NPR interview with O'Rielly-

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Lucky
she said it was a negative review! Put down the pipe and re-read it! There may be one or two negative comments but undeniably as a whole it is a positive review, which is what oreilly claimed.

I'm pretty sure that she actually called it a mixed review. And thats exactly what it is. The reviewers take on Moore seems spot on. She does say some positive things, as well as negative ones - there are certainly more than one or two negative comments, and the tone isn't exactly that of a paean to Moore.
If that was a review of me, and my book, I would certainly have mixed feelings, and I definately wouldn't pin it to my wall! She doesn't pull any punches on Moore's flaws. And as for the conclusion paragraph;
"Mr. Moore has marshaled all of his impassioned, populist bluster to effecting that change. That makes "Dude, Where's My Country?" a bumper sticker that doubles as a book."
Well, its not exactly a rave review. So - it contains both praise and criticism - definately not a positive review, but a mixed review - a Fair and Balanced one. ;)

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
she said it was a negative review! Put down the pipe and re-read it! There may be one or two negative comments but undeniably as a whole it is a positive review, which is what oreilly claimed.

its certainly not that black and white.
she has long annoyed me as a reviewer of movies and then branched out to a medium i enjoy much more than movies. the NYT seems out to get me. ive always disliked her reviews becuase SHE NEVER ACTUALLY SAYS ANYTHING. she basically waffled about every single thing she has come across and i dont think she knows how she feels about it.
her review is "mixed" just as terry gross said it was.

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
I think the review issue illustrates the problem with polarizing "facts". O'Rielly does seem to earnestly try to approach the issues with an unbaised perspective to ascertain the "absolute truth" as he says. The problem is that the truth is rarely so absolute.

Spudd

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2001

How about you take your own advice and listen to the interview on NPR again; she said it was a mixed review and then O'Reilley backed down from his saying that it was a positive review, and admitted he could be wrong.
rolleye.gif

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
look, she put o'reilly on the defensive every time and made him defend remarks from all kinds of people. i dont blame him for getting a little tired of it, but i dont think he should have walked out. still, she admitted she gave franken a free ride and yet she had all kinds of stuff ready to go at him with. i think at that point he basically felt that he was set up from the begining.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
well if you put yourself up on a pedestal, prepare ot be knocked down, esp if you behave with the hipocrisy of oreilly. franken does not even begin to fit into the same catagory, he has no charges floating against him:p

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
I just listened to the entire interview on the NPR website. I'm amazed that O'Rielly just suddenly loses his cool so completely!

Given his own aggresive style and long years in the industry, you'd think that he'd be better prepared to handle tough questions from an unfriendly interviewer (Lord knows his guests are required to when he's interviewing). I really thought he was doing pretty well right up until the end. What was he thinking?

On top of that, he then posts a link to the interview as if it's a proud moment for him. I can't imagine what he plans to say on his show about this interview to make himself out as the "winner". Not if it's truly a "no spin zone".

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: PowerEngineer
I just listened to the entire interview on the NPR website. I'm amazed that O'Rielly just suddenly loses his cool so completely!

Given his own aggresive style and long years in the industry, you'd think that he'd be better prepared to handle tough questions from an unfriendly interviewer (Lord knows his guests are required to when he's interviewing). I really thought he was doing pretty well right up until the end. What was he thinking?

On top of that, he then posts a link to the interview as if it's a proud moment for him. I can't imagine what he plans to say on his show about this interview to make himself out as the "winner". Not if it's truly a "no spin zone".

yeah, the clip on his site makes him seem like a bitter ex-girlfriend. but the whole interview, i think, is GOOD! she's got some great questions, especially in the middle. i mean, god, this isnt parade magazine Bill, you may be asked some "uncomfortable" questions! why do people try and take him down? becuase he basically says he is kind of the hill. its natural and he knows that. but whenever people start asking questions he doesnt want to answer he either dismisses them based on some conspiracy theory or ignored them completey.
the end of the interview was abrupt and petty.
she was asking him to respond to a response he had put out and there is nothing out of the ordinary about that.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: PowerEngineer

You would think so. Was Terry Gross harder on Bill than he is on his guests? Hardly.
My belief is that O'Reilly is a control freak. It allows him to be able to say "don't I look great?"
That is a main problem with him. He can dish it out, but cannot take it.

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
Originally posted by: PatboyX
yeah, the clip on his site makes him seem like a bitter ex-girlfriend. but the whole interview, i think, is GOOD! she's got some great questions, especially in the middle. i mean, god, this isnt parade magazine Bill, you may be asked some "uncomfortable" questions! why do people try and take him down? becuase he basically says he is kind of the hill. its natural and he knows that. but whenever people start asking questions he doesnt want to answer he either dismisses them based on some conspiracy theory or ignored them completey. the end of the interview was abrupt and petty. she was asking him to respond to a response he had put out and there is nothing out of the ordinary about that.

Definately - overall it was a very good interview - very interesting. The middle part in particular was good on both sides. O'Reilly went into the interview on the defensive, understandably - there has been a lot of publicity about him recently, with the Franklin thing, and any interview with him is going to touch on that. Also, for someone with such a beligerant interview manner himself, he must have been anticipating getting a taste of that back.

Despite all that, I think O'Reilly presented himself well for the majority of the interview, with occasional exceptions, when his defensiveness and shades of arrogance crept into an answer. The end of the interview, however was bizarre. The lead up to his rant didn't seem to call for it. It was if he was acting for the cameras or something. And ending the interview like that was very petulant.

I have to say that many of his answers impressed me more than I thought they would, but his actions at the end seemed to confirm the worst that you hear about him

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Typical response of a bully who can't take what he dishes out. She was even letting him talk unlike the guests on his show.