Nuclear proliferation spreads to Southeast Asia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6534J720100604
A five-year investigation by the Norway-based Democratic Voice of Burma (DVB) concluded that Myanmar, formerly Burma, was a long way from producing a nuclear weapon but had gone to great lengths to acquire the technology and expertise to do so.

Looks like Burma is trying to go nuclear, albeit they still have ways to go. Not sure if the military dictatorship's intentions are to use it as a deterrent (I believe some world powers are pissed at them over human rights), sell them or wipe a civilization off the earth (which I doubt). As more countries attempt to acquire nuclear weapons, it will make the isolation attempts of the U.N. against North Korea and Iran interesting to say the least. It would be nice if we could "contain" nuclear weapons to stable nations that seek to only use them as a deterrent, but that seems to be getting more and more difficult.

FWIW, Burma signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Does anyone believe in gun control? Yes? How about for nuclear weapons?

At some point we have to draw a line. Or shall I go to Walmart to pick up MY nuclear weapon?

Elias824

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2007
Does anyone believe in gun control? Yes? How about for nuclear weapons?

At some point we have to draw a line. Or shall I go to Walmart to pick up MY nuclear weapon?

you should see if you can buy a nuke from Russia if you have an extra billion or so laying around, im sure they could use the cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.