nVidia 600 series and PhysX

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Just wondering if anyone has heard about some weird phenomena with the 600 series having major complications with the PhysX setting in video games. Namely Borderlands 2.

While I'm not the one experiencing any difficulty, there is some speculation going on that the 600 series has a glitch in the actual hardware that causes massive problems with PhysX.

Any information on the matter?

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
Could you point to that speculation?
PhysX@high runs like crap in BL2. Even on a Titan@1150. So either what you're saying is true or (more likely) BL2 is just optimized like crap.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I played BL2 with a GTX 660 (non-Ti) and PhysX caused a massive perf hit on anything other than "Low". Maybe it was just because I was using a mid-range card. Or, as mentioned above, maybe it was just poor optimization.

OP's question is a bit vague. I haven't heard of any "massive problems" with PhysX in BL2.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I dont know why some of you are having physx issues in BL 2. except for a couple of well known unoptimized spots, I am pegged at 60 fps with vsync on with just a gtx660ti.

Last edited:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I played BL2 with a GTX 660 (non-Ti) and PhysX caused a massive perf hit on anything other than "Low". Maybe it was just because I was using a mid-range card. Or, as mentioned above, maybe it was just poor optimization.

OP's question is a bit vague. I haven't heard of any "massive problems" with PhysX in BL2.

I have a GTX 660 installed right now along with BL2. Could you tell me your settings? And when you say massive performance hit, did you mean from 80 to 55fps or 80 to 15fps? A little context goes a long way. Thanks!

Keys

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
In heavy fights with lots of particles and explosions my fps go from 60 (vsync) to 40-50. But I should also add that view distance at the highest setting is very CPU heavy and pushed my 3930K@4.2 below 60fps occasionally, even without any fighting. It doesn't matter if I use 1280x720 without AA or 1920x1080 with 4xSGSSAA, this behavior doesn't change in both cases.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I have not seen it drop below 60 fps outside when I tested it with tons of stuff going on. I mean it might for just a split second but nothing hat is noticeable if running without vsync or using adaptive. I dont see how its cpu intensive like you say from the view distance as its only physx that brings framerate down from what would be way over 100 fps outside.

Last edited:

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
It's not that often (the view distance thing). Mostly when you're looking at really wide landscapes filled with lots of objects.
Have you been to the big fight against Jacks flying fortress thing? I definitely had PhysX framedrops below 60 there. I can basically see it all the time when throwing cluster grenades. I can post a Fraps run with 1080p, FXAA and PhysX@high@a dedicated Titan later today. Preferably caustic caverns as that is pretty intense.

Okay, I forgot I'm playing a new character that hasn't reached the Caustic Caverns yet. So I played a bit in Southern Shelf, fought through the camps to get to Boom & Bewm and fought them, including grenades:

1080p, FXAA, PhysX@high is running on an extra Titan.

Last edited:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I purposely went to Caustic Caverns when I got my gtx660ti just to test physx and not once did I come of off 60 fps that I saw. at least not where I was testing. I will run some tests tomorrow but the place where physx is the most demanding to me is where you have to kill the first of 3 assassins. I will briefly drop into the 50s and even 40s in there in a few spots. its because a lot the debris is persistent and then with so much going on it will drop.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
Could you try Southern Shelf, too, please? I'm not that far into the game with my new char and lost my old one. Really go at it so that lots of things are exploding at once (cluster grenades + barrels = win :D).

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I have a GTX 660 installed right now along with BL2. Could you tell me your settings? And when you say massive performance hit, did you mean from 80 to 55fps or 80 to 15fps? A little context goes a long way. Thanks!

Keys

Unfortunately, that was back in October of last year and I don't actually have that card anymore. Sorry. I didn't grab any exact numbers, but the performance dips were always really drastic in firefights with lots of enemies and lots of particles flying around. I think I eventually turned PhysX off to make the game run smoother.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
updates to both drivers and the game itself seemed to have fixed nearly all the issues.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Unfortunately, that was back in October of last year and I don't actually have that card anymore. Sorry. I didn't grab any exact numbers, but the performance dips were always really drastic in firefights with lots of enemies and lots of particles flying around. I think I eventually turned PhysX off to make the game run smoother.

That's interesting because I've had my card for at least as long as you back in October with BL2 and the one thing I noted, and that stood out, was just how excellent the 660 played BL2 with PhsyX set to high at 1920x1200. I admired how powerful GK106 was right from the start.

If the OP would let us know his settings, I'd be glad to replicate if I can.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
That's interesting because I've had my card for at least as long as you back in October with BL2 and the one thing I noted, and that stood out, was just how excellent the 660 played BL2 with PhsyX set to high at 1920x1200. I admired how powerful GK106 was right from the start.

If the OP would let us know his settings, I'd be glad to replicate if I can.
sorry but at launch the game did not play all that well in many spots with physx on high with even a gtx680 nevermind a gtx660. even nvidia themselves had a long gameplay video right around release showing the gtx660ti only getting about 30-40 fps in caustic caverns so a plain 660 would be even worse. performance issues were later addressed but you are mistaken claiming the plain 660 handles physx well at launch.

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
you have to wonder does even pci-e 3.0 work to day , in all combo's > mb -bios - card/s
-imo no - no increase in fps -so what's broken ? cards ,mb ,bios, drivers,os ?
-I have only pci-e 2.0 but seems nv 6xx has had a long list of issues in games. [being pci-e 3.0 ]
hardware or software anyone' s opinion on that.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I found physx on high performance in BL2 to be pretty poor at many times using 680SLI. Generally with a lot of those water effects or heavy debris, particularly the debris from those spiders that you blow their legs off from to kill them.

There is the whole issue with gpu physx not making the most out of cards in SLI though, but it was far from being a consistently good experience at all times. Haven't played since getting my Titans though, I would hope at this point it would be enough.

Metro Last Light is out soon and should be the gpu physx title for this year. Will be interesting to see how it performs considering it should be video card intensive all round before even considering the gpu physx penalty.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
sorry but at launch the game did not play all that well in many spots with physx on high with even a gtx680 nevermind a gtx660. even nvidia themselves had a long gameplay video right around release showing the gtx660ti only getting about 30-40 fps in caustic caverns so a plain 660 would be even worse. performance issues were later addressed but you are mistaken claiming the plain 660 handles physx well at launch.

When was the release date? Ah, September 18th, 2012. There was a fix released October 26th from Gearbox especially factoring in downloadable content that seemed to muck things up.

Last edited: