Now it's time for the left to be offended by Avatar

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100111/ap_on_en_mo/us_avatar_racism_13

You will remember that some people on the right think Avatar is pushing an environmental anti-military agenda. Now the people referred to in this article think Avatar has racist themes.
Apparently, people are tired of white (human) characters saving non-white (alien) communities (see also Dances with Wolves and Last Samurai). It doesn't seem like white people can win with with these critics. The alternative is to have white characters be the enemy of non-white groups.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
or have guilty whites vote for a non white unqualified candidate for president.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I don't really consider some blogs and youtube vids "the left" but whatever, that's just me.

Not to mention I read the article you linked and I don't think it mentioned anything about anyone's political leanings one way or the other. You sure you aren't reading into this as I see no mention of the left at all.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Huh? Dances with Wolves was about a white man being saved by the non-white community. His soul, as well as his physical being, was saved by the Sioux.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
My take on the whole issue is far simpler. Everyone has a personal concept of right and wrong. Encountering people different than your own tribe is not an excuse to discount wrong.

Nothing racist about that.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
The alternative is to have white characters be the enemy of non-white groups.
Why are you so hung up on skin color?

You apparantly want to criticize/ridicule the critics you link to, but behave much the same way yourself. There's a name for that, you know... ;)

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Avatar just uses ferngully's story, which was a bunch of pixies being saved by a white man I guess. But disney is known for racism anyway, so if avatar borrows from disney, then avatar is by extension racist against purple aliens.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
We need more Steven Seagal. Except for the one movie where he killed a black Jamaican drug lord... his enemies have mostly been white guys.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I'm sure the movies made in Nigeria and India are politically correct also:rolleyes:

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Yeah and some people think everything about LOTR is racists, these people are idiots and go around looking to be offended.

Dude Where's My Car is racist because it only shows dumb white stoners, jocks, and dorks, ZOMG - discuss.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
We need more Steven Seagal. Except for the one movie where he killed a black Jamaican drug lord... his enemies have mostly been white guys.

His new cop show is racist, he only arrests black guys.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100111/ap_on_en_mo/us_avatar_racism_13

You will remember that some people on the right think Avatar is pushing an environmental anti-military agenda. Now the people referred to in this article think Avatar has racist themes.
Apparently, people are tired of white (human) characters saving non-white (alien) communities (see also Dances with Wolves and Last Samurai). It doesn't seem like white people can win with with these critics. The alternative is to have white characters be the enemy of non-white groups.

Eh, I'm just tired of the evil corporation idea. Cameron has already worn that pretty thin.

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Eh, I'm just tired of the evil corporation idea. Cameron has already worn that pretty thin.

I would totally go and see Avatar if the humans, in a last, desperate attempt to fight off the blue cat people things, activated their secret Skynet system discreetly built on the jungle world, which then became self aware and unleashed thousands of Ahnold T-800s. :D

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I would totally go and see Avatar if the humans, in a last, desperate attempt to fight off the blue cat people things, activated their secret Skynet system discreetly built on the jungle world, which then became self aware and unleashed thousands of Ahnold T-800s. :D

Right, then the xenomorphs show up, kill all the na'vi and humans, and we have Terminator vs. Alien.

The horrific thing is that I wouldn't be too surprised if this happened.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
i was waiting for jarjar binks to show up... too bad they spent all the money on cgi and just used an old spaghetti western for the screenplay... part 2 will be the annihilation of the planet from space... maybe it won't run so long...

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Right, then the xenomorphs show up, kill all the na'vi and humans, and we have Terminator vs. Alien.

The horrific thing is that I wouldn't be too surprised if this happened.

You just made Avatar watchable. :D

It's too bad that Ahnold is too old to believably play the Terminator any more, or that would be a totally awesome movie idea. I am actually quite surprised that it hasn't happened yet...:p

Nov 30, 2006
A potentially great movie ruined by idiot proselytizing ideologues. I imagine DVD sales will disappoint and these 'great thinkers' of our time will wonder why.

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
A potentially great movie ruined by idiot proselytizing ideologues. I imagine DVD sales will disappoint and these 'great thinkers' of our time will wonder why.

Sony had better hurry up and get 3D Blu-ray ready for prime time before Avatar is released on disc. What is the point in watching the movie without the fancy 3D CG graphics? All you're left with then is nauseating, whiny preaching...