NVIDIA Adds Telemetry to Latest Drivers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USER8000

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2012
They don't sell it, but do the partners that they share it with? I don't see why it matters if they get paid or not, they give out the info.

I'm generally not a nutter about these things, and my gut told me not to sign up for the new GFE when it required login, but I did it anyway. Not happy, but I'm sure I have info out there all over the place already anyway. This makes me even more determined to get AMD next go around though... I'm usually a best bang-for-buck type guy, but this may be a turning point.

It will probably be for targetted marketing and market research.

DamZe

May 18, 2016
Why am I not surprised. LMAO, what's next is our CPU going to send Intel data about our browsing choices? This is truly sad, I buy Graphics Cards for enhanced graphical performance, not to let nVIDIA sell info about my browsing online preferences...

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Why am I not surprised. LMAO, what's next is our CPU going to send Intel data about our browsing choices? This is truly sad, I buy Graphics Cards for enhanced graphical performance, not to let nVIDIA sell info about my browsing online preferences...

This is true.

Mar 10, 2006

I don't think they want to sell your info; they want to figure out what products and services it should build to be able to sell more stuff to you in the future.

nopainnogain

Sep 13, 2016
(...) They are not scouring your HD through a backdoor in their drivers to pull your name, phone number and banking information.(...)
Hey, I'm not burning my cat with acid. Can I spank him just a little bit?

(...) In other words, you can put your tin foil hat down, anything that personally identifies you is information you voluntarily gave to them. (...)
As far as I can remember, I haven't added NVIDIA as my friend in Facebook.

Reactions: Gikaseixas

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Getting rid of this sneaking program, thanks for the heads up

They should have included a big bold disclaimer and add a button to disable it. Some are OK but others might not be, so a choice should be given

Last edited:

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
I don't think they want to sell your info; they want to figure out what products and services it should build to be able to sell more stuff to you in the future.
That's fine, after all they're a business and make money is in their DNA but there are less shady ways to go about it

Mar 10, 2006
That's fine, after all they're a business and make money is in their DNA but there are less shady ways to go about it

How is it shady? As Pariah said above, all of this stuff is in the EULA. Not NVIDIA's fault if people just hit "agree" without actually reading what they're agreeing to.

nopainnogain

Sep 13, 2016
How is it shady? As Pariah said above, all of this stuff is in the EULA. Not NVIDIA's fault if people just hit "agree" without actually reading what they're agreeing to.
That's it. It's the consumer fault.

As a matter of fact, we have to be grateful to NVIDIA! For instance, they could have included in the EULA their right to spank us every friday night.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Disabled all this garbage. Telemetry should always be opt-in.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I thought this was an actual driver feature (the one that is used for vr where it doesn't need to render something seen by both eyes twice).

Has there been a petition against this practice? That might get Nvidia to change their minds

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Thanks for this thread. I disabled telemetry as well.

So do we have to do that after every driver installation?

Wouldn't it be easier if we added an exclusion in our hosts file? Does anyone know what ips this crap is calling?

Vaporizer

Apr 4, 2015
Interesting. Some people were forced to share their personal data to get damage paiment for the 970 lie. I wonder if NV is now able to recapitalize this loss a little bit.
Its really good to have such smart companies that care for the customer (more precise the shareholder).

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Well, in a class action lawsuit they do have to track who is getting compensated to prevent fraud and balance the books.

Sneaking in live telemetry is something else altogether.

SlickR12345

Jan 9, 2010
www.clubvalenciacf.com
Nvidia, always "caring" for their consumers. Thankfully I saw the writing on the wall 2 years ago and have been going with AMD all the time. Not going to support a company that wants to scour my computer for personal information for them to sell or share with 3rd parties, who will then sell it to everyone else!!!

Reactions: DarthKyrie

f2bnp

May 25, 2015

Si7ZTMe.jpg

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"We do not sell Personal Information about our customers or users to any third parties. We may from time to time share your Personal Information with our business partners, resellers, affiliates, service providers, consulting partners and others in order to provide our Services to you."

This EULA isnt worth the paper its written on. It claims flat out that they do collect personal info, and the worst part is the admit they will share/sell it, sure not to a "third party" but literally to anyone else, business partners, resellers, affiliates, service providers, consulting partners and others.

So lets say Nvidia decides they want to sell your personal info, all they do is start a nvidia marketing partnership program collect money from marketing firms for membership in this marketing program and then start handing out your personal info. because now they are doing it to a business partner which is not against the EULA.

At least AMD has not got down to this level yet, they flat out claim they do not collect personal info in their EULA. Not yet anyways.

Protecting your personal info is becoming harder and harder these days.

Hopefully by next year when i will be doing a whole system upgrade Nvidia does away with this BS EULA and gets there shit together in regards to privacy, otherwise AMD is the only option. I refuse to support a company that will collect and sell my personal info. Hopefully enough vote with their wallet that Nvidia wises up.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Normally I'd complain about something like this, but if you're running Windows 10 for DX12, Microsoft is already collecting telemetry data, so it's not as if NV doing likewise is really going to matter that much more.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
^ Unfortunately that stuff doesn't work. Windows 10 telemetry IP addresses are "hardcoded" to bypass its own hosts file. The only real way of blocking it is from outside the OS itself (ie, you add the blacklist in your 2nd link to your router / another PC (not running W10) sitting between yours and your router as a proxy), then stay on top of the list adding any new ones after every single update...

Besides which, on top of W10 spyware stuff there's also the stuff in games no-one has mentioned. Steamworks uses telemetry (what you play, when, for how long, at what times, where you play them, what hardware you have, all linked to your personal details, etc). On top of that many games include their own internal telemetry inside the game itself (eg, Ubisoft's "DNA" tech). The only modern gaming PC's genuinely free of any telemetry are Windows 7 + full offline GOG games.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Do you expect people to read the EULA carefully on each and every update to see if something has changed? And are they stuck with old Nvidia drivers with lower performance and bugs if they don't like the EULA?

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Big Windows 10 update this morning but successfully disabled telemetry processes in the Nvidia drivers, thanks to the article in MajorGeek.

Status
Not open for further replies.