NTSC movies stutter every few mintues, looking for solution

sargee

Mar 8, 2015
Hello,

I have the following set-up:
Panasonic TX-42ASM651 attached to Shuttle XH61V with HDMI
This Shuttle barebone contains a Intel i3-2100 with Intel HD Graphics 2000 and 8GB RAM.
GPU.PNG

OS is a fresh install of Windows 8.1 with latest updates and latest drivers for everything.
I installed MPC-HC 32-bit version 1.7.8 with ReClock 1.8.8.4. The only adjustments I made within MPC-HC and ReClock are settings to enable WASAPI Exclusive.
For the rest no additional software is installed to ensure a stable as possible system for smooth HD playback. No weird processes are running either.

When I play an 23.976 fps movie I set the refresh rate to 24.000 Hz and let ReClock resample the audio so media is played back at 24.000 fps (see screenshot below)
i3-2100%20intel%20hd2000.PNG

When I take a look at the graph /statistics (CTRL+J) then everything looks nice. It also shows that framedrops shouldn’t be the issue.
iokqjt.jpg

Still every 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 minutes I get a slight stutter which is really annoying for me. I can't exactly measure the time intervals, because it depends on the type of scene which is playing to notice this ofcourse. I get this behaviour with all kinds of NTSC movies. I mostly watch Blu-ray like screenshot.

Before this setup I also used MPC-HC with ReClock on another PC (which crashed, so that's why I replaced it) and never had issues..

CPU usage during playback is around 12% and the screenshot below shows that the GPU also doesn’t have a hard time handling it all.
gpu%20load.PNG

Does anyone have some advice on how to solve this?
Thanks in advance !!

Last edited:

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
All of Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs exhibit this behavior. Copy and paste this into Google exactly, and you will have days worth of reading about this bug to do: Intel 23.996 fps bug forums.anandtech.com

edit: This only happens when using the built-in iGPU. It doesn't happen when using hardware acceleration from an nVidia or AMD dedicated GPU.

edit #2: This article here has all of the relevant info, and doesn't take long to read: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/...-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/7

Last edited:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
^^^ They covered it. Thankfully this was fixed in the Haswell/4600 on board video.

sargee

Mar 8, 2015
Thanks for the responses! I thought that this 23.976 bug could be 'solved' with Reclock since I have a perfect 24.000 refresth rate and Reclock can resample audio so I get 24.000 fps....

So I understand that this can't be done with this iGPU?

btw: I don't use network. I play from SATA HDD

sargee

Mar 8, 2015
I will give it a shot, but I already noticed that GPU usage with madVR is 95% when watching fullscreen Blu-ray, so I'm afraid it won't be running smooth under particular circumstances like shots with a lot of movement.. correct me if I'm wrong..

sargee

Mar 8, 2015
Thanks to the advice from Gonad I have stutter free video now and with exclusive fullscreen mode the GPU usage is below 60%! I'm glad that I followed your advice and didn't go with the other responses I got. I almost bought new equipment..

btw, the frame drops/repeats you see in the screenshot below only happen when I get out of exclusive fullscreen mode and go back.

when playing: 1 frame repeat every 1,76 days :)

j9mqyw.jpg