Now, Now, What's All This Then? (DoD IP Addresses released .. or not)

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Makes little sense!?! But then again I am not a digi spook... Maybe its a honeypot of sorts?

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Makes little sense!?! But then again I am not a digi spook... Maybe its a honeypot of sorts?

That's what I've been seeing as the conspiracy reason being floated...the fact the notice that the small FL company would be routing all those IP addresses only appeared in one specific resource and never publicly "broadcasted" seems to add to this conjecture.

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I mean, the first question that needs answering is, is there a way that Trump grifts from this move, as favor to his Vladdy Daddy or otherwise? I mean its sad that the question have to be asked but. Yea.
If not, then is it something otherwise corrupt? No? Then spooky thing it looks like :).

Nov 17, 2019
Forgot this in the OP ... oh well ...

v6uqnpxzukkcoawdpzkt.jpg

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
That's what I've been seeing as the conspiracy reason being floated...the fact the notice that the small FL company would be routing all those IP addresses only appeared in one specific resource and never publicly "broadcasted" seems to add to this conjecture.
External BGP routing announcements are public, which is how this got onto people's radar in the first place. The vague "pilot effort" explanation doesn't hold much water IMO; what kind of honeypot needs 175M known DoD IP addresses? Also if the goal is to determine if your addresses are being misused by others, there are ways to do that. You don't need to make your dormant addresses accessible to find out.

I mean, the first question that needs answering is, is there a way that Trump grifts from this move, as favor to his Vladdy Daddy or otherwise? I mean its sad that the question have to be asked but. Yea.
If not, then is it something otherwise corrupt? No? Then spooky thing it looks like :).
Makes you wonder, but I doubt it. Public IP addresses are valuable to large Cloud infrastructure companies (like AWS or Google), but as the article suggests, you can't fully anonymize Internet routing. The Pentagon would have to be actively in cahoots with this GRS outfit if there's some relationship with Trump org.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Somebody want to take a stab at explaining this?

The Washington Post actually explains it pretty well... insofar as it can for a military project, anyway. Looks like it's meant to poke around for possible security vulnerabilities.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
External BGP routing announcements are public, which is how this got onto people's radar in the first place. The vague "pilot effort" explanation doesn't hold much water IMO; what kind of honeypot needs 175M known DoD IP addresses? Also if the goal is to determine if your addresses are being misused by others, there are ways to do that. You don't need to make your dormant addresses accessible to find out.

Makes you wonder, but I doubt it. Public IP addresses are valuable to large Cloud infrastructure companies (like AWS or Google), but as the article suggests, you can't fully anonymize Internet routing. The Pentagon would have to be actively in cahoots with this GRS outfit if there's some relationship with Trump org.

Messing with routing gives different options for man in the middle right, or maybe the honeypot is the actual firm, its employees or something...

remember this?

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
A lot of companies out there don't really exist. They're nothing but fronts for CIA, NSA, FBI, DEA and other alphabet agencies.
That wasn't the question I was answering. The question is whether the Trump org could financially benefit from routing of DoD IP addresses, and my answer is that the Pentagon would have to be an active co-conspirator. Because of the public nature of Internet routing, it doesn't seem like the type of conspiracy that you could easily maintain across administrations.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Almost like cleaning out voters registrations. Hmmm.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Somebody want to take a stab at explaining this?

Probably some classified thing, like a new cyber defense unit being stood up or something.

Whatever they end up saying about it will not be the real reason.

Nov 17, 2019
As I speculated above:

"Cybersecurity experts told Insider the company's anonymity puts an extra layer of protection over the government and makes it even easier to hide what the Pentagon is doing with the IP addresses.

"I can only speculate that 'Global Resource Systems LLC' is a DBA / Delaware Fictitious Name," Scott Schober, CEO of cybersecurity firm Berkeley Varitronics Systems, told Insider. "They can then operate under an alias company name so they can stay off the radar and avoid scrutiny. Global Resource Systems can function as an extension of the government without direct connection allowing them to monitor activities without the overwhelming presence of the Pentagon nor the scrutiny of public opinion.""

The section below that is interesting also.

CaptainGoodnight

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2000
Reactions: Burpo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Somebody needs to stop reading conspiracy sites. This sale was authorized by the Congress (National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020 HR 2500)

Sponsors:
Rep. Smith, Adam [D-WA-9]
Rep. Thornberry, Mac [R-TX-13]

So it IS a conspiracy!!!!!

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Somebody needs to stop reading conspiracy sites. This sale was authorized by the Congress (National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020 HR 2500)

Sponsors:

What are we looking at and what part of what related to op?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Sponsors:

Please provide which portion of this bill as it relates to to these subnets.

CaptainGoodnight

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2000
What are we looking at and what part of what related to op?
It was a bill that was passed by congress that authorized the sale of these IP addresses. It answers a number of questions that was posed by the lazy reporting of the article linked by the OP.

Reactions: manly

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
That wasn't the question I was answering. The question is whether the Trump org could financially benefit from routing of DoD IP addresses, and my answer is that the Pentagon would have to be an active co-conspirator. Because of the public nature of Internet routing, it doesn't seem like the type of conspiracy that you could easily maintain across administrations.
Unless the ISP provider for those IP addresses is "Trump Internet Service", I doubt that Trump can profit off from the external routing of DoD IP addresses. However, it does show that whomever is the new Information Security Engineer for this administration does not know what they are doing. For something like the DoD, information should not be routed externally, but rather internally. I hope that the data that is being routed externally is encrypted via "ECDHE ECDSA WITH AES 256 GCM SHA 512 AEAD" and not something like "DHE DSS WITH AES 128 CBC SHA".