nVidia "3D VisionFinity"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Matrox has had an adapter out for a long time that would allow you to do that with any video card.

OK, lets put it this way:
You can pay $300 for an HD5850
OR
You can pay $300 for a Triplehead2Go Digital module.

That's right, same price, only you don't get a faster graphics card.
NOT ONLY THAT!
But... with one, you get three outputs that are limited to a maximum of 1680x1050, with the other, that is the same price, and comes with a new graphics card, you can use higher resolutions!

Triplehead2Go was always a gimmick. It was always overpriced, it's horribly limited in terms of what it offers (3x1680x1050 or 2x1920x1200).
While the end function is the same, almost, in that you can use three monitors as a single display, one actually gives you graphics power, and support for high resolution monitors, while the other is horribly crippled.

What Matrox offers (support for 22" monitors, or running monitors at non-native resolution) and what AMD/ATI currently offer aren't really in the same league.

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Just to get the terminology right, it isn't "3D VisionFinity". It is "3D Vision Surround."

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
OK, lets put it this way:
You can pay $300 for an HD5850
OR
You can pay $300 for a Triplehead2Go Digital module.

That's right, same price, only you don't get a faster graphics card.
NOT ONLY THAT!
But... with one, you get three outputs that are limited to a maximum of 1680x1050, with the other, that is the same price, and comes with a new graphics card, you can use higher resolutions!

Triplehead2Go was always a gimmick. It was always overpriced, it's horribly limited in terms of what it offers (3x1680x1050 or 2x1920x1200).
While the end function is the same, almost, in that you can use three monitors as a single display, one actually gives you graphics power, and support for high resolution monitors, while the other is horribly crippled.

What Matrox offers (support for 22" monitors, or running monitors at non-native resolution) and what AMD/ATI currently offer aren't really in the same league.

The matrox solution works with Xfire and has bezel support, don't put it down so fast. You can't say it is a gimmick and then say eye infinity is the best thing since sliced bread without coming over like a fan-boy. Either triple display is cool, in which case tripleheadgo is also cool, or it's a gimmick in which case eye infinity is also a gimmick.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Hahaha you could say that, but with a college degree. ;) I'm just not a fan of Eyefinity or this Visionfinity stuff. Glad it exists, but there's other innovations that I'm excited about.

have you used it?

playing borderlands or wic on 3 28" Hanns Gs off a 5870 is pretty epic

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Waiting for the nVidia apologists to say how awesome nVidia's triple monitor gimmick is the best thing ever, while ATi's is something that no one will want.

Edited for some non troll content, 3 monitors + 3d is going to require some serious power under the hood.

I don't care about 3 monitors... or 3d vision... but 3 monitors with 3d vision? 9D VISION!!! I just splat my pants... Actually, I'll just stick with one big monitor and a secondary smaller monitor and be happy.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Don't knock on things you haven't experienced yet. If you had the money for 3 monitor gaming goodness I'm sure you would enjoy like the guy above who experienced it.

http://hardocp.com/article/2010/01/05/amds_ati_radeon_eyefinity_performance_review/10

It was more a point about borderlands than 3 monitors. Still not interested in 3 monitor though even if they were bezelless the seam would kill it for me. I could afford 3 monitors if I was interested in it. 3 24 inch monitors would cost less than the monitor I use.

veri745

Golden Member
Oct 11, 2007

I heartily appreciate his closing words.

"For god’s sake NVIDIA, if you pull this bullshit where NVIDIA Surround "games" will not work on Eyefinity configurations, we are going to beat NVIDIA down repeatedly and publicly for harming the PC gaming industry. Keep those crappy proprietary PhysX policies, but if you start messing with OUR multi-display gaming and not letting it remain "open platform," I will personally lead the mob with the burning torches to the castle gates. And we will be fully prepared to use the torches. I will personally lead a boycott of NVIDIA products if I see NVIDIA harm multi-display gaming in the marketplace through an IP grab. Multi-display gaming belongs to gamers, not NVIDIA."

TheRickRoller

Dec 2, 2009
"For god’s sake NVIDIA, if you pull this bullshit where NVIDIA Surround "games" will not work on Eyefinity configurations, we are going to beat NVIDIA down repeatedly and publicly for harming the PC gaming industry. Keep those crappy proprietary PhysX policies, but if you start messing with OUR multi-display gaming and not letting it remain "open platform," I will personally lead the mob with the burning torches to the castle gates. And we will be fully prepared to use the torches. I will personally lead a boycott of NVIDIA products if I see NVIDIA harm multi-display gaming in the marketplace through an IP grab. Multi-display gaming belongs to gamers, not NVIDIA."

And I say godspeed sir. Unfortunately it will happen, and nothing will be done.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
It was more a point about borderlands than 3 monitors. Still not interested in 3 monitor though even if they were bezelless the seam would kill it for me. I could afford 3 monitors if I was interested in it. 3 24 inch monitors would cost less than the monitor I use.

Again your are knocking something you haven't tried yet. 3 monitors bring immersion a single monitor can not even with bezels. You are seeing more of the gaming world. It's not just resolution.

If you want you could go with 3 of the monitors you have now. wouldn't that be sweet? Of course if I had the money to drop money just on gaming I would.

A fool and their money are soon parted.

Money come and goes.

mmnno

Jan 24, 2008
The matrox solution works with Xfire and has bezel support, don't put it down so fast. You can't say it is a gimmick and then say eye infinity is the best thing since sliced bread without coming over like a fan-boy. Either triple display is cool, in which case tripleheadgo is also cool, or it's a gimmick in which case eye infinity is also a gimmick.

TH2G is a gimmick because it is a hack job that cannot deliver on what most people would want to use it for. If it could do 3x19x12 or 25x16, that would make it not a gimmick, though it would still be overpriced.

TBH, Eyefinity without bezel management is kind of a gimmick too. The price is right, though.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
So eh, what I'm wnodering is, does this 3d vision surround also work WITHOUT 3D? I'm not to much into the whole 3d thing yet (testing a 3d laptop from asus right now with 120hz panel and nvidia's 3d glasses) but if two fermi-cards can power 3 screens much like eyefinity can, I'm all for it ...

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
"nFinity" sounds better but it's still a copy cat. Definitely not "VisionFinity", lol, I hope not. I never liked the term "Eyefinity", either. NV has had this Eyefinity-like functionality in Quadro line for a long time. I believe it's called "G-Sync". G-Sync sounds OK to me but that's probably not a likely candidate since it may sound like an old/exisiting tech. Maybe "N-Sync"? :biggrin:

Actually, nFinity doesn't sound so bad. easier to say and remember. I don't care for the name Eyefinity either but thats just me. <g>