Number of US drones will nearly triple by 2020: FAA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Dammit man, what do you think global warming is for? Bird strikes are entirely preventable if we can kill them all off.

We could always build our big windmills near all the airports. That'll learn them birds!

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
What you say is completely true. I use commercial airliners and I couldn't give a fuck about drones or their idiot users.

That said, I didn't say they should be banned but they should be regulated and they definitely should be prohibited around the approach and take off areas of airports.

Well as an idiot drone user I can point out that the FAA already does regulate them and they are already prohibited from flying within 5 miles of an airport unless you've contacted air traffic control.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/

Many of the newer models will gradually lower their altitude until they refuse to take off once they get within range of an airport. (While this feature is generally enabled the first time you set the drone up it can be turned off and older ones like mine don't have it. So I use don't fly here )

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
That risk is not only to you. Other vehicles have to avoid you. For a personal anecdote, a friend of mine in high school had is foot slip off his pedal and crashed into a parked car. Almost knocked himself out. He dented the car and busted the windshield. (He was 220).

Bicyclists can and have killed others.

Drones so far have not, (there was a hobbyist killed by an RC helicopter with metal blades - clipped his neck)

The point is a bike and drone are similar in that they are only really a risk if the operator is being careless or stupid with them. Drone operators now have to pay to register with the FAA. Bikes generally don't require anything.

I support the registration because newbs are doing stupid things due to ignorance. Education and maybe a few publicized busts are all that's really needed. IMHO

Two words: bike lanes

And no, I'm not a risk to anyone else when I ride. You are just plain wrong on this one.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Two words: bike lanes

And no, I'm not a risk to anyone else when I ride. You are just plain wrong on this one.

Great. I'm sure you always ride responsibly. :thumbsup:
I'm not a danger with my drone either as I fly responsibly.

But it's a fact bicyclists have killed people.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/bicycle-crash-kills-another-pedestrian-central-park
thirty-one-year-old musician on a racing bike struck a fifty-eight-year-old mother in Central Park. The accident took place at 4:30 in the afternoon, in total daylight. The victim, Jill Tarlov, died three days later, on Monday, of severe head trauma. The N.Y.P.D. said that the bicyclist, Jason Marshall, had swerved to avoid a group of pedestrians before crashing into Tarlov. Following Tarlov’s death, Marshall said that it was “an unavoidable accident.” It has not yet been determined how fast he was going, and he has not been charged with a crime

Some are even charged with a crime
http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2013/08/15/107079/Chris-Bucchere-Sutchi-Hui-bicyclist-pedestrian

The Marin County bicyclist who fatally struck a pedestrian crossing the street in San Francisco’s Castro neighborhood was sentenced Thursday to three years of probation and 1,000 hours of community service.

Drones are already regulated. Enforcement needs to catchup with the number of newbs doing stupid things but treating them like some existential threat to everyone's safety is overblown imho.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Drones are already regulated. Enforcement needs to catchup with the number of newbs doing stupid things but treating them like some existential threat to everyone's safety is overblown imho.
As it should be.

And maybe we could solve the turtle problem while we're at it.
Since 1990, the FAA recorded 198 airplane-and-turtle collisions, and exactly zero drone-and-airplane collisions. Even when the FAA warned about an increase in drone and airplane “encounters” earlier this year, the encounters were limited to drone sightings, not actual collisions.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Wait till the police and media have them. It will be a world like Minority Report.
Or Google.

"Hey there, your Nest thermostat and Android phone indicated that you're going to ask your Google autocar to take you to the mall, where you'll be doing some shoe shopping. Here are some sponsored stores that you might want to check out: ..."

<Drone buzzes by again as you get out of your car, with an OLED video ad banner dangling below it.>
"...I've noticed that you haven't bought anything at any of our sponsored stores in the past 2 weeks. Did you know that continuation of this will constitute a violation of our TOS agreement? Vehicle service disruptions may occur should that happen."

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
There was a news story recently about a commercial airliner on approach to LAX sighting a drone in its airspace. It came within 200' of the aircraft which was flying at 5,000 ft.

They need heavier restrictions for sure.

None of those things could bring down a commercial airliner. That amount of risk is just unacceptable.
This story has been proven false, and a fabrication, as has over 90% of all of these so called, "close encounters". Yet you lapped it up like the uninformed, uneducated, indoctrinated, easily manipulated government lapdog that you are. Since the first of the year there have been over 1400 bird encounters reported, over 200 resulted with damage.In the near 60+ year history of hobby model aviation only 2 incidents have been reported of a collisition between a model, and a manned aircraft.Of the hundreds of drone sightings/reports, over the years less than a hundred were confirmed by the FAA, and less than a dozen were considered a threat.Unlike the undocumented threat of toy aircraft, there is the *DOCUMENTED* proof that anyone riding a motorcycle of over 500cc is a danger, and a threat on our roadways. Need I post up hundreds of videos? There is no need for anyone to have a high powered motorcycle, a toy aircraft that can fly more than 200 feet, and a black rifle that can fire more than 7 rounds. In the words of your great, and esteemed Senator from California, Dianne Feinstein, ----
"AMERICA, TURN THEM IN".
Seems it was all too easy to get you to vilify, condemn, and demand heavy restrictions on a group of people, and a hobby you know absolutely nothing about. If you did, you would have known that story was a lie from the beginning. What the pilot saw was a helium party balloon. The odds of a hobby aircraft bringing down a commercial airliner, especially over 5000 feet, is over 1 in 10 million."unacceptable risk"???
The odds of some rice burner riding, hooligan such as yourself tearing up the back roads of San Diego causing an accident, or at least getting a good case of road rash this weekend is,-----
BAZINGA! :D

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
This story has been proven false, and a fabrication, as has over 90% of all of these so called, "close encounters". Yet you lapped it up like the uninformed, uneducated, indoctrinated, easily manipulated government lapdog that you are. Since the first of the year there have been over 1400 bird encounters reported, over 200 resulted with damage.In the near 60+ year history of hobby model aviation only 2 incidents have been reported of a collisition between a model, and a manned aircraft.Of the hundreds of drone sightings/reports, over the years less than a hundred were confirmed by the FAA, and less than a dozen were considered a threat.Unlike the undocumented threat of toy aircraft, there is the *DOCUMENTED* proof that anyone riding a motorcycle of over 500cc is a danger, and a threat on our roadways. Need I post up hundreds of videos? There is no need for anyone to have a high powered motorcycle, a toy aircraft that can fly more than 200 feet, and a black rifle that can fire more than 7 rounds. In the words of your great, and esteemed Senator from California, Dianne Feinstein, ----
"AMERICA, TURN THEM IN".
Seems it was all too easy to get you to vilify, condemn, and demand heavy restrictions on a group of people, and a hobby you know absolutely nothing about. If you did, you would have known that story was a lie from the beginning. What the pilot saw was a helium party balloon. The odds of a hobby aircraft bringing down a commercial airliner, especially over 5000 feet, is over 1 in 10 million."unacceptable risk"???
The odds of some rice burner riding, hooligan such as yourself tearing up the back roads of San Diego causing an accident, or at least getting a good case of road rash this weekend is,-----
BAZINGA! :D

Um, while I disagree with Jules characterization of drones and drone owners let me point out we were talking about his use of a bicycle not motor bike.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Back in the early 1980's I use to freeze paint balls and then shoot out headlights at the local Cadillac dealership at night. I would imagine they'd be able to do some damage.

Hmm, now to build an automated device using home made radar.

Oh, I was just making fun of your missing the ball part in the paint gun...

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Um, while I disagree with Jules characterization of drones and drone owners let me point out we were talking about his use of a bicycle not motor bike.
Oh he'll know what I'm talking about. We are both from San Diego, and we both ride motorcycles. On the winding back hills country roads there are a least 2, or 3 sportbike accidents a weekend. Snooty, highly offended, whiny, butt hurt response in, 5,----4,-----