Nvidia 1st quarter earnings is tomorrow!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Wasn't the MSRP of the GTX980 TI $649? Is AR actual retail?

Comparison of cards on performance levels is fair game. You run the same benchmark on the same platform etc, etc. That gives a somewhat "more fair" comparison.

Comparing prices?? WOW that's tough.

Since I bought a GTX980 TI SC last year for $629 and since I'd be lucky to get $400 for it now I am the perfect candidate to rant and scream about how unfair Nvidia is but I won't. Ever buy the last year of a car model that changed dramatically the next year and the MSRP stayed nearly the same or crept up a bit? It happens all the time. I try to buy the best I can at the time for what I need ( or want :cool:)

Do we blame the car manufacturer or salesperson for not warning us to wait 1 more year?

Honestly, its easy to fall into that "trap" of I should sell my GTX980TI and get this uber fast 1080 but I don't want to get into that yearly cycle of upgrades just to upgrade.

I custom water cool so my upgrade cost is always more (need a new waterblock).

Nvidia is a great marketing machine that brings great products to market. The ball is in AMD's court.

Last edited:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Haha, major brainfart there.

Still, first node shrink in 5 years and performance/$ stays the same. Not something to celebrate exactly.

It's the same as the introduction of 28nm. Actually worse if you were on the AMD camp.

HD 6970 ($370) to HD 7970 ($550):
~30% faster but cost ~50% more.
EDIT Since you're using the 980 Ti's market price, the 6970 was going for about $350 when the HD 7970 launched according to Anandtech.
550/350 == 57% more for only 30% gains. Come on now!

The pitchforks were a lot tamer then (and I should know, I defended the price.)

Cue Die size argument in 5...4...3...2...

Last edited:

showb1z

Dec 30, 2010
How about not bringing AMD into it for once, this is the Nvidia forum after all.

My previous 3 cards were Nvidia, switched after the 970 mess. Putting it in financial terms: Nvidia lost the balance between creating value for their stockholders and their customers.
The bottom line is Nvidia's gross margins went from mid 30's to mid 50's during 28nm. I simply cannot comprehend why some people are celebrating getting fleeced.

I'll show myself out now.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
How about not bringing AMD into it for once, this is the Nvidia forum after all.

Well it's hard to when people keep saying this price hike is unbearable. However, you're right this is the NV subsection. So I shall refrain.

My previous 3 cards were Nvidia, switched after the 970 mess. Putting it in financial terms: Nvidia lost the balance between creating value for their stockholders and their customers.
The bottom line is Nvidia's gross margins went from mid 30's to mid 50's during 28nm. I simply cannot comprehend why some people are celebrating getting fleeced.

I'm not buying a die. I'm buying performance. If I can get 30%+ performance for <10% price increase from what I would have otherwise bought - why not?

Mar 10, 2006

The GTX 970 at $329 was a great deal at launch.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I hope I am not breaking the sub-forum rules here, but I glad NV is making $$$. I am also glad if all players in the PC gaming market (x86 makers, VR headset companies, and all GPU makers do well). Its good for the industry for the companies to stay around. More than one company can do well, at the same time!

:)

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
I hope I am not breaking the sub-forum rules here, but I glad NV is making $$$. I am also glad if all players in the PC gaming market (x86 makers, VR headset companies, and all GPU makers do well). Its good for the industry for the companies to stay around. More than one company can do well, at the same time!

:)
Yeah really good.Prepare for 1000USD x60 GPU in next 10 years if this NV pricing continue.
From 230USD 560TI to 700USD 1080 in 5 years.

Btw GTX560TI was around 32% faster than last gen flagship GTX285.So yeah it was today GTX1080 for 230USD..(GTX285 is not there, but GTX460 have same performance as GTX285).
perfrel_1920.gif

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
BUT:
Professional Visualization, 189mil
Datacenter 143 mil
Automotive 113mil
OEM & IP 173mil
(618mil Non gaming revenue!)

+47% in automotive. They nailed that one.

Some heads are going explode. Unless people think Nvidia is lying on the finacial reports.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Finished @ $40.98 a share, it's 15% up & their highest stock price ever! Sold in the morning @ $40.10 for a decent 12% from yesterday, but can't complain. Good on Nvidia & I'll definitely be revisiting that stock. It's just that most of the tech stocks are @ all time highs so IMHO not a good time to stay in.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Finished @ $40.98 a share, it's 15% up & their highest stock price ever! Sold in the morning @ $40.10 for a decent 12% from yesterday, but can't complain. Good on Nvidia & I'll definitely be revisiting that stock. It's just that most of the tech stocks are @ all time highs so IMHO not a good time to stay in.

Agree. Its noteworthy that Nvidia massed 20 billion $ value and is now at 22 billion $.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
well they finished off with a final 18% rise in Nvidia stock over 2 days. Market cap is now $23.10 billion, so quite the jump for good ol Nvidia! Now lets see if Pascal flies off the shelves this quarter.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Wasn't the MSRP of the GTX980 TI $649? Is AR actual retail?

Comparison of cards on performance levels is fair game. You run the same benchmark on the same platform etc, etc. That gives a somewhat "more fair" comparison.

Comparing prices?? WOW that's tough.

Since I bought a GTX980 TI SC last year for $629 and since I'd be lucky to get $400 for it now I am the perfect candidate to rant and scream about how unfair Nvidia is but I won't. Ever buy the last year of a car model that changed dramatically the next year and the MSRP stayed nearly the same or crept up a bit? It happens all the time. I try to buy the best I can at the time for what I need ( or want :cool:)

Do we blame the car manufacturer or salesperson for not warning us to wait 1 more year?

Honestly, its easy to fall into that "trap" of I should sell my GTX980TI and get this uber fast 1080 but I don't want to get into that yearly cycle of upgrades just to upgrade.

I custom water cool so my upgrade cost is always more (need a new waterblock).

Nvidia is a great marketing machine that brings great products to market. The ball is in AMD's court.
AR is generally 'after rebate.' Basically, the claim/comparison is an after-rebate price (over 11 months after launch) to a card that has just been released. I also have yet to see a 980Ti under $530, even after rebate.