NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 663 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
The Rain (Netflix) -- 7/10 (about a point or so added cause of the main character's beauty)

Danish post-apocalyptic thriller/drama about a group of young people trying to survive after a mysterious virus has cut down most of the population, originally coming from the falling rain. Now any standing water on the ground carries the virus too. There's definitely dumb things here and there but overall I found it entertaining and it hooked me all the way through and I was looking forward to each new episode. I'm hoping there's a second season.

Also thank God for tight jeans in the apocalypse. WOOOOOOOO

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Game Night -- 6/10

Meh. Some funny moments, but pretty "simple" comedy I guess. Jason Bateman being Jason Bateman never seems to get old though.

Reactions: WiseUp216
Nov 29, 2006
Yea I had the same reaction to Little Big Man. I was having a hard time at seeing Dustin Hoffman as an indian I think. But his performance won me over and I gave it the same score as yours. Still can't believe I had never seen it before.

I sat thru this in 2 settings also based on this thread. I guess i didnt really get it. So id give it like a 5/10 or so. Wasnt that funny and i didnt think his acting was very good personally.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
The Rain (Netflix) -- 7/10 (about a point or so added cause of the main character's beauty)

Danish post-apocalyptic thriller/drama about a group of young people trying to survive after a mysterious virus has cut down most of the population, originally coming from the falling rain. Now any standing water on the ground carries the virus too. There's definitely dumb things here and there but overall I found it entertaining and it hooked me all the way through and I was looking forward to each new episode. I'm hoping there's a second season.

Your description of certain aspects of this movie makes me feel like it's a must watch for me.

Reactions: clamum

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched the latest episode - which, i suspect, is the season finale - of Lucifer - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4052886/reference

ooh man.

This show, sometimes it's pure garbage, but sometimes, it grips you and doesn't let go. If there ever was a guilty pleasure, this is it. Never mind Law&Order SVU, *this* is the McDonalds of TV shows.

i won't spoil it for you, but if you are at all watching this, you need to see this last one.

Reactions: mikeymikec
Aug 11, 2008
Theatrical Movies:

A Quiet Place: 9/10 very suspenseful without gross-out gore
Infinity War: 2/10 (yea, that's right, and 2/10 is being generous, I dont have the nerve to give it a 0)
Black Panther: 7/10
Blockers: 8/10 (Raunchy Comedy, not usually my thing, but laughed all the way through it)

Aug 11, 2008
I loved Hostiles. 9/10 for me.
Not sure I would rate it quite that high. Maybe 8/10. Overall, I loved the movie too, but thought the reconciliation between the main characters, although moving, seemed a bit too easy. Absolutely loved Christian Bale though. If anyone ever deserved an Oscar, he does for that performance.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Avengers: Infinity War 5/10

I hate to give this a mediocre grade because I loved the comics growing up but there was so much.... "blah" in the movie. There is so much stuff I just dont really care about, I want to see Thanos rocking. And it is a lead in to yet another movie! The best parts of the move were right at the beginning and right near the end, the rest.... yawn. Btw, they had African people attacking with spears in the movie. WTF, do you not have guns!? I'm a fan of the marvel movies but this is an easy skip.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Vampire Hunter D - 6.5/10. Second time trying to watch it and I fell asleep around the 50 minute mark. I just can't stay awake during it. Pretty good, though. One of these days I'll finish it.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
couldn't sleep last night so I watched

Jungle-- it was pretty good I guess.
Titan-- I'm on the fence about this one..some serious plot holes going on..but it did manage to make me watch it all the way thru though.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Your description of certain aspects of this movie makes me feel like it's a must watch for me.

Its dubbed in english (or CC) if you don't speak danish which always throws me off unless it really well done. So I stopped after a couple minutes but will try again.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I sat thru this in 2 settings also based on this thread. I guess i didnt really get it. So id give it like a 5/10 or so. Wasnt that funny and i didnt think his acting was very good personally.

Yea its kind of strange and never know how movies click with people. One thing I do is watch slower dramas early in the norming when I'm most awake. Big effect movies in the evenings with some imbibements.

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
Killing Eve 5/10

I don't usually rant over stuff I watch but this series is pure feminist garbage. The powerful characters are all female. Men are portrait either weak, stupid, incompetent or sissies. There are a few scenes where you have to wonder "how can this guy be that stupid". It's just not believable.

It starts ok, first 2-3 episodes are very entertaining but it goes way downhill from there. I'm kinda bummed about it because I like the assassin and wanted to watch her story.

Jean Claude Van Johnson 7.5/10
Good action flick mixed with comedy. More like a spoof to 90s action movies and James Bond movies. It has some very funny moments.

Last edited:

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003

I'd been on the fence about this, was going to get around to it eventually. Looks like I might sooner rather than later.

Theatrical Movies:
Black Panther: 7/10

I think I'll go with a 6.5/10. Was mostly action packed, but like most movies of this sort, very easy to see the happenings of the entire movie from the jump. The only thing that really saved it for me was some of the comedy, "what are thooooose?", that was a good one that caught me off guard. I imagine lots of people are going to be upset when and if it does not win a ton of awards. Yet it doesn't deserve them.

May 11, 2008
Dead pool 8/10
I like the movie. The only bad thing is that they made look colossus weak.
Dead pool 2 i am planning to see.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Avengers: Infinity War 5/10

I hate to give this a mediocre grade because I loved the comics growing up but there was so much.... "blah" in the movie. There is so much stuff I just dont really care about, I want to see Thanos rocking. And it is a lead in to yet another movie! The best parts of the move were right at the beginning and right near the end, the rest.... yawn. Btw, they had African people attacking with spears in the movie. WTF, do you not have guns!? I'm a fan of the marvel movies but this is an easy skip.
You obviously didn't see Black Panther, not much of a fan of Marvel movies.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Stagecoach (John Ford, John Wayne 1939) 6/10

Considered the greatest western of all time by a large panel. Rotten Tomatoes rating:

Average Rating: 9.3/10
Reviews Counted: 36
Fresh: 36
Rotten: 0

100 minutes.

Highly touted western, but I ejected 1/2 way through last night. Couldn't sympathize with any of the cliched characters, and that's everyone. Never did get to Geronimo, who I'm sure they were going to portray as nothing but blood thirsty. It's kind of a B&W full screen western soap opera interspersed with Ford's patented what-a-perfect-vista shots. I thought the script was terrible, but this is from almost 80 years perspective.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Black Panther - 6/10 - yet another overrated Marvel movie. I did like the concept though and I thought the movie itself could have had the Marvel name ripped off of it and it would have been just as good if not better since it has no expectations. But when it became a movie about a whiny kid who has daddy issues, it just took a completely stupid left turn and was as predictable as knowing what day is tomorrow.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Crazy Heart - 6/10
2009 movie with Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhall, and Colin Farrell - It was well acted, enjoyed the music and on the road scenes. Then it turned into a sappy "redemption" movie that became so damn predictable.
Jeff Bridges won an Oscar for his performance.

3 Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri - 7/10

Good film but not sure why the OMG! praise. It was good, but would have enjoyed more character development. Editing could have been tighter in places and looser in others. The stereotypes of the racist lazy police was, well, lazy.

Reactions: Thebobo

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Deepwater Horizon, again. And again only up to the end of the Coast Guard call center scene, "Guys we have to bump this up."

"see if we have any float cutters in the area and get em over to the area." 9/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.