NV 780 GTX buyers remorse from AMD 290X card

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
To be fair 3d they are dropping at 13mhz each time....

Did you see the chart in the post? Maybe I'm just not understanding your response. There's definitely more than 13MHz difference between the plain card, and what they do with 2 fans blowing on them.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Did you see the chart in the post? Maybe I'm just not understanding your response. There's definitely more than 13MHz difference between the plain card, and what they do with 2 fans blowing on them.

Indeed,im still thinking of my card before flash,these keplar cards my mem is fuzzy.certainly looks like more than 13mhz.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
The ambient temps must have been 30C or something. I have a reference MSI that rarely cracks 80 with no vsync when gaming @ 1.2ghz running at 1.2v. In no situation would my card throttle at stock settings.

Well, I'm posting this because people are acting like we've never seen cards throttle in reviews before at stock settings, when that's not the case. I've never seen a review posted where the ambient temps were 30°, though.

To be clear, I have no reason to doubt what you've said your experience is. It's just not at all what Hardware.fr experienced. For comparison purposes, we can only really go by published reports from reliable sites. Hardware.fr is just that.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
there is pretty much no situation in which the 780/Titan wont run at full boost. Most all of them can run oc'd to 1.1ghz or higher at stock voltage without hitting the stock temp or TDP cap.

They both throttle. The Titan always goes down to baseclock after ~5mins. The only good part is that nVidia specify a baseclock and for the Titan that the baseclock is only ~30Mhz slower. For the 780 its a whole other matter.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
I bought my Classified 780 GTX Hydro's right after the release of BF4 Beta to smooth things up. After seeing the reviews of the 290X I thought I would have some buyer's remorse; however, I'm not sure I really have. The cards run 1300 on core w/ 1.17v and don't generate an unmanageable amount of heat (they are tied to a quad radiator and I have a second in the loop for CPU). I would like to see some heavily overclocked tests between the 290x on water vs the 780 on water before I get a lot of buyer's remorse.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I bought my Classified 780 GTX Hydro's right after the release of BF4 Beta to smooth things up. After seeing the reviews of the 290X I thought I would have some buyer's remorse; however, I'm not sure I really have. The cards run 1300 on core w/ 1.17v and don't generate an unmanageable amount of heat (they are tied to a quad radiator and I have a second in the loop for CPU). I would like to see some heavily overclocked tests between the 290x on water vs the 780 on water before I get a lot of buyer's remorse.

Its damn fast cards you have. No big difference either way as it is unless you run at high res.

But mantle could change it more radically for especially bf4. We will see how it pans out.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
I would also note, realistically the high-end (prosumer, whatever they call it now) has always been an expensive game. If you are buying at the high end, I always figure 50% depreciation a year. If you can afford it and the other stuff ends up coming out a lot better, buy new stuff.

haroiaroll

Oct 27, 2013
I would also note, realistically the high-end (prosumer, whatever they call it now) has always been an expensive game. If you are buying at the high end, I always figure 50% depreciation a year. If you can afford it and the other stuff ends up coming out a lot better, buy new stuff.

/nods If you desire to enjoy the best you must always be willing to spend for the VGA.

Too I replaced 780 to 290x soon going h20 :twisted:

c_SSVc_VEh.jpg

UAoc_Ntih.jpg

XNrk_Htq.jpg

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
^^In other words, you spent more money to get the same performance. Kind of negates the whole price/performance argument so many try to make.

haroiaroll

Oct 27, 2013
^^In other words, you spent more money to get the same performance. Kind of negates the whole price/performance argument so many try to make.

performance is more.

from benchmark new system improvements 10-15% :twisted:

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Unless he shelves the GTX 780, he can sell it for probably more than he paid for the 290X and he's still getting ~10% more performance. Sounds like he did get better price/performance.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
This is the first card from amd in a very long time that makes me want to switch back to them. When water blocks mature for it I'll have a look.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
oh so you are smarter than all the AMD engineers put together. AMD has done their research and back the cards with warranty. the reviews put the quiet mode for the R9 290X card on par with Titan. the uber mode is faster if you want it. but at a noise tradeoff. out of the box this card embarasses the GTX 780 and is on par with GTX 780 OC for a 100 bucks lower price. the power difference is around 50 - 60w against a stock GTX 780. against GTX 780 OC the gap is lesser.

btw there are scores of GTX 480 users running their cards after 3+ years with 90 - 95 c temps. actually the GTX 480 is a beast of a card. at launch it looked bad because of early drivers (completely new scalable DX11 architecture) and lack of DX11 games. look at today's games like BF4, Crysis 3, Metro Last Light. the GTX 480 bulldozes (could not resist that) the HD 5870. :biggrin: 40% faster than HD 5870. Fermi is probably Nvidia's most forward looking architecture. :thumbsup:

http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/17679-grafikprestanda-i-battlefield-4-beta/3#pagehead

Get off your high horse mate, im sure your smart enough to know exactly what i said, whats with putting words in peoples mouths eh?
Im sure you have already seen articles where this card throttles back to lose 20-30% for its speed after gaming for a few hours.
There is no embarrassment other than AMD failed again with its cooler..

Smarter than the AMD engineers....get a grip mate....

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I have a 770 with 'boost 2' which I think the 780 has too. With MSI AB or Evga Precision, there are Power Target and Temperature Target sliders. The temp target is typically from 70 to 80c (it varies depending on card, esp AIBs), and when it reaches that, yes it throttles. But you can move the slider way past that to 95c (on my MSI gamer at least) and it will no longer throttle. This feature was not on GTX 6xx keplers I believe, but on 770 and 780. Dont know about Titan.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Get off your high horse mate, im sure your smart enough to know exactly what i said, whats with putting words in peoples mouths eh?
Im sure you have already seen articles where this card throttles back to lose 20-30% for its speed after gaming for a few hours.

I can guarantee you that any card will throttle, or event die if you set the fan too low. It doesn't take genius to spot the fact that in not a single scenario you "listed" the fan topped out?
How about backing your claims?

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
Unless he shelves the GTX 780, he can sell it for probably more than he paid for the 290X and he's still getting ~10% more performance. Sounds like he did get better price/performance.

In that case, yes. That is better, but he still lost money on the deal given the price he paid for the 780 more than likely.

If anyone has $100 they would like to just throw away, my PM's are open.

Piklar

Aug 9, 2013
I still think that the reference GTX 780 is more elegant than the reference 290X and remember when 1st seeing the 290X that it was a card designed with 4K in mind. Do I have buyers remorse having owned SLI 780s for months now? Not at all. The only remorse I have is that I cannot justify building a 2nd PC with Aftermarket Crossfire 290Xs just for fun or justify buying a 4K display that can handle 3840x2160 @60Hz..

Last edited:

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004

Hey, another exaggeration. Try reading what other people say instead of the naysayers of this particular forum. Try OCN.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Haskellcoder's one and only post is apparently is last and only post. I suppose his buyers remose subsided.