NV 780 GTX buyers remorse from AMD 290X card

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
Ah, just to let you know the 290X has a[n inferior] reference cooler which is preventing anyone from really OCing the card. Once the custom cards start coming out this card should bury GTX 780 and Titan because it will be voltage unlocked.

I'm probably going to put mine under water where it should take off.

Profanity isn't allowed in the technical forums.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The nice thing about AMD ref cards is you have the option sometimes available.

Anybody who had a ref design 5850 had the same option to flash the Asus 5870 modded bios....Didn't hurt the card at all as long as you could keep it cool.

Bios flash is not a big deal really....I guess technically you could call it modded. More like enhanced in reality.

Looking at your sig it seems like you weren't happy with stock performance (clock speed) of your card....Go figure!

Overclocking is totally different from flashing a non standard bios.

I've seen plenty of people talk about 780's and voltage "hacks" to get them up to insane speeds. I see this as no different, if it can be done lets talk about it since it adds value to the purchase.

Then you compare those nodded parts to other modded parts. That's fair. What I don't ever find a fair comparison is when you mod one card and then say something to the effect of "the other card is worthless cause you can mod this card". No matter which manufacturer is being compared.

Last edited:

WinSomeLoseNone

Oct 24, 2013
Ah, just to let you know the 290X has a[n inferior] reference cooler which is preventing anyone from really OCing the card. Once the custom cards start coming out this card should bury GTX 780 and Titan because it will be voltage unlocked.

I'm probably going to put mine under water where it should take off.

I'm waiting for the Non-ref coolers before making the jump.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013

Then you compare those nodded parts to other modded parts. That's fair. What I don't ever find a fair comparison is when you mod one card and then say something to the effect of "the other card is worthless cause you can mod this card". No matter which manufacturer is being compared.

Can't the same be said about comparing reference to non-reference?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Flashing the bios is totally different from breaking out the soldering iron, wires, pcb's....What's your point.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Can't the same be said about comparing reference to non-reference?

Depends on the price differential IMO. A premium card like classified or something I wouldn't compare directly. A standard Asus or MSI card that just costs $20 more sure.

This is just how I think about it for my own reference. We all have opinions on this subject. What I say is fair you may say "well, maybe not" and have valid reasons in your mind. It is difficult to be on a 100% level field all the time when there are so many variables and versions.

If you refering to 290x overclocking results from ocuk. They flash to asus bios to increase the voltages. When the new version of msi afterburner is available you will not have to flash bios to increase volts
That being said, flashed 290X reference card beats (short benchmarks?) 1310MHz 780 HOF
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25171654&postcount=70

I look forward to seeing this reviewed by a reputable site in the future on more mature drivers for sure.

Last edited:

Aithos

Oct 9, 2013
I don't think you should have buyers remorse. The 290x only beats the reference 780 GTX in performance and then it's honestly 50/50 at anything below 4k resolution. The games that are AMD badged work better with the 290x, the games that are nVidia badged work better with the 780.

In no review have I seen actual numbers where the 290x beats a Titan in any significant way. The 780 GTX if you got an overclocked version (like EVGA superclocked) then that card beats a 290x in basically every way and was only $10 more than the reference.

That isn't to mention that the 780 is getting a price drop and they are releasing a 780ti so that AMD can't even claim to beat the "reference" model anymore. It's all posturing, no one buys the reference 780 unless they intend to overclock it themselves (or if you did you shouldn't).

A lot of the 290x is just hype because a new card released. The same thing will happen when nVidia launches their new cards in Q1 2014. Don't pay attention to ANY companies hype, look at price and benchmarks. I can tell you right now it isn't worth selling your 780 to get a 290x, you won't see any better performance at all.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
just skimmed through the first page, but i dont know why anyone would have buyer's remorse from at least three things i know:
nv's SGSSAA hacks which AMD doesn't do right without serious rendering error even in at least one GE title.
the fact that AMD still has half speed FP16 texture filtering.
and g-sync.

nvidia's drivers may suck but there is hope that one day they'll be open-sourced... we dont know what the future holds on that but i am going to try to be optimistic.
i dont know how hot AMD's newest runs and i dont know whether it has the full compute feature set like the 7900s did, but i do know that the 780GTX is good in both areas.

saw the useless techreport review and it's infuriating that all people care about is performance especially when input lag goes up if you dont cap your frame rate. that said, i hope and believe that i am not the only person who is sick of performance benchmarks which are little more than bs... 3dmark and other performance benchmarks have long outlived their purpose.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
I don't think you should have buyers remorse. The 290x only beats the reference 780 GTX in performance and then it's honestly 50/50 at anything below 4k resolution. The games that are AMD badged work better with the 290x, the games that are nVidia badged work better with the 780.

In no review have I seen actual numbers where the 290x beats a Titan in any significant way. The 780 GTX if you got an overclocked version (like EVGA superclocked) then that card beats a 290x in basically every way and was only $10 more than the reference.

That isn't to mention that the 780 is getting a price drop and they are releasing a 780ti so that AMD can't even claim to beat the "reference" model anymore. It's all posturing, no one buys the reference 780 unless they intend to overclock it themselves (or if you did you shouldn't).

A lot of the 290x is just hype because a new card released. The same thing will happen when nVidia launches their new cards in Q1 2014. Don't pay attention to ANY companies hype, look at price and benchmarks. I can tell you right now it isn't worth selling your 780 to get a 290x, you won't see any better performance at all.

The hype is I can buy a card for $550 that matches the Titan and beats the GTX 780.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The hype is I can buy a card for $550 that matches the Titan and beats the GTX 780.

Read the numbers again...at 1080p and 1440p/1600p the 780 and titan both can beat the 290x in some games. No one card walks over the other across the board.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

And requires your own fusion reactor to power it.

I like that AMD has upped their game and I'm looking forward to the day where I can buy another AMD part, but in the days where where everything is more elegant and efficient, AMD is going the wrong way.

Aithos

Oct 9, 2013

Yeah, I've already addressed those points. It doesn't do either of the things you're saying and you are clearly just a fanboy with blinders on. Sorry, I look at benchmarks and FPS numbers when I compare hardware and they don't lie.

Warning issued for personal attack.
-- stahlhart

Braidster

Apr 14, 2013
Yeah, I've already addressed those points. It doesn't do either of the things you're saying and you are clearly just a fanboy with blinders on. Sorry, I look at benchmarks and FPS numbers when I compare hardware and they don't lie.

Lol you sound like the fanboy....I think you need to invest in some glasses because the reviews I'm seeing all are showing this card beating the 780 and Titan.

Warning issued for personal attack.
-- stahlhart

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Lol you sound like the fanboy....I think you need to invest in some glasses because the reviews I'm seeing all are showing this card beating the 780 and Titan.

In some games. Other games are more favorable to the 780. It is back and forth. Some sites say when you overclock both, the 780 wins. Some say it is the other way around.

The market will be determined by what the 780ti brings. The 780 may drop in price and change things real quick, who knows.

Last edited:

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006

It might be hot and noisy but that doesnt change the fact that (overall) R9 290X beats the GTX780 @ silent mode and matches/beats Titan @ uber mode. Please deal with it. ;)

R9-290X-R-58.jpg

perfrel_2560.gif

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
well the gtx690 walks all over the 290x.........
(goalpost shifted:awe:)

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to have buyers remorse over the 290x but if your in the market for a new GPU today, the 780 is a tougher sale than it ever has been.

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010

Those are stock 780s being used, not the ones people actually buy...the overclocked counterparts from respective AIB Partners that are faster than the Titan already.

The 290X runs very hot and does not have much overclock headroom...so when you factor in end user overclocking...like the argument used to favor the 7950 over the 760...the 780 wins hands down.

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
You should only have buyers remorse if your crystal ball was working and you ignored it. Of course if it was working you would have won the lottery by now and would not care if you dropped any amount of cash on any GPU. so....

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
Read the numbers again...at 1080p and 1440p/1600p the 780 and titan both can beat the 290x in some games. No one card walks over the other across the board.
No, you read the numbers again. The 290X overall is a faster card than GTX 780 and trades blows with a Titan.
And requires your own fusion reactor to power it.

I like that AMD has upped their game and I'm looking forward to the day where I can buy another AMD part, but in the days where where everything is more elegant and efficient, AMD is going the wrong way.
Ok, fusion reactor for like 50 Watts higher power consumption? Sit down.
Don't know what benchmarks your looking at lol.
Anandtech said:
To that end at 2560x1440 – what I expect will be the most common resolution used with such a card for the time being – AMD is essentially tied with GTX Titan, delivering an average of 99% of the performance of NVIDIA’s prosumer-level flagship. Against NVIDIA’s cheaper and more gaming oriented GTX 780 that becomes an outright lead, with the 290X leading by an average of 9% and never falling behind the GTX 780.

[H]ardOCP said:
If it weren't for the $549 price point that AMD has set, many would call this card disappointing. But AMD did the right thing and priced this card incredibly competitive. The GeForce GTX TITAN still has an MSRP of $999, and the GeForce GTX 780 is at $649 MSRP. The Radeon R9 290X at $549 is delivering TITAN performance at a savings of $450 compared to the TITAN price. The Radeon R9 290X is delivering performance better than the GeForce GTX 780 at a price savings of $100. The bang for the buck value is what makes the R9 290X a big winner.
Tom's Hardware said:
In the spirit of getting massive performance at a substantial discount, then, I’m giving AMD’s Radeon R9 290X Tom’s Hardware’s Elite award—the first time a graphics card has received this honor, I believe, during my tenure. The decision was controversial. Nvidia still does thermals, acoustics, and aesthetics better. But now it’s also charging a hefty premium for those luxuries. AMD’s card is faster, cheaper, and it makes an effort to keep acoustics under control, so long as you stick with its Quiet mode.
Techpowerup said:
The card comes with two BIOSes, which lets you pick between a BIOS with lower noise (2000 RPM fan max) called "Quiet" and the "Uber" BIOS that comes without a fan RPM limit, providing increased performance at the cost of more noise. Compared to NVIDIA's lineup, the R9 290X in "Quiet" mode is slightly faster than the GTX 780 and 5% slower than the GTX Titan. With the "Uber" BIOS, the card ends up a bit faster than the GTX Titan. At higher resolutions, like 2560x1600, we see the card outperform NVIDIA's offerings by another few percent.
VWr6I.gif

Oh, I can keep going baby.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
AU? So, let's see... 7950's are $310. 7970's are $390.

GTX 780's are $800.

You should've had buyer's remorse from day 1.

wlee15

Jan 7, 2009
I bought a 780 ACX SC at launch, and have it at 110+ and 375+ memory offset. This is for an already factory overclocked card. It never goes over 78C temp. After reading the 290X reviews, and how it runs super hot, and stock cards have no overclocking room, I am not feeling any buyer's remorse. I am pretty sure an overclocked 780 is just as fast, and runs cooler than a stock 290X.

I am not in the market for a space heater. :p

It's only about 40-50W higher in average system power consumption over a stock 780 so likely you're OC 780 ACX is in the same ballpark as R9 290x heatwise, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually higher.

JDG1980

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2013
No matter what video card you buy, there's probably going to be something better/faster at the same price point a couple months from now. You can't let that indefinitely paralyze you from making a purchase, and shouldn't necessarily feel regrets afterward just because technology marched on.

hawtdawg

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
Im still happy with mine. The temps and noise produced by the reference cards is garbage. My 780 OC'd is probably faster than what you could get out of an OC'd 290X considering it's already hitting 95C in gaming situations.