NRA: Enemies of 2nd Ammendment Right to Bear Arms List

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
NRA: Enemies of 2nd Ammendment Right to Bear Arms List

The NRA has put a list of Organizations and individuals that have "Publicly" spoken out for banning Guns from the general public.

The controversy apart from ONLY the Military, Criminals and Law Enforcement having guns is does the NRA have the right to publish such a list, ABSOLUTELY, under the 1st Ammendment. Those people have PUBLICLY spoken about their wishes to have guns banned. If I said such a thing I would have no qualms with the NRA putting my name on the list.

They should have a supporters list too of those that have PUBLICLY spoken in support of the 2nd Ammendment.

People will continue to be idiots whether guns are banned or not but the balance of Control would shift even further for Criminals and Government if Guns are taken out of the hands of the general public on a legal basis.

Dec 8, 2002
Well what am I supposed to do if the red coats come storming into New England and Al Franken has had my musket taken away? Dman you, Stewart Smally... DAAAAMN YOOOOOU!!!

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What purpose does this NRA list serve ? I don't see any besides an attempt to facilitate harrassing the people on the list.

And there is no absolute 1st amendment right, as you put it. In a case like this a court would have to decide between conflicting rights.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch
What purpose does this NRA list serve ? I don't see any besides an attempt to facilitate harrassing the people on the list.

And there is no absolute 1st amendment right, as you put it. In a case like this a court would have to decide between conflicting rights.

How is it harrassment? You don't have to look at the list if it offends you.

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch What purpose does this NRA list serve ? I don't see any besides an attempt to facilitate harrassing the people on the list. And there is no absolute 1st amendment right, as you put it. In a case like this a court would have to decide between conflicting rights.

He said to facilitate harrasment. Like the list of abortion doctors some of the extremist pro-life groups put out.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The NRA and their protect the country crap is a world class joke. The Supreme Coup just seized the government from the elected President and the gun owners didn't do a thing. Tells you one thing........the people with guns are the ones who supported the coup.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: dpm
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch What purpose does this NRA list serve ? I don't see any besides an attempt to facilitate harrassing the people on the list. And there is no absolute 1st amendment right, as you put it. In a case like this a court would have to decide between conflicting rights.

He said to facilitate harrasment. Like the list of abortion doctors some of the extremist pro-life groups put out.

OK, you are focusing on an external word (Faciliate) for a third party's possible criminal actions. Don't you think the focus should be on the criminal actions of the nut job extremists instead of infringing on the freedom and rights of a group expressing their rights properly and civilily under the freedom and protection given by the Consitution itself?

People have completely given up on and thrown away the meaning and value of the Constitution and what it stands for in having a free Country. Might as well burn it and and have the Country be like the old Russia or Nazi Germany, that is what so many people are pushing for.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
The NRA and their protect the country crap is a world class joke. The Supreme Coup just seized the government from the elected President and the gun owners didn't do a thing. Tells you one thing........the people with guns are the ones who supported the coup.

Well, if Herr Gephardt gets his way, he said he will correct the bad rulings make by the Supreme Court :) ...you still aren't over the 2000 election, MirrorMan? Put your dangling chad away and clean the hatred off your magic mirror?you aren?t see clearly anymore.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
DMCowen674-

I'm asking what is the purpose of such a list ?

I'm not saying how the conflict between 1st amendment and other Constitutional rights should be decided, mostly because I haven't heard why the NRA wants to have this list, which I would want to know before expressing an opinion.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
DMCowen674-

I'm not saying how the conflict between 1st amendment and other Constitutional rights should be decided, mostly because I haven't heard why the NRA wants to have this list, which I would want to know before expressing an opinion.

Doesn't matter what the purpose of the list is, the list is just a list. Happens to be a list of people that have publicly spoken out against guns and the 2nd ammendment.

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
Originally posted by: dpm
OK, you are focusing on an external word (Faciliate) for a third party's possible criminal actions. Don't you think the focus should be on the criminal actions of the nut job extremists instead of infringing on the freedom and rights of a group expressing their rights properly and civilily under the freedom and protection given by the Consitution itself? People have completely given up on and thrown away the meaning and value of the Constitution and what it stands for in having a free Country. Might as well burn it and and have the Country be like the old Russia or Nazi Germany, that is what so many people are pushing for.

Um, I'm confused, dmcowen674, what do you mean by "external word"?

Oh, and lets try to avoid dragging the Nazis into every thread, ok? I don't want to see Godwin's law in action on AT

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
DMCowen674-

Doesn't matter what the purpose of the list is, the list is just a list. Happens to be a list of people that have publicly spoken out against guns and the 2nd ammendment.

Of course it matters. It potentially could violate people's rights to life, liberty, privacy, etc. As I said the 1st Amendment right isn't absolute.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
DMCowen674-

As the NRA is made up of millions of average Joes, its meant to be an informative list for the membership of those who have specifically stated opposition to the individual right to keep and bear arms. The list can be used to research a political candidates stance on the Second if that is a consideration for you, you could choose not to purchase a product based on the corporations stance, etc.

If you are the letter/e-mail sending type, you could let someone know why you won't vote for them or purchase their product, see their new movie, etc. Its about as nefarious as that.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: 308nato
DMCowen674-

As the NRA is made up of millions of average Joes, its meant to be an informative list for the membership of those who have specifically stated opposition to the individual right to keep and bear arms. The list can be used to research a political candidates stance on the Second if that is a consideration for you, you could choose not to purchase a product based on the corporations stance, etc.

If you are the letter/e-mail sending type, you could let someone know why you won't vote for them or purchase their product, see their new movie, etc. Its about as nefarious as that.

Based on that description I would guess it would be Constitutional, as long as it lists people who have some sort of public persona, and the contact information is their publicly available contact information, not designed to interfere with their private lives.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
DMCowen674-

Of course it matters. It potentially could violate people's rights to life, liberty, privacy, etc. As I said the 1st Amendment right isn't absolute.

Notice the word "Publicly", I'm sure if there is someone on the list that did not speak out publicly then they would not be on the list.

Edit: Come on people Pay Attention.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"Notice the word "Publicly", I'm sure if there is someone on the list that did not speak out publicly then they would not be on the list."

Yes, I noticed that, but there could still be a question. A hypothetical situation would be they put a public person's private contact information, instead of their public contact information, on the list, thereby jeapordizing their privacy.

That wouldn't mean it automatically was wrong, it would just mean there was a question to be resolved.

But based on 308Nato's post, I assume that isn't what the NRA is doing.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
"Notice the word "Publicly", I'm sure if there is someone on the list that did not speak out publicly then they would not be on the list."

Yes, I noticed that, but there could still be a question. A hypothetical situation would be they put a public person's private contact information, instead of their public contact information, on the list, thereby jeapordizing their privacy.

That wouldn't mean it automatically was wrong, it would just mean there was a question to be resolved.

But based on 308Nato's post, I assume that isn't what the NRA is doing.

Yes, it is just the person's name and next to it says Singer or Actor, that is all.

I saw the list on the News report, I have never been to the website myself.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Well, if Herr Gephardt gets his way, he said he will correct the bad rulings make by the Supreme Court :) ...you still aren't over the 2000 election, MirrorMan? Put your dangling chad away and clean the hatred off your magic mirror?you aren?t see clearly anymore.
nah, as usual, you're the one whose blind. :D The hatred's just your reflection.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
the only unconstitutional speech is that which advocates immediate violence.