Now I remember why adventure games aren't that popular

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
I just bought this game Syberia Monday.

Just beat the entire game.

There's no replayability. I bought it from CompUSA, I assume I can't return it :eek:

Some of the best graphics / landscapes I've EVER seen in this game! Puzzles were relatively easy, tho

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Spooner

There's no replayability. I bought it from CompUSA, I assume I can't return it :eek:

Some of the best graphics / landscapes I've EVER seen in this game! Puzzles were relatively easy, tho
Ah but adventure games (when properly done) are the most fun of them all. Unfortunately adventure games took a bad detour a dozen years ago. Did you ever play the old Sierra games? The ones where you typed in what you wanted the character to do or say. Those were tons of fun and took months to win. And many were replayable (like Hero's Quest). But sadly they changed from programming for fun to programming for "Some of the best graphics / landscapes I've EVER seen in this game!" The day that Sierra switched to graphical icons, gaming was never the same again. I think I took 6 months to complete Space Quest 1, and 2 months for Space Quest 2. It took just 3 measly hours to win Space Quest 3. Graphics killed gaming as I knew it. And gaming hasn't yet recovered.

Mavrick007

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2001
If you can't take it back, take it to EB and get extra for it on a trade in for new games! :D

Mavrick007

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2001
EB sells used games, and if you have a "new" game that you don't want you will get more for it in trade for other stuff (like new games). You can either use it then or put it on your account til you want to use it.

EB also has a guarantee that if you don't like the game, they'll take it back in a certain period of time. It's pretty cool! :D

ScoobMaster

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2001
Dullard:

Did you ever play any of INFOCOM's games? Zork Trilogy, Starcross, Suspended, Witness,, etc......

Text Adventures - THAT was adventure gaming!

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Mavrick007
EB sells used games, and if you have a "new" game that you don't want you will get more for it in trade for other stuff (like new games). You can either use it then or put it on your account til you want to use it.

EB also has a guarantee that if you don't like the game, they'll take it back in a certain period of time. It's pretty cool! :D
EB - Electronics Boutique, right?

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: ScoobMaster
Did you ever play any of INFOCOM's games? Zork Trilogy, Starcross, Suspended, Witness,, etc......

I was completely owned by Starcross and Spellbreaker. Very easy to get into a situation where the game was unsolveable.

Fortunately, there are a lot of fans of the Interactive Fiction genre who are working to keep it alive.

ScoobMaster

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2001
Hey Feathers,

I have ventured to a few of the IF sites myself - great to have a cult following keeping the genre alive. I was pleased to see that some of the good 'ol DOS PC games of my youth are now considered abandonware and can be obtained for FREE!! At theunderdogs.org I found Zyll, Executive Suite, and Galactic Gladiators (a CLASSIC FAVORITE with my D&D group buddies in high school in the early-md '80s!)

Man - the memories those old games bring back!

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: dullard

Ah but adventure games (when properly done) are the most fun of them all. Unfortunately adventure games took a bad detour a dozen years ago. Did you ever play the old Sierra games? The ones where you typed in what you wanted the character to do or say. Those were tons of fun and took months to win. And many were replayable (like Hero's Quest). But sadly they changed from programming for fun to programming for "Some of the best graphics / landscapes I've EVER seen in this game!" The day that Sierra switched to graphical icons, gaming was never the same again. I think I took 6 months to complete Space Quest 1, and 2 months for Space Quest 2. It took just 3 measly hours to win Space Quest 3. Graphics killed gaming as I knew it. And gaming hasn't yet recovered.

it got renamed to quest for glory.

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
I have ventured to a few of the IF sites myself - great to have a cult following keeping the genre live. I was pleased to see that some of the good 'ol DOS PC games of my youth are no considered abandonware and can be obtained for FREE!!

I don't remember Galactic Gladiators, but freeware Zyll is totally the bomb.

I have a sudden urge to try to find my Masterpieces of Infocom CD.

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I never have that much time to put into a game so adventure games are great for me... A good adventure get lasts about 6-7 times longer than a good book, so the price is fine for me.

Some of the best adventure games are :

The Longest Journey
Grim Fandango
Full Throttle
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Kings Quest 1-6
Space Quest 1-5
Quest for Glory 1-4
All of the Monkey Island Series
Simon the Sorcer I and II
Beneath a Steel Sky

I know there are others that I am missing...

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Mucman

The Longest Journey
Grim Fandango
Full Throttle
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Kings Quest 1-6
Space Quest 1-5
Quest for Glory 1-4
All of the Monkey Island Series
Simon the Sorcer I and II
Beneath a Steel Sky

I know there are others that I am missing...

Day of the Tentacle, for one.

The notion of a new Sam and Max adventure in 2004 makes me giggle like a little girl.

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Day of the Tentacle is one that passed me by :(. I need to loog at the $5 bargain bins for it.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
"Did you ever play any of INFOCOM's games? Zork Trilogy, Starcross, Suspended, Witness,, etc......

Text Adventures - THAT was adventure gaming!"
The only ones of those I played was Zork. I never really liked pure text. I was hooked on MUDs for a while but always wanted a bit more graphics (i.e. maps).

"it got renamed to quest for glory."
Right, and for some reason as a young boy it really ticked me off. I thought why should some obscure unused thing take precidence over a much more well known thing with the same name. Oh well, later I learned about trademarks, patents, etc. The best of the Quest for Glory series was the original. #2 was crappy since it was timed and you couldn't get your stats up fully. #3 was graphical and I never finished it. #4 never interested me since the move to icons ruined the Sierra games. I still occasionally play #1 when I'm really bored.

"Have you all forgotten the Police Quest series?"
Police Quest was fun until I hit #3 (graphical again). It had some bug where one day would repeat over and over. I even learned about patches for the first time while trying to finish that game. I downloaded the patch, it didn't work. I never finished.

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Mucman
Day of the Tentacle is one that passed me by :(. I need to loog at the $5 bargain bins for it.

I'm pretty sure it was included in one of the LucasArts Archives, which might be marginally easier to find by now.

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: yellowperil
Also the three Journeyman Project games. They had an interesting plot.

I've read mix reviews about those...

Also forgot the Gabriel Knight series... never played em, but I've heard good things about them...

Mavrick007

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Mavrick007

EB - Electronics Boutique, right?

You are correct!

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Dullard:

LONG LIVE ZORK!
:)

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"You are standing in front of a building."

in

get lamp

played in 1981 on the companies Vax. Nasty pirates kept stealing my gold.