"Now, let me tell you who I am."

onetwo3

Nov 5, 2003

Commentary from the Syrian-born Canadian whom was sent to a Syrian jail for apparently no reason. What do you think?

Story

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: glenn1
What do you think?

I think this is only one side of the story, and i'd like to see the other side before drawing a conclusion.

This is the only side to this story you'll see. The other parties involved have repeatedly refused to comment on it.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
You know, personally, I don't see anything wrong with this. This man's case was an anomaly, and in times such as these we must not let civil liberties get in the way of keeping people safe. This man was obviously acting suspiciously, and his detainment a necessary precaution.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Orsorum
You know, personally, I don't see anything wrong with this. This man's case was an anomaly, and in times such as these we must not let civil liberties get in the way of keeping people safe. This man was obviously acting suspiciously, and his detainment a necessary precaution.

I hope this is some weak attempt at sarcasm. If not, you may as well wipe your ass with the Constitution.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: sandorski
This should never have happened.

Wow, so now the U.S. Military is in control of Canada and it's citizens and shipping them all over the world.

At least this one it seems. There are a lot of questions being raised here as to whether the Government ok'd this or what exactly occured to lead to this situation. So far about all that is known is that US agencies received info on him as part of an Intelligence sharing agreement. The government has so far denied any involvement in the decision to send him to Syria though.

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002

stop trolling

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: sandorski
This should never have happened.

Wow, so now the U.S. Military is in control of Canada and it's citizens and shipping them all over the world.

Might as well be, the US military does provide their protection....

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: dpm

stop trolling

I was trolling?

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Orsorum You know, personally, I don't see anything wrong with this. This man's case was an anomaly, and in times such as these we must not let civil liberties get in the way of keeping people safe. This man was obviously acting suspiciously, and his detainment a necessary precaution.
stop trolling
I was trolling?

I certainly hope so.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Orsorum You know, personally, I don't see anything wrong with this. This man's case was an anomaly, and in times such as these we must not let civil liberties get in the way of keeping people safe. This man was obviously acting suspiciously, and his detainment a necessary precaution.
stop trolling
I was trolling?

I certainly hope so.

I was merely attempting to see the problem from the other point of view. I would hope that most people here would be semi-aware of my actual political views by this point.

Oh well.

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
[I was trolling?
I certainly hope so.[/quote] I was merely attempting to see the problem from the other point of view. I would hope that most people here would be semi-aware of my actual political views by this point. Oh well.[/quote]

I'm not one of the constant posters here, and there are only a few nicks that I associate viewpoints with (mostly the extremists). I can't really remember anything you've posted. I appreciate that standing in the other's shoes is a good idea, but your post still has a hint of troll about it.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
[I was trolling?
I certainly hope so.
I was merely attempting to see the problem from the other point of view. I would hope that most people here would be semi-aware of my actual political views by this point. Oh well.[/quote]

I'm not one of the constant posters here, and there are only a few nicks that I associate viewpoints with (mostly the extremists). I can't really remember anything you've posted. I appreciate that standing in the other's shoes is a good idea, but your post still has a hint of troll about it.[/quote]

It's meant to. :p

rufruf44

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
This is a pathetic case. Since when does the BCIS/INS deported citizen of one country to another country??? Blasphemy, but then again what do you expect from the branch of the government who have their customer at their mercy?
Unfortunately, the responsible parties will just hide behind the Patriot Act. Its about time they insert an amendment or something to it to held the government liable in cases like this.

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Well, before you all cry about the constitution.. remember, he was not an American citizen.. That doesn't really apply here. Its amazing that everyone in this thread also seems to be blaming the United States.. clearly Canadian immigration and officials were involved, probably more so than U.S. ones.. yet nobody seems to criticize the Canadian government.

Also, for a person being tortured as badly as he claims, he certainly has every last detail down doesn't he? I'm not saying his story isn't true, but it would be good to see if colaborated by someone else.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Crimson
Well, before you all cry about the constitution.. remember, he was not an American citizen.. That doesn't really apply here. Its amazing that everyone in this thread also seems to be blaming the United States.. clearly Canadian immigration and officials were involved, probably more so than U.S. ones.. yet nobody seems to criticize the Canadian government.

Also, for a person being tortured as badly as he claims, he certainly has every last detail down doesn't he? I'm not saying his story isn't true, but it would be good to see if colaborated by someone else.

Don't ever go into Law Enforcement Crimson. Kthx.

rufruf44

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Crimson

According to that link, he did meet with the Canadian consul and they assured him that the US wouldn't send him back to Syria since he's a Canadian citizen. It even stated that Syria refuses him, but they still don't deport him to his country of citizenship (Canada) and instead toss him to Jordan. Of course the Canadian govt was cooperating, but unless the consul was lying I don't see how they can be blamed for this. Its very doubtful they rejected his re-entry, its very plausible the custom/INS make the decision on their own without any regard/consultation with the Canadian.