NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 693 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
watched marathon man again 8/10.Some memorable scenes in it.Ouch.

Ken Burns docs The Dust Bowl,the Civil War again,The West again.9/10 great stuff.

The Burning for about 30 mins,this film scared the shit out of me many years ago.meh

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Northmen, A Viking Saga 4/10

Even taking it as mindless entertainment, the fight scenes were cliched and predictable. The bad guys were bad, the good guys were good, and a couple "surprising turnarounds" to keep it interesting. At least I got some good exercise rolling my eyes.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
King Lear (theatre performance)

Live broadcast theatre performance starring Ian McKellen. Also had Sinéad Cusack (the actress who played the scientist in 'V for Vendetta') and Danny Webb (played Morse in Alien3). Pretty impressive. We wanted to see Ian McKellen perform before he's likely to hang up his hat (or worse), we weren't disappointed.

Thats freaky!

I pirated an episode of Just Shoot Me and was watching it right now when I clicked on this thread and saw your post. The episode in question was about the play King Lear.

Aug 11, 2008
"Night School" (the movie where Kevin Hart goes back to school) --7/10. Ok for what it is, light entertainment.

"Crazy Rich Asians" 7.5/10. Entertaining, well made and well acted, but ultimately just a romantic comedy/drama. Some really nice shots of Singapore. A bit overhyped though.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Solo: A Star Wars Story... 5/10

The casting choices were pretty poor, especially the lead guy... he didn't really seem to be acting like Han, just a generic action star they happened to name Han. Some of the action scenes were cool, but it was a waste of a Solo backstory movie. I didn't like The Last Jedi either, Disney's really fucked up their star wars universe in short order. I thought they started strong enough, but these last couple have been bad.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Murphy Brown is back.
And she sucks.

The writing is absolutely horrid. They got old and lost their edge. Its just a liberal circle jerk. Which we already have plenty of and much funnier, like Samantha Bee.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006

The casting choices were pretty poor, especially the lead guy... he didn't really seem to be acting like Han, just a generic action star they happened to name Han. Some of the action scenes were cool, but it was a waste of a Solo backstory movie. I didn't like The Last Jedi either, Disney's really fucked up their star wars universe in short order. I thought they started strong enough, but these last couple have been bad.

Yea have to agree pretty bland, just FF through the predictable chase battle scenes and all you have is nothing. I liked the big hipped robot, but the 4 armed monkey thingy was horrible. That's all I remember. And was there A story because I forgot it already? 5/5

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
The worst part of Murphy Brown was the laugh track, do they really think we are all so stupid as to require some kind of laugh-aid to tell us when to laugh? Either that or they are hiding how poor the writing is by trying to make us feel like maybe we ARE stupid because we missed something that should be funny. (Big Bang is the latter)

Anyways, besides that I didn't mind the story but as a Canadian it amused me to see Hilary being a good sport not playing herself while obviously playing herself.

2/10 because 5 points were immediately lost due to the laugh track.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
The worst part of Murphy Brown was the laugh track, do they really think we are all so stupid as to require some kind of laugh-aid to tell us when to laugh? Either that or they are hiding how poor the writing is by trying to make us feel like maybe we ARE stupid because we missed something that should be funny. (Big Bang is the latter)

Anyways, besides that I didn't mind the story but as a Canadian it amused me to see Hilary being a good sport not playing herself while obviously playing herself.

2/10 because 5 points were immediately lost due to the laugh track.
All of those revival shows that had a laugh track still have one now, right? Will and Grace, Roseanne. The producers have to insist that they play up the nostalgia and make it look and feel almost exactly the same.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
All of those revival shows that had a laugh track still have one now, right? Will and Grace, Roseanne. The producers have to insist that they play up the nostalgia and make it look and feel almost exactly the same.

Nostalgia allegedly makes more money than original content.
Its why Disney makes new Star Wars films with lots of elements from the old ones.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Heat is one of my favorite movies, so I went back and watched Michael Mann's Thief (1981) with James Caan and really like it. Similar movies with similar themes, but Caan does a better job of making me sympathize with his character than De Nero did. Both are great movies, at least a 7/10 for Thief.

Heat is one of my favorites as well. Funny thing is back in '95 the better half and myself decided to go see a movie. We were looking at the posters and thought hey that might not be bad. Holy hell, nothing beats that shootout scene. Glad I could experience it in the theater.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Maniac no damn idea/10 on Netflix. I understand the underlying message this movie was supposed to bring forth, and it is a worthwhile topic. The way it goes about it is just so far out there. Many scenes I thought, "wtf is this". I liked the leading actresses and actors, as they are fairly famous. Its not a long watch being 10 episodes and like 40 mins per or so. Its just so damn weird. Its like in the future but with old stuff. I could have sworn that the headphones in one part are actually old CPU heat sinks. Copper pipes with aluminum fins. With other random wires around it for good measure. Would not watch again, but not terribly sad I did watch it. I guess a 5 is what I would give it. Maybe I am just not that cultured to appreciate this movie for what it is. Or maybe its just too far out there for the mass audience.

In Darkness 7/5/10. Nice little thriller about a blind woman, and someone who dies in her apartment complex. Lead actress is from GoT, so that brings some weight. Another male role is a semi famous guy as well. I thought it was suspenseful and entertaining, with a good twist at the end. Actually two of them. I would recommend it.

Hold the Dark 6/10 on Netflix. Has the lead black guy from Westworld and the blonde vampire from True Blood, among other things. Very slow, and a little weird. Not very entertaining, I watched it because of the famous people and the trailer was intriguing. Not that great, would only watch if bored or a fan of the actors. Not entirely sure what the message was supposed to be in this movie.

Reactions: Bubbleawsome

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Hold the Dark 6/10 on Netflix. Has the lead black guy from Westworld and the blonde vampire from True Blood, among other things. Very slow, and a little weird. Not very entertaining, I watched it because of the famous people and the trailer was intriguing. Not that great, would only watch if bored or a fan of the actors. Not entirely sure what the message was supposed to be in this movie.

I've only seen two of Jeremy Saulnier's movies - Green Room and Blue Ruin - but if Hold the Dark is anything like them it should be pretty dang good. If you haven't seen Green Room, definitely check it out.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Maniac is on my watch list right now. I’m two episodes in and so far I’m not sold on it, but not in a bad way. I think I’m feeling a similar way to how you feel about it.

Either way it’s not giving me the same vibes the trailer did, and that makes me sad because that trailer looked like my perfect show to me.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003

I rented Solo online recently and mostly agree. I'd probably give it 7.5/10. I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away or anything. I thought the lead actor did a decent job but I thought Donald Glover (Lando) was the stand-out.

Murphy Brown is back.
And she sucks.

The writing is absolutely horrid. They got old and lost their edge. Its just a liberal circle jerk. Which we already have plenty of and much funnier, like Samantha Bee.
Ugh yeah it seemed like it would be a liberal circle-jerk after I saw a video on it from No Bullshit on YouTube. Kinda seems like it was the left's answer to the Rosanne revival. Hahaha and there was a Hilary Clinton cameo too. But Samantha Bee? Oh God what an unfunny far left failure. Whenever I see her name I just think of her trademark pose, bent forward slightly at the waist with feet pointing inwards, bitching about Trump. SHE'S SO WOKE THOUGH.

Man I saw a couple clips on my YouTube Recommended list of this Finnish war movie called The Unknown Solider (2017). Damn it looks frickin fantastic! Like a Finnish Band of Brothers or something. I've tried to find the damn thing online, and it is available on some "questionable" sites for streaming, but the English subtitles are just horrendous and basically useless. I'm totally willing to pay to see it but I can't find it. I thought I had found it on Amazon but it's the 1985 movie by the same director, from my understanding.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
As Above, So Below: 8/10 - A real spooky thriller ride [set in the French catacombs] which isn't something I expect from Netflix movies in this category anymore. There's a lot of hidden references to what was done in Dante's Inferno / 9 Circles of Hell apparently (don't know much about it), but it was still creative enough that I looked up what other people were saying about the flick after it was over. That's usually a good sign of a good movie. Give it a go, IMO.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
How is that Warcraft movie? I just saw that my DVR recorded it.

I know its been the subject of many geek fights. Would a person who's only exposure to the WC universe is playing WoW for a bit many years ago enjoy it at all?

Feb 25, 2011

I know its been the subject of many geek fights. Would a person who's only exposure to the WC universe is playing WoW for a bit many years ago enjoy it at all?

It's a good popcorn flick. If you only played WoW, the story will be unfamiliar, since it covers the WarCraft 1 era.

Also, it's been a while but I feel like some of the trailer scenes might have actually hinted at important plot points that ended up cut from the movie.

Nov 29, 2006

I enjoyed it, but I never played WoW a ton either.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Legion (tv show) Seasons 1 and 2 - 7 or 8/10 - This is based on a Marvel character, but it doesn't seem like a superhero show at all. It is so different from anything else that's been put out that it is hard to explain. It is VERY complex and if you decide to watch it you have to really pay attention. There are some very deep plots and ideas here. It is so unique, I can't stress it enough. That being said, I found season 1 to be much more enjoyable than season 2. Season 2 got very artsy and hard to follow - most of this is due to the character flaws that go between reality and mental / alternate realities at the drop of a hat. The first season is 8 episodes while the 2nd is 11 episodes and I think that is part of the issue, it felt like quite a few filler episodes. The finale was really good however, and I'm anxious to see where they go with season 3. I do recommend this if you want some really thought provoking television and can give it your attention. I think this series is more suited for binge watching.

Reactions: Bubbleawsome

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It was so bad Scorsese decided to make a copy of it for the Western audience :rolleyes:

The story was good...so it was a good story that was worth harvesting and actually making into a good movie, finally.

Infernal Affairs was just a shit movie with shit production, terrible editing, terrible writing, terrible acting and it just made no sense. :D

really, it was the editing. There were large continuity gaps that don't belong in a low-budget amateur film-school dropout flick.

crap it's been a while since I was in this thread. Sorry, it was the first post that popped up for me :D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Doesnt even have Conan The Barbarian.
You can live your life without having seen Amarcord, but can you live your life without having known the riddle of steel??

..I am personally not interested in such people, but I do appreciate the point of your comment, nonetheless. :D

I will say, though, that your overall arugment is somewhat strange:

The Matrix is owed by every film after it, for some reason...oh, because "bullet time" and over-done novel camera work that we...saw a lot of for a little while and then never again, really. Maybe some video games.

Everything else in Matrix is an overused trope that was done long before, long long long before the Matrix. Hell, the Thirteenth Floor was released the same year, with the same general ideas, and was a much better film than the stupid Matrix. No one owes that anything, apparently, and yet it didn't contribute some thing that eventually died out.

Citizen Kane however...well, every film actually still does owe everything to it. Just like Giotto gave the world some weird thing called "perspective" and a handful of people like Da Vinci started painting portraits outside of profile for the first time ever, Citizen Kane literally had that same effect for film production, and it remains that critical, essential, unmovable influence. There was no medium space, no long space, no low angles, no high angles, no depth of field...the framing was entirely unique which quickly led to John Ford...I mean, every single film after Citizen Kane, anywhere in the world, essentially owe their photography to Citizen Kane. The film itself....yeah. whatever. It's actually pretty good but it is hard to watch in some ways.

All I'm saying is that every film after it is essentially what it is because of it, and that is important, no matter if you hate watching the thing of not. The Matrix...I mean, who cares, already? Plenty of other films told this story better, before it. The fancy camera tricks didn't even last as long as 3D TVs.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I haven't seen 'Internal Affairs' but 'The Departed' to me was an unremarkable story and a re-hash of every other film involving undercover cops and bent cops. But the final 'fuck you' IMO was the rat at the end: one of the clumsiest pieces of imagery I have probably ever seen in a big-name film; the only way that scene could have been done worse would have been for the rat handler to be inadvertently in-shot.

I can't think of a single moment I enjoyed in that film, which sounds super-harsh, but I'm not saying this film is the worst I've ever seen, I'm saying that some films come along and by right of say their subject matter or unusual style or the big-name director, my expectations are higher, and IMO this film did not deliver in any respect. For some films I'd wonder whether I'm being overly harsh and think "well, that scene was pretty good" and give it another try, but unless someone reveals some bit of wisdom about this film that utterly blows my mind because I completely missed it the first time around, there's no chance on the planet that I'd watch this film ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.