NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 822 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched two polar opposites, where one should be substance over style, and vice versa - but neither accomplishes what it sets forth to do

Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099763/

1986 film that got a lot of praise in the later years, shot in 4:3 ... about a trio of lowlives who kill each other. Henry is a .. guy. Who meets both a girl and another guy. The girl sees the angry, violent Henry as a protector. Other Guy "Otis" is a sidekick figure, who feels empowered by Henry's violence. They go about their miserable lives in downtown Slumville and perpetrate random acts for violence for profit and kicks. Otis is then empowered enough to attempt to rape the girl, but Henry murders him. The girl reveals she loves Henry at which point he murders her too. This guy just loves murderin'.

The only praise this film will get from me is for the guerrilla filmmaking, as no permits were issued, no extras were involved, and the whole film was shot on $110k. But otherwise there's just two main scenes both of which are laughably bad, none of the three stars has any charisma, the story is not terribly clever, and considering that this came out of the gold age of hollywood, it's no surprise that it didn't do great at release.

5/10

and Love And Monsters - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2222042/

Which instead is bad for very different reasons.

The film is very well shot. Sets and photography really give the impression of a post-apocalyptic world, and i loved the exquisite artistry of the set pieces. There is an abundance of bad CGI throughout, stuff that obviously sticks out as fake, and while the scenes were good scenes, it's still something that should have been worked on.
The story is of a apocalypse scenario. Due to radiation that mankind caused, earth bugs have grown gigantic and alien.
The protagonist is The Wimp, a 18yo kid who totally sucks at life. He lives underground with a bunch of cool Zombieslayer dudes and gals who kick alien butt, but him, he's just totally incompetent.
After their compound is breached by alien bugs, he decides to set forth in the aboveground in search for his pre-cataclysm girlfriend. During this Journey of Discovery trope, where he too must learn the ways of the badass, he learns that giant carnivorous alien killer bugs are in fact really nice people too. He saves (metaphorically) humanity, gets his girl, and discovers that Man Is The Real Monster.

The actors all suck so hard. I don't mean that they act bad, but they are just lifeless cardboard actors that have no charisma and are not fit for the role. The story is one big trope and the fight scenes are reeeally slow, but the pacing is good and the photography, which is the real star, makes it watchable to the end. Uh, well, maybe not the very end. No. No the giant blue eyed crab that eats the bad guys only, yeah you can skip that scene.

6.5/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
prepare your shocked face; i have watched **for the first time**

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091042/

what can i say, i was busy. Never got around to it. Aaand i dunno, Matthew Broderick seemed to be on a slope, went from Wargames, Ladyhawke, FBDO, and then .. to Family Business .. to The Freshman .. Cable Guy .. by the time i had internet, his films were unwatchable. So i never felt compelled to go dig out this one film that everyone else seems to have seen when it came out.

Anyway, on to the film.

The introductory scene is brilliant. The first 20 minutes of film are spectacular, as the movie moves along some scenes are a bit slacker than others, but there is some outstanding production in this film. Because, the whole "skip skool" circle isn't really the main focus of this film, right? Everyone knows how the film will play out from the very start - the magic is how each scene is made to work, the comedic timing, and .. surprisingly, how many subvert the common tropes of the genre (this does however make those other "tropey" scenes ever so more painful to watch). Lovely use of music too, even the tiny little cues. Loved that credits sequence.

I loved the massive Blues Brothers references and i expect you to be able to spot them as well.
Charlie Sheen just being charlie sheen.
Ferris really is a dick though, and not even an amicable one.
Undoubtedly Jeffrey Jones's second best role after the Dark Overlord Of The Universe.

All in all i have to say i was very impressed with this film, lots of things i did not expect. Throughout the film i liked much more the "creative" filmmaking - unusual framing, fourth wall breaks, etc - rather than the plain comedy bits, and I wish director Hughes was given mo' mony and time and could have possibly made an even better film; there is still some "dead wood", it's not perfect, but it will earn a very respectable 8/10

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
prepare your shocked face; i have watched **for the first time**

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091042/

what can i say, i was busy. Never got around to it. Aaand i dunno, Matthew Broderick seemed to be on a slope, went from Wargames, Ladyhawke, FBDO, and then .. to Family Business .. to The Freshman .. Cable Guy .. by the time i had internet, his films were unwatchable. So i never felt compelled to go dig out this one film that everyone else seems to have seen when it came out.

Anyway, on to the film.

The introductory scene is brilliant. The first 20 minutes of film are spectacular, as the movie moves along some scenes are a bit slacker than others, but there is some outstanding production in this film. Because, the whole "skip skool" circle isn't really the main focus of this film, right? Everyone knows how the film will play out from the very start - the magic is how each scene is made to work, the comedic timing, and .. surprisingly, how many subvert the common tropes of the genre (this does however make those other "tropey" scenes ever so more painful to watch). Lovely use of music too, even the tiny little cues. Loved that credits sequence.

I loved the massive Blues Brothers references and i expect you to be able to spot them as well.
Charlie Sheen just being charlie sheen.
Ferris really is a dick though, and not even an amicable one.
Undoubtedly Jeffrey Jones's second best role after the Dark Overlord Of The Universe.

All in all i have to say i was very impressed with this film, lots of things i did not expect. Throughout the film i liked much more the "creative" filmmaking - unusual framing, fourth wall breaks, etc - rather than the plain comedy bits, and I wish director Hughes was given mo' mony and time and could have possibly made an even better film; there is still some "dead wood", it's not perfect, but it will earn a very respectable 8/10
It isn't much but the after-credits scene was novel for the time and has been referenced in other pop-culture. Did you stick around for it?

Little Shop of Horrors would have put it to shame if they had left the original ending intact for the theatrical release.

Reactions: DigDog

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i dunno man; i have in fact watched the secret end scene, and also have watched the fully restored LSOH alternate ending scene, and i would say that it was probably a good idea to go with the happy ending.

Let me explain: i don't mind the shit-hits-fan scene in itself, but, the film has been building up to the heroic revenge of the poor, downtrodden Seymour. We now all root for him, and instead, he gets eaten?
No, we need his character to succeed. Because .. secretly .. we're all guilty. We identify with him, and can't help notice that the plant has eaten all the people who stood in his way, even Mr Mushnick is dead - he may have been a bit of a miser, but he did care for Seymour, and we're happy he's dead? Because Seymour, he's too weak to stand up for himself, to challenge those who keep him down, but he sure wishes they were dead ..
We want Seymour to be happy, yes, but at what a price.

By the way, i *always* watch the end credits. Having worked in music, i got really excited when i found out that music as-you-buy-it isn't just made by the guy on the album cover, but there's a lot of other people involved, some, in certain cases, even more important that the artists. I figured this out by casually reading through a lyrics booklet in a cassette oh my god i'm old tape, and seeing all these weird people being credited ..

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched a whole bunch of Teen Titans Go! Season 5, 11/10 but YMMV because i know this show has many haters. If you like totally not serious cartoons that are absolutely random, you may like TTG. It's a spoof of itself, or rather, it spoofs Teen Titans, a bad clone of the Justice League, set in the same universe, where a team of superheroes led by Robin (yes, THAT Robin) fight crime. A team of young, angsty teenage superheroes.
You can imagine what kind of nerd fandom they have.

But TTG is the same characters, except, on their day off. Eating pizza, discoveirng the Ultimate Sandwich, or hopping dimensions to recapture the spirit of Halloween, while eating pizza. They goof. They dance. they do a whole bunch of silly stuff that angsty brooding teenage superheroes do not do. They fart. Basically it's character assassination, which the vanilla Teen Titans characters totally deserve because they're shit.

really you shouldn't watch this unless you hate superheroes.
5/10 if you like superheroes
11/10 if you hate superheroes

I also watched The Trial Of The Chicago 7 Plus One, on Netflix.

Great multicast film about the trial of the chicago 7 who were 8 actually. Following a protest march in late 1969, and subsequent riot provoked by the Chicago police, the city mayor and DA's office put on a sham trial of 7 protesters named as the leaders. And they throw in a Black Panther guy who also was in chicago because you can't have a criminal trial without a black defendant. Incompetent and prejudiced judge, a corrupt organization, lies from police testimony, basically your typical everyday US trial. It's a procedural film through and through, so if you're into Perry Mason, this will be right up your alley.

Starring:
1. the guy from The Wire
2. birdman / main guy from The Founder
3. sacha baron borat
4. the guy from Fantastic Beasts
5. another guy from The Founder
eeeh, you know, one of those films where you recognize everyone. BUT, good film. Really good. I rarely get two good films in a row, and while it's not terribly broad in scope - we already know the history, and frankly unless you're american and of a certain age, who cares - but really tight, with good acting throughout, good sets, good costumes, good photography, good dialogue, brisk pacing (!! FROM NETFLIX !!), it's absolutely worth your time.

8/10

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
The Vast of Night - 2019
Glad I got around to watching this movie, I know it was popular some months ago.

I enjoyed this a lot more than I was expecting. It hit the intimacy and required solid dialogue pretty well to make up for the low budget, and I am always a sucker for a long shot. This was actually a 2 movie day, wherein I watched Midsommar in the early afternoon, followed by this in the evening.

The switchboard work coupled with the very long shots was honestly pretty impressive by the female lead. I also appreciate the trope of the whole town being in one spot(basketball game) except for the important characters. Reminds me of Hocus Pocus and loving that movie so much from my youth.

8.5/10 for fun intimate sci-fi!

Midsommar - 2019
Lol this movie. I can barely watch horror movies these days due to feeling too anxious about my life in general, let alone the added stress of spook-e movies. So I watched this during the day to at least ease my fears. The movie was very bright aesthetically though so that helped. I'm glad there weren't really any stupid jump scares, more general unease and interesting visuals / music.

I had more laughs in this movie than scares, such as the elders yeeting themselves. I was more grossed out by the weird sexual stuff. Finding a pube in your pie was probably the scariest thing in the movie!

7.5/10

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Hail, Caesar! (2016)

Cohen Bros movie. Not their best, but this film plus a beer and pizza lifted my spirits a fair bit :)

Reactions: ksosx86

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Hail, Caesar! (2016)

Cohen Bros movie. Not their best, but this film plus a beer and pizza lifted my spirits a fair bit :)
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Another "man for the time and place" picture. Studio fixer dude was good at his job and the ride-along "day in the life of" was entertaining, to say the least.

I re-watched another Coen Brothers movie, "O Brother Where Art Thou?", on Amazon Prime this morning (midnight). I picked it expecting to fall asleep to a familiar movie but it kept me interested start to finish. Holly Hunter is as awesome in this as she was in Raising Arizona, so my only complaint is that we saw so little of her.

I have the soundtrack and spin-off album ("Down from the Mountain") but I recently learned there was a 2-disc reissue of the original soundtrack that I need to track down. I see the soundtrack at flea markets and thrift stores so often, I wonder how often I've seen that version and ignored it, thinking I already had it. :(

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
IP Man - 9/10

Not a whole lot to complain about here really. I thought it was well acted, nicely filmed with some nice music, and overall a pretty interesting story. It is probably the first Chinese film that I've watched and truly enjoyed. It is a martial arts film, and while there is some pretty good action in it that is not the whole focus of the film. As in action plays a supporting role, it's still important mind you, but not constant which the 2nd film decided to do. The story is supposedly a true one. The setting finds you in the time period of 1920's to 1940's era, so quite a lot to show, and in Chinese so subtitles will have to be read for most. Overall an excellent film and I think a fair number here will enjoy it. However I don't think the netflix plot summary did a good job of explaining it.

If you liked the first one you might enjoy the 2nd one as well. It starts up immediately after the first, however it's pretty much all action driven, which while good it seems to lose some of the focus the first one had. I'd probably say 7/10 for IP man 2.

I think the first three IP Man films do have English dubbing. Though I would never watch any dubbed film.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
The Autopsy of Jane Doe - 8/10

Excellent horror movie with a solid premise and Brian Cox gives a solid performance that is unexpected. Pacing is solid, unexpected twists, smart writing!

House of 1000 Corpses - 9/10
I love a good horror/comedy flick and this one delivers. Chris Hardwick and Rainn Wilson give great campy performances. Twisted, so fuckin twisted and yeah - the opening 30-minutes is great film-making and the rest devolves into some fucked up weird shit with crazy mutants. Ending wraps up nothing!

Dr. SATAN!!!!!!!
🤘

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Glengarry, Glen Ross (1992) - 4/10

Movie starts off strong, really strong, but just meanders into blandness. I caught myself mid movie going "Why am I watching this?" which is no Bueno. I will give credit to Jack Lemmon who gives a really good performance plus I did like that Al Pacino suddenly shows up in the movie but it's really all downhill from the opening scene with Alec Baldwin.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
The Autopsy of Jane Doe - 8/10

Excellent horror movie with a solid premise and Brian Cox gives a solid performance that is unexpected. Pacing is solid, unexpected twists, smart writing!

House of 1000 Corpses - 9/10
I love a good horror/comedy flick and this one delivers. Chris Hardwick and Rainn Wilson give great campy performances. Twisted, so fuckin twisted and yeah - the opening 30-minutes is great film-making and the rest devolves into some fucked up weird shit with crazy mutants. Ending wraps up nothing!

Dr. SATAN!!!!!!!
🤘

Yeah House of 1000 Corpses is good and I really enjoyed it.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Original Borat movie is on Amazon Prime. Watched it again in anticipation of the new Borat film that launches in a day or two. Laughed way more than I should have at one of the scripted jokes that was added in post (not one where he genuinely confronts unsuspecting people in-character). Listen carefully when he dejectedly throws his bag down after the fight with Azamat. ;)

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Lockout (2012)

I saw the trailer a million years ago and it piqued my interest at the time. It hasn't got a great IMDB rating, but I picked it up off ebay pretty cheaply. It wasn't bad as I expected, but there are two parts to the plot, and the writer forgot to tie them off together at the end. Since the cover says "DIE HARD! IN SPACE!", I'll use a Die Hard example: Imagine if the writer forgot to write the conclusion of the safe, or maybe an ending of "they got in the safe somehow but the bad guys still lost, the end".

Otherwise, it was an entertaining enough action flick. There were a few scenes though that were "ok, they're stuck and they're about to get caught", then cut to another scene that shows they escaped... somehow.

I must take a look at Guy Pearce's credits list to double-check that he really hasn't done anything that turned out to be decent for about ten years.

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Rubber - 3/10. It was nothing like what I expected, and broke the fourth wall way too much for my liking. Seemed pretentious to me.

Reactions: BurnItDwn

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm a few episodes into the Boys on Prime from seeing it posted here and on Reddit - so far so good. I love the concept. It's a bit heavy handed but entertaining enough for some mindless fun and does pose some interesting questions about things.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Confusing Marty mcfly girlfriend (Shue) to his mother (Thompson).

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

ah, lol, I forgot about his girlfriend, lol. But can you blame me? they look the same!

Speaking of, I actually saw a fricking Delorean on the road two days ago. Looked real (not a kit car)--the tiny 1/5th window notch, looked about 3 tons, huge tires, and sad 47 year old a little too happy with his irony car.

Status
Not open for further replies.