NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 801 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
7500 - 7/10 - it was filmed in a pretty cool way though. Definitely felt very tight like being on a plane. Just not much happened though.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Before Sunset (2004) 8/10
(sequel to Before Sunrise, and 2nd part to the trilogy)

Filmed 9 years after the 1st movie.
the setting for this movie also takes place 9years later like it was real time.

didnt like the initial scene where the star is at a book signing in Paris for his book.
it was awkward.

this was supposed to be the last stop of the tour but his answers to questions from the audience were awkward as if he never heard them before.

but those questions seemed normal, like other people probably would have asked in one or more of his previous book signings.
it was just weird.

the rest of the movie is in the same format as the 1st.
he bumps into the girl from the 1st movie. they walk all over the place and talk.
the twist is that he's in a time crunch because he has to catch a plane back to the USA in an hr or so.

they seem to hit it off just like it was the next day and not 9 years later but...
2nd twist: he's married with a 4yr old son.
Before Midnight (2013) 7.5/10
(Sequel to Before Sunset (2004) and the last part of the 'Before' trilogy)

This sequel was made 9years after the last movie and is Set in real time, thus it's 9 years later in the film. (and it's been 18years since the 1st movie, and 18yrs have elapsed in the the trilogy. :eek: )

the actress's character said she was 32 in the 2nd movie thus making her 23 in the 1st movie and 41 in this movie.
(In real life, she was 41 when this movie was made. :eek: )

Same setup as the previous 2 films where the 2 stars are talking but with enough twists to keep it interesting.

For example:
The 1st scene with them 2 together, they're in a car where he's driving.
it's a 15min uninterrupted scene, with 2 kids in the back seat.
it's rare these days to see such long uncut scnes. it was refreshing.

Last edited:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Vivarium (Prime Video) -- 6/10

Well this is a weird one. I Imogen Poots but man, I dunno about this movie. I get the theme (or one of them), I guess, but... it's trippy. Probably better if you eat some shrooms and watch it, lol.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Vivarium (Prime Video) -- 6/10

Well this is a weird one. I Imogen Poots but man, I dunno about this movie. I get the theme (or one of them), I guess, but... it's trippy. Probably better if you eat some shrooms and watch it, lol.

I watched it the other night as well. I would probably rate it similar, maybe 5/10, but I tend to be a bit harder on my ratings, I probably can't name 10 movies I would rate a 9/10.
Overall, I think the movie stretched it's premise out too long. There was a lot of dead time in the middle that really added nothing to the movie. The movie should have probably been 30 minutes shorter, but then it would not have been feature film length.

Reactions: clamum

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I watched it the other night as well. I would probably rate it similar, maybe 5/10, but I tend to be a bit harder on my ratings, I probably can't name 10 movies I would rate a 9/10.
Overall, I think the movie stretched it's premise out too long. There was a lot of dead time in the middle that really added nothing to the movie. The movie should have probably been 30 minutes shorter, but then it would not have been feature film length.
Yeah I think actually I was a little forgiving with my score; it would probably be a 5 or even 4.5, based on how much I enjoyed it anyway.

Can't say I'd really recommend it and yeah agreed on the extended time.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
My Neighbor Totoro 8/10

1592968508569.png

Japanese animated film by Studio Ghibli.
(English subtitles)

Cute story about 2 sisters befriending a large woodland spirit that noone else sees.
There's also a grinning Cheshire cat bus with a lot of legs instead of wheels. :eek:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Princess Mononoke: 8.5/10

A young girl wearing an outfit has blood on her mouth and holds a mask and a knife along with a spear . Behind her is a large white wolf. Text below reveals the film's title and credits.

Japanese anime from Studio Ghibli.
(English subtitles)

Feudal Japan discovers gunpowder and clashes with the animal gods of the forest.
Good gripping movie except the ending was confusing.

And the Deer god is also both a life and a death god?
Why dont the other 2 animal gods in the movie also have other powers?

Budget
  • ¥2.1 billion ($23.5 million)
Box office
  • ¥19.3 billion (Japan)[1] ($159.4 million, Worldwide)

This movie was made back in 1997 so $159M = $254M in today's dollars

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Spirited Away: 9.5/10

Japanese anime from Studio Ghibli.
(English subtitles)

10-year-old girl who, while moving to a new neighbourhood, enters the world of Kami (spirits) of Japanese Shinto folklore .

Gorgeous animation and incredible characters.
The plot was a little confusing though, thus why i took -0.5 from the score.

Minor problems:
1) at the beginning, the boy told the heroine of the story to ask for work from the boiler room master and be careful of the sorceress that rules the area.
if he refuses to give her a job, then keep asking him.

the boiler room master has no work for her despite her pestering him for a job.
a) He then sends her to see the sorceress and she doesnt become alarmed because of what the boy said about her?
b) How does she know to then keep pestering the sorceress for a job?

2) The movie doesnt explain what the No-Face spirit is. (The one sitting next to her in a mask in the pic above.)

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Is Hannibal (TV show) one of the best examples of good-to-very good show that goes to utter shit very, very quickly?

1st season: Phenomenal.
2.5-3rd season: utter incomprehensible dreck. ....Image masturbation masquerading as elevated, intellectual content. It's mostly unwatchable, but I find myself soldiering through what I hope is just a handful of episodes to get to the Red Dragon stuff....

Going in, I didn't realize that this is actually a re-make of the entire series, not just a complimentary lead-up. I guess you learn that is happening early on, if you're generally familiar with it, when some events are switched around to keep Will Graham as a more involved, show-running protagonist. But whatever.

I'm not aware of the history of this show, but was it canceled and then continued on another network at some point, with different show-runners? It's like the entire 2nd half is created by an entirely new team of self-indulgent assholes. When you think about it, a lot of these episodes are about 5 minutes of new content each, 30 minutes of visual pablum, and 5 minutes of rehashed footage from previous episodes...again and again and again.

I'm not a huge fan of the Hannibal stuff, never read the books, but I do like the movies. Yes, I'm well aware of Manhunter and thoroughly enjoyed that, as I really love Michael Mann. I often wonder what it would have been like if Brian Cox was always Hannibal Lecter, and not just the one time. ....and I really like Mads Mikkelson. I think he's pretty awesome, especially early on this series; but even in the good episodes, there is simply too much time devoted to "Hannibal worship." I think it's the effect of the current popularity of the genre, the established complexity of stuff like Dexter, but here there is this forced desire to humanize Hannibal. ...No one effing needs that, or wants that, really.

Can we get back to Hannibal the actual monster? Some times, we don't really need a history for these people. We don't need to know these things. Why can't they just be the horrible things that they are, and leave the audience to feel the gaps?

Think about what happened to Darth Vader, lol.

so:
Hannibal, season 1: 8/10
season ~2.5 - 3: wtf?/10

Reactions: A Casual Fitz

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Wrapped up Season 5 of Better Call Saul a couple days ago. A solid 9/10.

Tony Dalton spices things up to another level, just like Rhea Seehorn performances, criminally underrated actors, whole cast is great.

Cannot wait to get into the post Breaking Bad timeline, though we got to get through this part of the Cartel business first. :eek:

Next season is the series finale for BCS, and possibly for the entire Breaking Bad universe.

Reactions: purbeast0

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Wrapped up Season 5 of Better Call Saul a couple days ago. A solid 9/10.

Tony Dalton spices things up to another level, just like Rhea Seehorn performances, criminally underrated actors, whole cast is great.

Cannot wait to get into the post Breaking Bad timeline, though we got to get through this part of the Cartel business first. :eek:

Next season is the series finale for BCS, and possibly for the entire Breaking Bad universe.

dang, still don't have access to season 5, can't wait until it's on Netflix. I think it's my favorite thing these days. ....After s4, I think it's better than BB. D:

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
I'm not aware of the history of this show, but was it canceled and then continued on another network at some point, with different show-runners? It's like the entire 2nd half is created by an entirely new team of self-indulgent assholes. When you think about it, a lot of these episodes are about 5 minutes of new content each, 30 minutes of visual pablum, and 5 minutes of rehashed footage from previous episodes...again and again and again.

Nope, it was Bryan Fuller and NBC the whole time. I didn't notice the decline at the time until season 3 started and it shoehorned the more familiar Hannibal plots in. It felt like they knew season 4 was not happening and they had to cram in as much as they could.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Invisible Man. It gave me a lot of anxiety...it was good.
Invisible Man, the book by Ralph Ellison, also gave me a lot of anxiety. Oh wait, you're probably talking about THE Invisible Man, the movie from this year.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Invisible Man, the book by Ralph Ellison, also gave me a lot of anxiety. Oh wait, you're probably talking about THE Invisible Man, the movie from this year.
jesus, i just watched the trailer, and it gives away EVERYTHING of the story.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Just watched the entire season of Unbelievable on Netflix (only 8 epidodes). Is about the bungling of a rape case by the cops, and the eventual capture of the perpetrator. Very interesting and well acted, and based pretty accurately on a true story. 8.5/10

Nov 29, 2006
Catch-22 a 6 episode Hulu miniseries: 8/10

Directed and acted by George Clooney. A WW2 bomber pilot trying everything he can to get out of the war and not die. But everything he tries just makes things worse. A kind of dark comedy I guess. Beautifully shot and gorgeous scenery. Almost wish it was longer, I wanted more.

Trailer:

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Is Hannibal (TV show) one of the best examples of good-to-very good show that goes to utter shit very, very quickly?

Yeah, I just finished watching it all. A lot of people like it, but for me the rating would be a "meh".

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I saw the premier of the new Perry Mason from HBO.

For me it was watchable but not very good. They went in a completely different direction and now he's a washed up P.I. taking cases he doesnt like and drinking too much. Of course its set in the Great Depression.
The story in the pilot kinda meandered and of course HBO has to constantly remind you you're watching HBO so theres loads of sex, nudity, swearing, and racism that doesnt actually contribute anything, it just lets you know they're a very grown up series. The protagonist doesnt get a whole lot of character development and the rest of the cast gets none (well, except maybe the mom) and I kept thinking about Deadwood and how much progress their pilot made in 55 minutes.

5/10 will probably watch again to see if it improves.

Status
Not open for further replies.