NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 597 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Preacher season 2, episodes 1 / 2 / 3

*big_grin*

i did say this show was gonna get better, didn't i?

Not sure if sarcastic?i loved the first season and i kind of like this.To say its getting better? thats a stretch.Mayeb im on the wrong drugs this time.I doubt it.My opinion of course

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I get the impression he’s a really nice guy, but the Chinese government has bought his loyalty and devotion. They couldn’t afford to let such a famous and influential person ever say anything critical of the government in public.

Here he is singling a song for the Chinese release of Disney’s Mulan:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5SLJJc8siyU

Guy is despicable. Knocked up a Taiwanese actress, married her in secret and she retired from acting. Kept marriage hidden until news broke on how he had a daughter with a mistress. Then became China's lapdog.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Power Rangers (2017) - 6.5/10 - it is basically exactly what you would expect. A group of cheesy kids with bad cliches and mediocore acting become the power rangers. I liked it because it was more about them becoming the rangers than them already being them. Typically I prefer the origin stories in super hero movies in general. But when they become the rangers, it's as cheesy (in a good way) as you would expect.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
The Matrix. 10/10

I know it's an older movie. Still love it. I'm reminded that we are living in a Matrix. Our mind is the prison. Lol
LOVE this (as a stand alone) movie. I watch it every couple years and it's still awesome.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Gattica 10/10. Holy shit can't believe i missed out on this movie for so long.

Great sci-fi. So much of it is relevant today. Story was great as well. Go watch it if you haven't yet.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Castlevania - Netflix Series - 8.5/10 - Based on the video game series, it is a 'anime' set around the Castlevania III timeframe with Trevor Belmont. I'm not a huge fan of anime, but it is very adult and way better than I expected. The only negative I have at this point is that it was too short and felt like a prologue. It sounds like there is a second season coming though.

Kill Switch - 7/10 - A company finds a way to solve the power crisis by creating a copy of the universe to draw power from. Of course things don't go as planned an chaos ensues. The movie script and acting is kinda of meh, and feels like it should have been a video game at times (and probably would have been a great story for a video game). The idea is very intriguing though. There were a few things I thought they missed that could have been good plot twists, and they never really explain why a few key things happen, but otherwise I enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Kill Switch - 7/10 - A company finds a way to solve the power crisis by creating a copy of the universe to draw power from. Of course things don't go as planned an chaos ensues. The movie script and acting is kinda of meh, and feels like it should have been a video game at times (and probably would have been a great story for a video game). The idea is very intriguing though. There were a few things I thought they missed that could have been good plot twists, and they never really explain why a few key things happen, but otherwise I enjoyed it.

Did this make it to the theaters? I see it on amazon for $10 rental lol. I want to watch but think I'll wait.

Last edited:

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Spiderman Homecoming 7/10

It was definitely a fun movie, perfect summer popcorn flick but way too much Iron Man in this movie for me. I don't want to say too much about the movie. They just tried too hard for my tastes to tie it into the Marvel universe and didn't let it be its own movie. Michael Keaton is always a great villain and definitely was my favorite in the movie. Hope they bring him back for further movies.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Matrix. 10/10

I know it's an older movie. Still love it. I'm reminded that we are living in a Matrix. Our mind is the prison. Lol
Don't apologize for watching older movies. I'm still catching up on great movies I never saw. Many are a ton better than the blockbusters that are coming out these days. Good on you for still digging The Matrix.

Reactions: Zanovar

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I skipped over this page in case of Preacher spoilers.

I watched Alien: Covenant. it was pretty good except for one huge ass plot hole. Who the fuck walks around an alien planet without a bio-hazard suit on...i don't care if the air is breathable..thats just plain ridiculous....good movie though.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Tusk. this shit is weird crazy,i might of mentioned it before? new drugs new score 8.watch this and never be the same again.its that weird i want my sanity back.

Last edited:

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Don't apologize for watching older movies. I'm still catching up on great movies I never saw. Many are a ton better than the blockbusters that are coming out these days. Good on you for still digging The Matrix.

Watched Jaws and Jaws 2 the other day.

Seems like a summer time movie.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Watched Jaws and Jaws 2 the other day.

Seems like a summer time movie.

There's a Texas theater going to run a Jaws marathon on water, that could be interesting. I watched Twister at a drive in when it came out as a storm was brewing. The drive in scene was surreal. Now..to watch The Thing in an Antarctic base camp.

Reactions: Thebobo

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Spiderman - Homecomimg -7/10. The new guy is better than the last guy but still talk too fast and too much sputtering. Nice little twist when the door opened for Peter to pick up his date and right before the introduction of the Spidey at the end. Did not stay to see anything new after the credits. Love the cameo of Stan Lee, again. I still think Tobey was the best Spidey, except when Spidey went emo with black liners in the eyes.

The House - 6/10. Try to be a rowdy comedy but did not deliver. The only thing I like was the two old chicks fought one another. A trailer for another rowdy all girls movie. Darn Hollywood, stop copying the same story line with new settings/characters.

Transformers - Last Knight - 5.5/10. The worse one of the franchise. Let see, the token black guy, the loud obnoxious young chick, the try so hard to pin the story way back to King Arthur and ancient England. M. Bay is losing his touch. There were some new nice looking vehicles.

Last edited:

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Brain Dead/Dead Alive 8/10
Forget The Lord of the Rings this is Peter Jackson's best movie. Almost Evil Dead 2 good. If you love gore and haven't seen this movie find it.

Wow.i have seen this film 3 times that i remember,i didnt know peter jackson was the director.Anyways good gory shit with a hint of lunacy 8.5/10

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You Can Count On Me (Kenneth Lonergan, Laura Linney, Mark Ruffalo, 2000, .... 9/10)

Have watched this 3 times over the last 2 weeks. Saw it recommended in a thread/review of Manchester By the Sea, which was also directed by Lonergan.

It's Kenneth Lonergan's first movie, he's an Oscar winning screen writer.

I watched the DVD. The last viewing was with the director's commentary, which I like a lot.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Is there a way to search this thread? I'm not seeing anything but a Search Forums thing.
- - - -
You Can Count On Me (Kenneth Lonergan, Laura Linney, Mark Ruffalo, 2000, .... 9/10)

Have watched this 3 times over the last 2 weeks. Saw it recommended in a thread/review of Manchester By the Sea, which was also directed by Lonergan.

It's Kenneth Lonergan's first movie, he's an Oscar winning screen writer.

I watched the DVD. The last viewing was with the director's commentary, which I like a lot.

You can search within thread.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You can search within thread.
Yeah, I found it. Put something in the Search field and I'm given the option to click checkbox "Search This Thread."

It's not working so great for me so far. I searched on "You Can Count on Me." I got a lot of hits but nothing including that string. It found hits of substrings of that. Not what I was looking for. There may be a way to tune the search to make it work but I haven't found anything. Right now it looks like I'm the only person to refer to this movie in this thread.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah, I found it. Put something in the Search field and I'm given the option to click checkbox "Search This Thread."

It's not working so great for me so far. I searched on "You Can Count on Me." I got a lot of hits but nothing including that string. It found hits of substrings of that. Not what I was looking for. There may be a way to tune the search to make it work but I haven't found anything. Right now it looks like I'm the only person to refer to this movie in this thread.

Search sucks. But you are probably the first one to mention that film.

Status
Not open for further replies.