NV 4060 / 4060TI reviews

Page 35 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Can't help it prices in your country are unfavorable.
It's not that pricing is unfavorable, he just will only shop at one vendor. That same 6800 XT Merc 319 is available at another retailer (Canada Computers) for $699 either at B&M stores or online with free shipping.

Amazon just has pretty bad prices on RDNA2 GPUs relative to other retailers, so for him he's pretty limited. Everyone else can get a better deal if they so chose.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
It's not that pricing is unfavorable, he just will only shop at one vendor. That same 6800 XT Merc 319 is available at another retailer (Canada Computers) for $699 either at B&M stores or online with free shipping.

Amazon just has pretty bad prices on RDNA2 GPUs relative to other retailers, so for him he's pretty limited. Everyone else can get a better deal if they so chose.

I'm not going to buy an expensive GPU from a place that makes returns difficult. Amazon essentially has the gold standard return policy. Especially not the XFX 6800 XT, which is known for loud coil whine (if it does that, I would return it, and I don't want to have to fight about it with the retailer).

Also $699 is more than I'd pay for a 6800 XT even it that was Amazons price, and the Amazon price is not far off today:

$708.98 & FREE Shipping. Details
Price dropped 16% (was $848.89 when added to Wish List)

This is best price I have seen in my Amazon wish list for the 6800 XT, so there must be more push to clear these before the 7800 XT arrives.

Last edited:

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Fair enough, that's your choice. I'm just pointing out that your experience is just that, and it doesn't necessarily extend to the majority of Canadians which is what Thunder seemed to take from it.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Fair enough, that's your choice. I'm just pointing out that your experience is just that, and it doesn't necessarily extend to the majority of Canadians which is what Thunder seemed to take from it.

As noted the difference is only $9 from Amazon and the place you quoted.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
As noted the difference is only $9 from Amazon and the place you quoted.
It is now. On the last page of the thread you posted the cheapest 6800 XT at Amazon at $767, while they've been available at the $700 price point for awhile. It's more just the broad stroke of statements like this paint a slightly distorted picture.
Here, 6800 XT is near 4070 price, and if I'm spending that much, it's an easy choice in favor of the 4070.
The cheapest 4070 is still $100 more than a 6800 XT, so while the 6800 XT is closer in price to a 4070 than a 4060 Ti, it's still a decent chunk cheaper.

Reactions: Tlh97

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Hardware youtubers are turning to drama to increase view count IMO. Views appear to be down and the reason, IMO, is because interest in GPUs is dying fast because of releases like the 4060ti. When interest in GPUs goes down, interest in all other PC hardware goes down as well. Who cares about a fast CPU and ram and all that garbage when there's only one exciting GPU out there and it costs $1600+ ? Nvidia focuses on AI, and all related industries to the gaming GPU start to die. I'm not saying Nvidia is evil, lol. I'd do the same thing they are if that was where the money was. Just an observation.

MoogleW

May 1, 2022
I would say Nvidia's focus on AI does not preclude or go against graphics research, rather it augments graphics research, as the impression I get seeing their recent last few Siggraph and GTC presentations and how they have so far packaged some of the research into usable products, features and or just augmented the existing RT packages.

Looking at the latest gross and net margins of Nvidia (not as high as perceptions are compared to their historical figures), prices are going to be sticky

And yes, drama is why I avoid, or just mute some YT channels when looking at benchmarks

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Hardware youtubers are turning to drama to increase view count IMO. Views appear to be down and the reason, IMO, is because interest in GPUs is dying fast because of releases like the 4060ti.

It could also be because we're at the end of the product stack and everyone knows there's nothing new coming expect for maybe an AMD N32 GPU which I think everyone has realized isn't going to fix any of the issues with RDNA3.

I guess there's also a 4050 to be released, but no one gets excited about the low end anyways. Until there's some buzz about the next architectures from either AMD or NVidia, don't expect a lot of excitement. Unless someone issues a massive price cut. It'll be a while before new CPUs hit the market either. There's a general lull in new exciting products right now. No one is going to release anything big until the back to school season anyways. So give it a few more weeks.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
AMD slips and Nvidia just plays us.
Sad times.

-AMD has a dump truck sized hole here to really come through with N32. It doesn't have to do anything spectacular or new, just be priced well vs the competition and it'll be good by default.

Not a lot of hope of that happening but one of the perks of launching late into a cycle is you know exactly what the competition looks like and what the market will bear.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
-AMD has a dump truck sized hole here to really come through with N32. It doesn't have to do anything spectacular or new, just be priced well vs the competition and it'll be good by default.

Not a lot of hope of that happening but one of the perks of launching late into a cycle is you know exactly what the competition looks like and what the market will bear.
The 7800XT will have to slot in somewhere between the $650 7900 GRE and the $520 6800XT. I wouldn't be surprised to see them price it high and do Starfield bundles. I've been waiting for the 7800XT. If they price it right, I'll grab one.

MoogleW

May 1, 2022

Dump size truck hole compared to the rtx 4070 at $599? I highly doubt 7800XT will be $400 unless they kill margins so maybe $549 for again rtx 4070 (rx 6800XT +-5%) level performance.

It would need to clock well past 3 ghz to make any dent in the segment and I am no buying that it would. Of course an improved price is an improved price but I remain skeptical of any major price shaking, however $450 7700XT could really be good for AMD vs 4060ti (7700XT could be rtx 3070ti level by my own guesstimation, could be interesting how market reacts to 7700XT having less VRAM at 12GB than the maybe slower 4060ti 16GB) but I will stop here to stay in topic here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and Mopetar

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006

AMD is pretty much always in the launching late situation and it's largely disadvantageous. Your competitor launching first may have grabbed most of the price point buyers looking for a new generation part, an have made substantial money at that price point, and are now essentially just waiting for your launch to lower the price and mess with your launch. It's a rough spot to be in.

AMD could launch at $500 RX 7800 XT (Full N32 16 GB), and $400 7700 XT ( Partial N32 12GB) and those would both get very good reviews for being very good perf/$ cards. Though it seems AMD will most likely tack another $50 on to each price to spoil that...

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
It was a lucky draw. At the Nvidia booth, play 3 RTX game demos, including Doom Eternal, Quake 2 RTX, and one other weird one, I forget the name, and you get 3 stamps on a card. Enter the card with a phone number in the raffle. And he won.

I forget the specs, but I think it was the founders edition, so I am guessing an 8GB card? Still, it should be a pretty big upgrade from his 1080, which he said is already being bottle necked by his 3rd gen i7.

Jul 27, 2020
Still, it should be a pretty big upgrade from his 1080, which he said is already being bottle necked by his 3rd gen i7.
Yeah. Should double the FPS in GPU limited scenarios. But he should still try to get a 5600X3D if he can.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah. Should double the FPS in GPU limited scenarios. But he should still try to get a 5600X3D if he can.
5600X3D would be an option as he is close enough to a Microcenter, but since this new build would likely last a long time given him still being on Ivy Bridge, I would likely recommend at least a 5800X3D or similar. A Raptor Lake CPU or Zen 4 would also be an option.

MoogleW

May 1, 2022
I would say Nvidia's focus on AI does not preclude or go against graphics research, rather it augments graphics research, as the impression I get seeing their recent last few Siggraph and GTC presentations and how they have so far packaged some of the research into usable products, features and or just augmented the existing RT packages.

Looking at the latest gross and net margins of Nvidia (not as high as perceptions are compared to their historical figures), prices are going to be sticky

And yes, drama is why I avoid, or just mute some YT channels when looking at benchmarks
Only took a week to be proven right with the announcement of DLSS3.5. I wonder how say DLSS balanced with RR looks vs native and DLSS quality

Last edited: