"Now, let me tell you who I am."

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
This is a quote from Orsorum.

"You know, personally, I don't see anything wrong with this [ the deportation of a Canadian citizen to Syria]. This man's case was an anomaly, and in times such as these we must not let civil liberties get in the way of keeping people safe. This man was obviously acting suspiciously, and his detainment a necessary precaution."

And here you see it. About half of America walks in fear and thinks that you have to swat anomalies like mosquitos. Get a grip on yourselves, folks. Look at what has happened to us without terrorist intervention (paranoid freaks, feel free to break in here). Giant forest fires, the biggest power outage that the U.S. has ever seen. People, our infrastructure is fragile. It takes cooperation to run it. If the terrorists are so big and bad, why haven't they attacked . . .?" I don't want to suggest targets here, but the fact that no one has attacked some very vulnerable targets suggests to me that the terrorists aren't much of a threat in the U.S.

Paranoind Right Wing Freaks, think (for a change). Super religious fanatics from another culture cannot operate in the U.S. Yes, they once got into the airlines system. That's a system that is meant to handle foreigners. How do you think it's going to play in Texas when someone who looks even vaguely like they might be Middle Eastern asks for directions to the gasoline transportation pipeline.

Get a grip on yourselves. The world is not a fearful place!

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Crimson
Well, before you all cry about the constitution.. remember, he was not an American citizen.. That doesn't really apply here. Its amazing that everyone in this thread also seems to be blaming the United States.. clearly Canadian immigration and officials were involved, probably more so than U.S. ones.. yet nobody seems to criticize the Canadian government. Also, for a person being tortured as badly as he claims, he certainly has every last detail down doesn't he? I'm not saying his story isn't true, but it would be good to see if colaborated by someone else.

:Q

Lets see - he was taken into custody in the US. Moved around in the US. then flown to Jordan, handed over and driven to Syria. Involved were the INS, the NYPD, and the FBI. Do you see why most people would blame the US side?
As for the constitution - visitors to the US (unless they have diplomatic immunity) are subject to its laws, as well as the protection they should provide. And corroboration of his torture? Were you expecting the torturer to step up and admit to it?