nV: Fermi gaming info forthcoming

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I guess you can add "playing victim" and calling "Amdzone Invasion" to the bingo.

Clarifying, it was one post making fun of you, followed by everyone laughing at it.

To be fair to wreckage, a lot of threads have more people being rabidly pro-amd although this one just has a bunch of wreckage bashing and otherwise not bad.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It was an announcement that there will be a future announcement. I'm not sure that qualifies as news.

Maybe news isn't the correct word in this case. However you understand where I'm coming from. Some word out of NV is better than nothing at all. At least to those of us who are playing the waiting game on DX11 cards until we have both options in front of us to look over.

I think there is few who really need more than a GTX260 or 4890 for their current lineup of games. It will be a while yet before anything really makes me want a new card. Crysis is the exception and I believe the engine is poorly coded on purpose. I ignore those FPS numbers entirely. DX11 games, well I'd have to see a game that is actually a good game. I've seen trailers for a few upcoming titles like Alien vs Predator. I'm reserving judgment until there is a gameplay review. I don't want to buy into another Crysis.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Ahh, pleahhhse. What are you playing, chess and WoW, perhaps even ETQW? FYI playing at 30-40fps is NOT gaming, that's struggling - you have to hit around 50-60fps on average to make sure it doesn't dip below 30 too many times.
My 4850 x2 2GB - quite a bit faster than your SLI, mind you - can handle everything but not at full blast, you have no idea what are you talking about if you really believe this.
Forget Crysis, this lame crap engine - try playing STALKER: Clear Sky everything maxed out in 1920x1200 or try World in Conflict maxed out in a nice, massive scene or something modern, demanding stuff. Your 8800GT SLI will struggle, I bet.

BTW unless you use a CRT switching to lower resolution gives you the worst picture quality you can get, thanks to cheap scalers in flat panels.

Let me explain out something to you.

The days of turning everything down to low settings to get 120fps are done. Get over it. You can have a very enjoyable game experience with the setup mentioned at 1900x1200. Even with games on max quality. You don't always need super high fps for an enjoyable experience. The game can be smooth at 20fps. The problem for you is you forget that the DIPs is what makes the game seem to chop. If the game is a solid 20fps it will be better than 60 average with dips to 30. You'll always notice when the FPS tanks.

Having said that, Crysis running at around 30fps average for me at 1900x1200 with some AA and AF is very enjoyable to play. It doesn't seem slow at all when you are playing.

As for scaling, some monitors do 1:1 scaling and there are times that running a 1900x1200 monitor at 1680x1050 is not bad at all. Not all monitors suck at scaling.