nVidia adding DXR support for Pascal/Turing GTX in April

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-gtx-ray-tracing-coming-soon/

Won't be that useful, but you can at least play with RT.

In their benchmark in Metro Exodus, the 1080 Ti gets 18-19 fps where the 2080 with RT enabled gets roughly 50. Obviously the frame rate gap will depend on how heavily DXR is used.

I could see it (as well as AMD dxr implementation) being ok for indie games that might have significantly less demanding uses of RT. Could be pretty cool for a cel shaded style :)

Reactions: lightmanek

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Tbh I think this is more to get at AMD. Obviously it'll run like rubbish on the non RTX gpu's and make RTX look good. The next question is why doesn't AMD enable DXR. If they do they look behind as they lack performance, if they don't everyone asks why?

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I have two Turing cards.

I still haven't cared to use DXR.

Neat tech demo, but I don't see it as a compelling feature because it murders performance with little that you gain in return.

Reactions: ozzy702
Mar 11, 2004
Tbh I think this is more to get at AMD. Obviously it'll run like rubbish on the non RTX gpu's and make RTX look good. The next question is why doesn't AMD enable DXR. If they do they look behind as they lack performance, if they don't everyone asks why?

I think this is more them just simply supporting DXR, since DXR really has nothing to do with RTX, so Nvidia basically has to support generic DXR unless they wanna try to black box RTX into every game. Which even when they were trying that kinda behavior with Gameworks, often times developers would go with a "generic" version that was often indistinguishable while performing a lot better the following year in the sequel.

Ray-tracing will improve as developers get used to it and figure out what they can and can't get away with and what tricks to use (like falling back to rasterization and cheating when possible) while trying to get performance up. Well that and I'm sure we'll have more "its more cinematic" moments where developers try to justify their low framerates.

The killer app for ray-tracing are gonna be visually impressive but otherwise simplistic indie style games. Like Geometry Wars or that fireworks puzzle game, and there's been some others. Maybe something that even integrates the rays into gameplay. Which a game like Luigi's Mansion (or Ghostbusters), where to catch the ghosts you activate a strong ray-traced light weapon (where the performance hit would be like a slow-mo feature). There's plenty of other ideas (anything with lasers; I played some mobile game where you'd move blocks on a grid to get a laser to hit a switch or target or something, think of a first person VR version of that, where it'd be like those "escape the room" thing but with laser puzzles - some heist game with laser grids). Wasn't there a game kinda like that that came out in the past several years, Talos Principle or something? And something like Portal.

Last edited:

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I have two Turing cards.

Neat tech demo, but I don't see it as a compelling feature because it murders performance with little that you gain in return.

This is my biggest problem. More lifelike doesn't necessarily mean better. I couldn't care less of my lighting is ray traced if it doesn't actually add anything noticeable to the game.

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
Cant wait to use RT on my 1080TI with 10fps:laughing:
So this is like bait yes?Add support for pascal just to show how crap it is at ray tracing and force people to upgrade to RTX cards.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
So this is like bait yes?Add support for pascal just to show how crap it is at ray tracing and force people to upgrade to RTX cards.

This sounds about right.Luckily the only game i have played with RT so far has BF5 and its a game i played a bit of and simply lost interest in playing again.The game sucks that badly and yes i regret spending the $40 on it.I remember someone else in the forums saying that so far games with RT support currently all stink and so far yup it appears so.By the time i even care about a title with RT support,we will prob be sitting in the forums talking about the RTX 3000 series and its very possible $1400 RTX 3080 TI.

Only sensible thing i could perhaps do at this point involving a upgrade is just maybe grabbing a used GTX 1080ti and stick to 1440p till a sensible upgrade is here.Between space invaders and the insane pricing and lack of RT in a actual GOOD game,this series may be the first i have ever shrugged off.I would rather sidegrade to like a 1080p 144hz monitor again to keep performance in check in any possible upcoming game on my 1070ti or possibly upgraded 1080 ti before i pay that insane RT tax to keep playable 1440p performance. I can only hope the next generation stuff is more sensible.

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014

One of the reasons NVidia is enabling this is, to give developers the opportunity to tune the amount of raytracing used, such it can also run reasonably on non-RTX cards. Its not meant to be that likes of Metro Exodus with the current high amount of rays cast run reasonably on non-RTX card.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
I'm glad Nvidia is releasing this. Perhaps the slowness of sales of it's highest end cards vs previous editions has some impact on this release. I'm not sure if the impending release of AMD's Navi cards has any impact on this decision.

Perhaps Nvidia is laying the groundwork for its Ampere 7nm card release?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Well, they want you to move to RTX cards. So they need to show you how slow your old card is.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
This sounds about right.Luckily the only game i have played with RT so far has BF5 and its a game i played a bit of and simply lost interest in playing again.The game sucks that badly and yes i regret spending the $40 on it.I remember someone else in the forums saying that so far games with RT support currently all stink and so far yup it appears so.By the time i even care about a title with RT support,we will prob be sitting in the forums talking about the RTX 3000 series and its very possible $1400 RTX 3080 TI.

Only sensible thing i could perhaps do at this point involving a upgrade is just maybe grabbing a used GTX 1080ti and stick to 1440p till a sensible upgrade is here.Between space invaders and the insane pricing and lack of RT in a actual GOOD game,this series may be the first i have ever shrugged off.I would rather sidegrade to like a 1080p 144hz monitor again to keep performance in check in any possible upcoming game on my 1070ti or possibly upgraded 1080 ti before i pay that insane RT tax to keep playable 1440p performance. I can only hope the next generation stuff is more sensible.

Same boat. Looking to pick up a 2080 ti if prices drop. If they don't I'll prob buy a used 1080 ti with nearly a full warranty.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
I have two Turing cards.

Same, I haven't used any of the RTX features and probably won't until the tech has matured and I'm on a 3000 or 4000 series card. Because I have such limited time to game, I play BFV 90% of the time with buddies I've been playing with for years, I like pulling high fps.

Last edited:
Reactions: IEC
Mar 11, 2004
I'm glad Nvidia is releasing this. Perhaps the slowness of sales of it's highest end cards vs previous editions has some impact on this release. I'm not sure if the impending release of AMD's Navi cards has any impact on this decision.

Perhaps Nvidia is laying the groundwork for its Ampere 7nm card release?

The thing is, DXR is Microsoft's version of ray-tracing. There's just no way that Nvidia is going to not support DXR as well, because of Microsoft's clout and AMD being in the two major consoles, making DXR likely the standard ray-tracing option in games (well, we'll see how the open source version fares). This would be like them not supporting a version of DirectX.

So even if RTX is superior, they'd still need to support DXR because it'll be the default state of ray-tracing for many games.

Think of it like CUDA and OpenCL. They still support the latter even though they push the former, mostly because they need to for compatibility reasons.