NTLDR Missing?

xchangx

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
I need to boot up my hard drive on a nother computer and I keep getting a "NTLDR missing Press any Key to restart".

What's wrong?

Chang

FirmPete

Dec 11, 2000
It means it had an nt/win2k installation on it. The bootsector of it is looking for ntldr, one of the files nt/win2k uses to boot

xchangx

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
Ok, but why is it not finding it? I put it back into my computer and it works fine.

Chang

hoihtah

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
i sometimes get this message, when i o/c too much.
try booting at a lower speed.

Slikkster

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
Any chance you have a floppy in the drive on the other pc without knowing it while trying to boot up?

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
are there multiple partitions on your hard drive? If you stick the HD in another computer that already has a HD you will need to edit the boot.ini file. For instance, in your original computer, win nt is installed on the d: partition. If you stick it in another computer with another HD, the d: becomes e:.

That may not be the problem, but the same has happened to me before.

Slikkster

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
I thought about that, too, Rudder, but from his other posts it appeared that Win2K was on Drive C: on his normal computer, with Windows ME on Drive D:. Assuming he hooked it up on the second computer as Drive C: (normal boot drive), I don't see why booting would fail, unless it's because boot.ini still shows the additional partition that isn't there and causes a fail. I haven't found any support documents that reflect that possibility as yet, though. In other words, if he always had win2k on drive c: and just switched the drive to another computer as drive c: there, I don't see the boot fail issue occuring. However, if it is happening later in the hardware detect sequence, then that is certainly plausible because of different peripherals and motherboard. The NTLDR missing error is usually the first thing that will kick in, though, so I would suspect elsewhere.

In the end, I think the fact that the hardware is different on the second pc will cause no end of problems even if it did boot successfully.