do you suppose that they'll scoop up these cards at debut leaving consumers high and dry while driving prices through the roof for them?

If it hasn't crashed by then, then yes, why wouldn't they. Prices already are through the roof; don't expect a 2080 for 750 USD ;) hope that I'm wrong. If you want one odI buy immediately upon release.

Reasonable speculation. My retail sources are telling me the same about stock levels, suggesting the increased demand and tapering/reduced 10-series production are causing the supply issues.

Logically both are, yes. Many, including me, believe that the tapered production is to get rid of inventory in preparation for the soon to be revealed and released Ampere.

Last edited:

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
Add salt:

Rumour: Nvidia Ampere might launch as GeForce GTX 2070 and 2080 on April 12th

It's been silent with new graphics card releases from Nvidia. We've mentioned it a couple of times already, we really do not expect Volta with HBM2 to reach consumer grade graphics anytime soon. The chatter is about to get big as the first indications are here that Nvidia will be launching a GA104, a GPU called Ampere, on April 12th.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/rumor-nvidia-ampere-might-launch-as-geforce-gtx-2070-and-2080-on-april-12th.html

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Add salt:

Rumour: Nvidia Ampere might launch as GeForce GTX 2070 and 2080 on April 12th

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ru...-geforce-gtx-2070-and-2080-on-april-12th.html

Seems reasonable. Both Maxwell and Pascal were tightly guarded with release dates and performance information until less than 8 weeks out, so this lines up. Nvidia also soft launched Pascal by a week or so, right? The time tables all seem to add up, especially if GP104 and GP102 have ceased production.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I'd laugh if the 2070 ends up being ~ 1080 Ti performance... at 1080 Ti MSRP prices.
Are you saying that would be a bad deal at this point?
$650-700 for GTX 1080ti performance in a better performance package/more features/whatever ampere brings. When there is no competition and given the current GPU landscape, that would STILL be a good deal.

A GTX 2060 at $350 would sadly be the best GPU of the 2018. Dropped to $300 for the holidays.

Reactions: TheF34RChannel

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Are you saying that would be a bad deal at this point?
$650-700 for GTX 1080ti performance in a better performance package/more features/whatever ampere brings. When there is no competition and given the current GPU landscape, that would STILL be a good deal.

A GTX 2060 at $350 would sadly be the best GPU of the 2018. Dropped to $300 for the holidays.

Not if the stock performance was achieved by clocking the card closer to its clockspeed limits, ala GTX 1070 vs GTX 980 Ti. Because if you do that, then you technically actually are getting an inferior card.

Reactions: Head1985

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I will be so pissed if miners cause a lack of supply and/or ridiculous prices on launch day. I'm always a day one buyer and use the cards the way they are intended.

Reactions: psolord

punkyDD

Sep 8, 2016
Nvidia to launch the GTX 20 in April so here is the Ampere that you've been waiting for.
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...eforce-gtx-20-series-tipped-to-debut-in-april

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-shoot-prices-through-the-roof-idUSKBN1FT2AW

From the article: "The new GPU gaming chip, code named Turing, is expected to be unveiled next month."

Looks like "Turing" is the architecture that the consumer cards will be based on. I'm guessing 1180 and 1170 debut at GTC next month. So I guess that means Ampere comes after, probably late 2019 or 2020?

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I will be so pissed if miners cause a lack of supply and/or ridiculous prices on launch day. I'm always a day one buyer and use the cards the way they are intended.

I think NVidia will use the FE program to limit this to some degree or at least ensure that gamers have a better shot at getting cards. Even with the extra markup it still comes out cheaper than retailer markup or bundle packages.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
Nvidia to launch the GTX 20 in April so here is the Ampere that you've been waiting for.
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...eforce-gtx-20-series-tipped-to-debut-in-april

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-shoot-prices-through-the-roof-idUSKBN1FT2AW

From the article: "The new GPU gaming chip, code named Turing, is expected to be unveiled next month."

Looks like "Turing" is the architecture that the consumer cards will be based on. I'm guessing 1180 and 1170 debut at GTC next month. So I guess that means Ampere comes after, probably late 2019 or 2020?

How is this different from what I posted? Other than making up a different code name.

I think NVidia will use the FE program to limit this to some degree or at least ensure that gamers have a better shot at getting cards. Even with the extra markup it still comes out cheaper than retailer markup or bundle packages.

I hope it will be all around because I wouldn't want an FE card if my life depended on it. :/

punkyDD

Sep 8, 2016
How is this different from what I posted? Other than making up a different code name.

Well we know that Nvidia has had Ampere on its roadmap for a while. It was supposed to go Volta -> Ampere based on roadmaps from a few years ago if I recall correctly. So if the next architecture is Turing it means Nvidia felt the need to insert another architecture between Volta and Ampere.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
I am very sure Ampere never was on any road map, and popped up only recently out of thin air with no source. The same goes for 'Turing'. Neither of these names have to be the architecture name (in fact, they 99% sure aren't), and could be model codes names (well may be, with the other being false). Both most certainly refer to the same upcoming cards. We must be careful, as incorrect interpretation of any such rumours confuses the already unsure situation big time :)

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013

Sooner than that - the AI market is so huge and competitive that they're surely going to do a replacement for GV100 the moment its technologically possible to even half do it. That'll be die shrink, new architecture etc etc.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
So... along the way, what happened to the Pascal Refresh from which should have come the "Big Pascal" chip? Almost all of the previous architectures ended up having a 110 or 200 version which was the biggest chip in that family... The pascal never saw this, with the 1080 coming from GP104 and 1080Ti from GP102... Kinda disappointed were going from small chip to small chip, meaning it make take 4 years to see another 80Ti big chip model.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
So... along the way, what happened to the Pascal Refresh from which should have come the "Big Pascal" chip? Almost all of the previous architectures ended up having a 110 or 200 version which was the biggest chip in that family... The pascal never saw this, with the 1080 coming from GP104 and 1080Ti from GP102... Kinda disappointed were going from small chip to small chip, meaning it make take 4 years to see another 80Ti big chip model.

Because things have changed. the biggest 00 chip is now dedicated to compute. Nvidia has enough money to make parts for dedicated markets and going forward the 02 chip will be the biggest chip gamers get. Its basically the 00 with all the compute stripped out. No need for nvidia to sell the biggest die for consumer prices when they can now do this. remember, this is the first time there has been an 02 chip. before it was always 00 then 04

Last edited:

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
In current world - you cannot design one GPU to fit it all(Vega), because it will fail to excell at anything. You have to design specific chips: Mining, Gaming, Compute in order to extract everything out of them in that particular market.

And this is the reason why Nvidia is making billions of dollars each year.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
I believe I said next gen would launch in May a long time ago. I am betting an announcement in April, with the release still in May. Now lets see how my AMD Zen+ prediction plays out. :)

Nowhere does it say May. The article basically continues the most logical path: announced at GDC/GTC, hard launch early April. This would agree with my greed :D

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
It looks like Nvidia won't be launching new GPUs at GTC or GDC

"Now a report from PCGAMESN has thrown a spanner into the works, stating that they have been in contact with Nvidia and that the company has confirmed that they will not be launching any new GPUs at either event next month, shattering hopes that there will soon be a new consumer GPU launch."

https://overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/it_looks_like_nvidia_won_t_be_launching_new_gpus_at_gtc_or_gdc

----

My take:

I'm not buying it, that they had contact with Nvidia and they actually laid out their plans. That'd be a first and serves no purpose whatsoever. I'm still saying they'll announce come March and launch come April. Pascal EOL, being two years old and all - they need to launch as us peeps want to buy :D

Reactions: Headfoot