NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 828 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Mandalorian Season 1 - started off great. Has some great moments but also a lot of stupid parts and plot holes. Ny episode 5 I started drifting off at parts

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Animaniacs 2020 3/10 They are still doing the same type of jokes from 20 years ago. Old and tired now.

My daughter likes that show, though :)

The Animaniacs still funny in small doses, but I'm not a fan of the added political correctness. I'll give it a 6.5 out of 10.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Animaniacs 2020 3/10
They are still doing the same type of jokes from 20 years ago. Old and tired now.
i agree.
watched the 1st 2 eps.
fast forwarded the 2nd half of eps 2.

almost as bad as the bug bunny remake.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The new Nikola Tesla movie on Hulu is just weird. I mean, seriously weird... there is an ice cream food fight and a scene of him singing 80's karaoke at one point.

It has some interesting moments, though. 4.5/10 on this one?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The new Nikola Tesla movie on Hulu is just weird. I mean, seriously weird... there is an ice cream food fight and a scene of him singing 80's karaoke at one point.

It has some interesting moments, though. 4.5/10 on this one?

Hulu has been trying desperately to get me to re-up lol ... problem is I never watched it when I had it for free years ago with Sprint so why would I?

These streaming services are going to learn the hard way that it's not so easy to pump out entertaining shows when you have to do it consistently.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Season 4 of the Crown. Gillian Anderson does just an awesome job as Thatcher!
Depending on how realistic this show is - the royal family is as disfuntional as they come.

Reactions: deustroop

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Star Trek Discovery (Season 3, eps 1): 3/10

they're in the 32nd century.
similar stupid hand held line of sight weapons.. meh.
and still no auto targeting

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
See what i mean?? You can't make Trek into a serious TV show. And this is why Kirk > Picard.

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
Let him go 3/10. Not the worst but certainly the most boring movie I've watched recently.

Dreamland 5/10. Decent flick

The Night Manager 8/10. Good mini series about a hotel night manager who gets recruited by MI6 and goes undercover in the squad of an arms dealer. Dr. House as the bad guy.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Star Trek Discovery (Season 3, eps 1): 3/10

Too much sappy interaction between characters. You can't go... I have to go... You can't go... I have to go...You can't go... I have to go...You can't go... I have to go...You can't go... I have to go...You can't go... I have to go... ad nauseam

Reactions: Captante

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
remember when you had to have PAPER MONEY in your wallet to do stuff?

I watched Planes, Trains & Automobiles - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093748/

a film i had caught once casually on daytime american TV, uh, about 30 years ago, and had not watched since. Notable for being one of the few films where John Candy takes the lead (also watch: Who's Harry Crumb?), it's a typical "odd couple" film, with co-star Steve Martin playing the uptight lawyer-type city guy, and Candy the midwestern salesman, as they stumble through a series of unlikely errors in their attempt to reach Chicago in time for thanksgiving.

Yeah, it's fun. You'll probably call it "an american classic", but what i liked the most is, as usual, the timewarp effect of seeing stuff that hasn't existed for 20+ years come back to life: credit card swipers, rotary phones, ashtrays ... oh, those were the days. Defo worth a watch if you got nothing better to do. Bring popcorn.

My vote: 7.5/10 - it's all about *that one scene*

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i have finally managed to obtain a copy of Season 1 of the absolutely magnificent Garrow's Law - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1477131/
a short-lived BBC drama based on real-life Willaim Garrow, British barrister who was instrumental in reforming British law. Lead role to Andrew Buchan , who you might know from Broadchurch. Season 1, because there was a sharp drop in quality after that. Watch this if you are a fan of "old english" and traditional theatrical acting, as the main appeal of the show is the dialogue.
Don't know where you could watch this in the US. You may need to walk a path less beaten.

8/10

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Let him go 3/10. Not the worst but certainly the most boring movie I've watched recently.
The worst I've seen in a while, slow yes but entirely dramatic but with a switch of females characters into the lead roles while the men handle support resulting in an idiotic and incredible plot .

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The Predator 2/10

One of the worst movies I've seen over the last few years. I'm so glad I read the initial reviews, and waited until it was free to watch on cable TV. While many of the various Predator movies over the years haven't been great, they weren't as bad as this steaming pile of..........

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
is that the one with Adrian Brody in it?

uh oh, no, that's Predators. That film was a trainwreck, just an excuse to shovel in as many middleweight action actors as they could into a film.

I'm slightly surprised that The Predator has Olivia Munn in it, because i like her.

No no, not like that. I *like* her.

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
Boss Level. Holy hit what did I just watch? Not a new story, you've seen it done again and again in other movies BUT entertainment value 100/100. It was a race from start to finish, and a damn good one. For a B action movie it was f fantastic.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Boss Level.

Holy hit what did I just watch? Not a new story, you've seen it done again and again in other movies BUT entertainment value 100/100.
It was a race from start to finish, and a damn good one. For a B action movie it was f fantastic.
you might want to add that it's a 'groundhog day' time loop movie according to wiki

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
The Predator 2/10

One of the worst movies I've seen over the last few years. I'm so glad I read the initial reviews, and waited until it was free to watch on cable TV. While many of the various Predator movies over the years haven't been great, they weren't as bad as this steaming pile of..........
Wow, even the trailers make the movie look like a loser :oops:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
what the heck i said, and also decided to watch Boss Level - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7638348/

.. because i like this kind of film. You know, inspired by Edge Of Tomorrow. And yeah, it's the same film.
But oh boy, what a film.

Frank Grillo plays Roy, an ex-Delta Force who's been dumped by his scientist wife, because he was too absent from their child's life. Roy wakes up every day with a whole bunch of people trying to kill him, without explanation, and the day repeats whenever he dies.
The rest of the film is Roy trying to figure out what is happening, why, and how to put a stop to it.
Mel Gibson has a very marginal role.

i loved it. If anything, it can use a few cuts to make it even more frantic. Now, i'm not advocating for continuous mindless action, and due to the format of the film, that's not what you will get; because it's the same, previous action sequences, but they get played out differently as Roy's day count goes on.

Let's say that, if you loved Edge Of Tomorrow, but wished the end wasn't so stupid, then you'll love Boss Level.

My vote: 8/10 - great, but i doubt it will survive repeat viewings.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Boss Level 9/10

Mixing Groundhog Day/Palm Springs comedy with mindless Edge of Tomorrow action.

I liked the fake out on the viewer of the origin of the assassins.
and getting Rick Rolled into watching all of the end credits.
lol.. a final FU to the viewer.

Best Groundhog Day type movie so far.

but one thing i didnt like:
Bullet proof vests only work on the chief bad guy. (im Assuming Mel Gibson was wearing one under his jacket else WTF him surviving so many rounds?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.