nVidia 3080 reviews thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Written:

Video:

Last edited:

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Reviews also seem to indicate my 5820k is finally going to be bottlenecking for 144hz refresh rate at 1440p, and I'm sure a number of folks are in this boat too. So upgrading to this prior to also getting Ryzen 3 doesn't make sense anyways

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Review of the EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra - https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-ftw3-ultra/

Got lucky to snag an EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra today and based on the review, I don't know if it's worth waiting for a FTW3 Ultra.

If you are interested, when my FTW3 Ultra arrives, I will be interested in a straight up trade for the XC3 or TUF model. It will be an unopened card straight from EVGA as part of the step up program. My HTPC case is not large enough to accomadate the FTW3 which is why I'm hoping to do a trade.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
If you are interested, when my FTW3 Ultra arrives, I will be interested in a straight up trade for the XC3 or TUF model. It will be an unopened card straight from EVGA as part of the step up program. My HTPC case is not large enough to accomadate the FTW3 which is why I'm hoping to do a trade.

Thanks for offer. Interesting. I was one of the first to sign-up for the auto-notification for the FTW3 Ultra at EVGA, so I know I'll be getting one in the future. Will probably flip it and pocket the cash for now.

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
It's all a fever dream to me until there's any that I can actually buy and put into my machine...
Yep they should stop sending samples to reviewers and YT jerks and send them to the channel for end customers or put a new moratorium on fresh reviews till the product is truly in General Availability status. I don't AT should do a review till these are available in BB/NE/AMZN any day of the week.

Last edited:

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i would be happy to own a 3080, but there are only 2 models listed in my country (gigabyte and inno3d, probably back-orders) and they cost roughly 1100$ inc tax :tired:

• Wow
Reactions: Elfear

Whitestar127

Dec 2, 2011
Message on Hardware Unboxed's YT channel:

--- Nvidia have officially decided to ban us from receiving GeForce Founders Edition GPU review samples . Their reasoning is that we are focusing on rasterization instead of ray tracing. They have said they will revisit this "should your editorial direction change". More to come ---

Oh boy!

One of the comments was pretty neat: Nvidia: The way it's meant to be reviewed™
:grinning:

Post: https://www.youtube.com/post/UgwpWAgG3rz3N8ukXoN4AaABCQ

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
It's well within their rights as a company, but I think they're jackasses for doing it. I'm fairly certain that the reviews do contain ray tracing results, but given that so few games use it or even use it well, it's pretty damned hard to make it the focus of a review.

Also good on Hardware Unboxed for not caving to this kind of corporate bullocks. Reviewers aren't there to shill for companies or act as an extension of their marketing department.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Ridiculous response from Nvidia in this day and age. You can't cover up things by browbeating reviewers. Their cards are already better with rasterization at 4K anyway, and it's not like they are having any trouble selling the cards. It reminds me of the AEG/Rollo business here back in the day.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Maybe they just need to release a video telling consumers to "Just Buy It" and they'll have no problem getting review samples. Quite frankly I don't care about RT because so few games use it and the hardware isn't there to support much more than a few effects at the cost of a lot of performance. Nvidia isn't going to convince me to buy their cards for a feature I don't care about. It isn't as though their cards are bad at rasterization performance either as most reviews have the 3080/90 above the competing AMD card in 4K.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
The accusation is nonsense, because UB want to give RT and DLSS more attention than they can on normal videos and for some time now they are doing dedicated videos exploring these features.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, color me shocked. Well, not really. No new NV cards for me then, this generation. And to think, I was actually considering a 3060 ti last week when they were released. NV can just suck on their own thumb in a corner, I don't care about RT.

Edit: What all of the big tech YT'ers should do, to get back and NV and let them know that they won't be pressured, is to, for one year, refer to NVidia and GTX and RTX cards as "Other". Still review and benchmark them, but NEVER MENTION NVIDIA or their trademarks.

"The AMD RX6800XT is 5% FASTER than the 'Other 3080'".

That should really get on NVidia's nerves.

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Well, color me shocked. Well, not really. No new NV cards for me then, this generation. And to think, I was actually considering a 3060 ti last week when they were released. NV can just suck on their own thumb in a corner, I don't care about RT.

We both know that you'll buy a dozen if the mining performance is good enough.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Wanted to throw out a personal recommendation for the Asus 3080 Tuf Gaming OC. Installed it in my NZXT H1 case which isn't know for it's cooling capabilities. The card after a full session of CP2077 at 4k ultra rt w/dlss never saw temps go above 65C. Can't speak for fan noise as I sit about 10 feet away and have an Atmos setup which overpowers everything. For comparison, the prior EVGA 2080 Super XC would get near 80C very quickly and took awhile to cool down. Good balance of size, thermals and performance. Plus the build quality feels great. Compared to my EVGA 3090 FTW3, this card feels like a solid piece of metal and lacks the plastic embellishments.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
LinusTechTips wan show podcast just read the riot act on the nv-hwub issue.
tldr:
  • this is a shot fired at all tech reviewers
  • hwub has an email from nv detailing the "decision" which is a dogwhistle as Linus puts it.
  • ian cutress will be coming out with his own response, but thanked Linus for making clear what this really entails.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
An idea I'd love to see a HW site capitalize on:

Have an open/revolving "slush fund" of donations from your viewers/readers to purchase new GPUs/CPUs/etc so you're not on the hook from either AMD or NV to receive free samples.

Once you're done reviewing and building out your data base or whatever, raffle the card off to donors.

I'm not a big fan of "Subscribing" to webpages, but I would have no issues throwing some money into the GPU purchase pot for AT or TPU or other good tech sites if it meant I knew they were not beholden to review guides or manipulation from the manufacturer.

gdansk

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2011
Have an open/revolving "slush fund" of donations from your viewers/readers to purchase new GPUs/CPUs/etc so you're not on the hook from either AMD or NV to receive free samples.
The ones with viewership on YouTube already have enough money for that. The problem is they need to get them ahead of time to produce the day 1 coverage. Since the day 1 coverage sets the tones for a launch it's the most important time. Eliminating HWUB for not following Nvidia's reviewer guide makes it clear Nvidia intends to strictly control the day 1 coverage of their cards now that AMD is competitive-ish again.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
An idea I'd love to see a HW site capitalize on:

Once you're done reviewing and building out your data base or whatever, raffle the card off to donors.

I'm not a big fan of "Subscribing" to webpages, but I would have no issues throwing some money into the GPU purchase pot for AT or TPU or other good tech sites if it meant I knew they were not beholden to review guides or manipulation from the manufacturer.

They probably don't even need something like that, particularly if they're a large enough channel. The ad revenue from a single video would more than cover the cost of the card being reviewed.

The issue is that you need to get that card, which is hard enough for anyone right now, and then spend time running the benchmarks and putting the video together, which will launch after everyone else's video.

It's not just getting the card that matters, but being able to get it (and the drivers) early enough to be able to have your article/video ready for the product launch date. You could maybe get around that if you have someone who'll sell you a card before the actual launch date and some other reviewer or hardware insider that can leak you the drivers to test it, but you're basically asking other people to stick their own necks of for you at that point.

Mar 11, 2004
They probably don't even need something like that, particularly if they're a large enough channel. The ad revenue from a single video would more than cover the cost of the card being reviewed.

The issue is that you need to get that card, which is hard enough for anyone right now, and then spend time running the benchmarks and putting the video together, which will launch after everyone else's video.

It's not just getting the card that matters, but being able to get it (and the drivers) early enough to be able to have your article/video ready for the product launch date. You could maybe get around that if you have someone who'll sell you a card before the actual launch date and some other reviewer or hardware insider that can leak you the drivers to test it, but you're basically asking other people to stick their own necks of for you at that point.

That's kinda exactly the issue though. Day1 stuff has a BIG impact on that (meaning, if you don't have your content timed with it, you'll get less viewers). So losing that early access to hardware and drivers could stifle your channel, leading to you being unable to buy that hardware.

I think early drivers these days are probably DRM'ed, and someone selling you a card early could violate other contracts so that's not at all a proper solution.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
I'll probably get flamed for this but ultimately this is the fault of reviewers. They could avoid all issues and influences from Nvidia, AMD etc. by buying their own hardware. I know, "day zero" reviews are supposedly paramount but if all reviewers got their hardware independently the problem would go away.

I'm not a fan of Consumer Reports auto reviews but they never, ever take products from any company they buy them just like you and I or anyone would. Removes any possible greasing of the wheels by auto makers.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I'm not a fan of Consumer Reports auto reviews but they never, ever take products from any company they buy them just like you and I or anyone would. Removes any possible greasing of the wheels by auto makers.

I really like CR car reviews. A lot people dump on them, in favor of the enthusiast publications, but those are complete inconsistent.