NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 552 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I saw Night Moves which was ok. This one is more Meek's Cutoff but somehow less interesting. Of course, others disagree

Hmm, well I love love love Night Moves and Meek's. The synopsis sounded more like Old Joy to me, which I thought was ok. Either way I'll definitely be seeing it!

KT

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
The Killing Joke. 5/10

Great art, horrible story and the ending was worse than Sopranos finale. Awful.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
"Volunteers" (HBO) 2/10
Absolutely awful sometimes-tries-to-be-a-comedy movie starring Tom Hanks.

It's pretty terrible.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
TMNT 2 Out of the Shadows - 7/10 - I was a fan of the first one and I think overall I liked the first one better than this one. This one definitely felt more cartoony and true to the original cartoons, which is a good thing, but at times felt a little too kiddy to me. I was also happy to see a villian in the movie that I was not aware was in the movie, which was a nice surprise. I also liked the new Casey Jones more than I thought I would.

Still though nothing compares to the OG movie with the people in costumes playing the turtles. The effects in this movie was pretty incredible though.

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
Hopefully, that would have been way cooler. Saw Idiocracy last night for the second or third time, still hilarious.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
What?? OMG I love it. There is some hilarious stuff in this show. It's not the greatest thing on television, but it isn't bad at all. Granted I like McBride, and he's doing his usual schtick here.

Wasted (British TV show) - 8/10 - Involves a group of lifelong slacker friends who go out night after night getting drunk and drugged up, while there are the usual things that happen in these sort of shows the shining note on this is Sean Bean has a recurring role in it. I won't spoil it, but his role makes this show for me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5906924/

Is it out in the US?

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Just a heads up: Transparent Season 3 was just released on Amazon. Haven't watched it yet, but the first two seasons were outstanding. Easily 9/10.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
The Martian 8/10

Good modern Hollywood film however I don't think it fulfilled its potential.

It could have used a lot more silence, less bluster, slower pace and gotten into more of the psychological aspect of Damon's situation.

The film was a little too happy, there really isn't any one moment where you think to yourself that Damon is going to loose his mind after certain setbacks, of course you know its a Hollywood film and the only tension was going to be near the end, it just felt everything went so routine. Its still a good movie and very enjoyable.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
right ..

Swiss Army Man - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4034354/reference

i'm on the fence with this one. It's like someone, on a bet, decided to use a really stupid premise for a film, just to prove how well they could make the film even with that handicap. And you get exactly what you expect. At first, the fart jokes are hilarious. And the introspection is quite moving, but as the film starts to drag on, find myself thinking that this could have been much better if they used a standard "lone man" script, such as Cast Away. The ending is .. well, they try to avoid any real explanation, and it's really just a "well guys, the experiment is over, thank you for participating" thing.
As i said, it's more the "proving that you can make a film with a horrible premise, if you are good" but it falls short on the story, which to me is more important.

i would say 6.5/10

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Primal Force 6.5/10
Made in 1999 and totally ripped off by 2001's Jurassic Park 3 just replace the dinos with giant baboons. Stars Ron the chin Perlman fighting guys in monkey suits in a pretty good B-movie. I actually liked this a lot more than I thought I would.

The Jungle book 7.5/10
The new one. They really should have just left the singing out of this thing. I enjoyed it fairly well other than Walken's song man that was horrible and totally out of place.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
So, what's the verdict on Quarry? I haven't quite decided.

Two episodes in, I think it's interesting. Completely different story line and time period, but still, it has a little bit of the feel of Cinemax's Banshee. I lived through this period, later in the Vietnam war, and although I can't say that as a kid I was particularly attuned to the attitudes toward returning military personnel, the treatment here feels more than just a little over the top.

I'm becoming a sucker for these dramas set back in the day (BITD), like Mad Men. I thought Public Morals was outstanding.

May 11, 2008
1920 london 9/10
Although through my age, i am bored quickly when it comes to horror movies...
This was a refreshing movie. It is kind of a Hindi love story movie combined with horror elements.
And it was refreshing. The typical Hindi dancing and singing was there for a tiny bit.
I hate and despise musicals. But for some reason, Hindi style dancing and singing in movies never seems to bore or bother me. :grinning:
I enjoy it.

For a trailer :
But do not watch the trailer if you want to enjoy the movie.

For some reason, the spoiler with link to the trailer does not show up...

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I have a treat for those that like B&W TCM type of films.
PATTERNS 1956.
FREE full movie on YouTube.
Just search "patterns 1956".

Really liked this drama about early N.Y. corporate business, cut throat getting ahead, and how it comes down to the woman behind the man.
This one film lead to so many other similar current day themed films.
Morals in the board room, or lack of in the name of success.

Oh, ok. Here's a link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ycVdWqsEA

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
The Martian 8/10

Good modern Hollywood film however I don't think it fulfilled its potential.

It could have used a lot more silence, less bluster, slower pace and gotten into more of the psychological aspect of Damon's situation.

The film was a little too happy, there really isn't any one moment where you think to yourself that Damon is going to loose his mind after certain setbacks, of course you know its a Hollywood film and the only tension was going to be near the end, it just felt everything went so routine. Its still a good movie and very enjoyable.

The movie might seem kinda predictable, but reading the book (especially for the first time) I didn't feel that way at all. I was really impressed with the book but I think it's pretty hard to directly transfer a book to screen.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Feast 6.5/10
The 2005 one. Just a fun stupid horror comedy using good old particle effects. Decent gore and gross out humor.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
So, what's the verdict on Quarry? I haven't quite decided.

Two episodes in, I think it's interesting. Completely different story line and time period, but still, it has a little bit of the feel of Cinemax's Banshee. I lived through this period, later in the Vietnam war, and although I can't say that as a kid I was particularly attuned to the attitudes toward returning military personnel, the treatment here feels more than just a little over the top.

I'm becoming a sucker for these dramas set back in the day (BITD), like Mad Men. I thought Public Morals was outstanding.

I've been meaning to give this one a try

on another note, I'm really looking forward to Berlin Station

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
We started watching Halt and Catch Fire this past weekend. It has some flaws for sure, but I'm really into it. Already half way through the first season.

KT

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Magnificant Seven (2016) - 7/10

A 7 feels a bit generous, probably more like a 6 or 6.5, but if there was no frame of reference I think a 7 would be fair. Most people would probably give it at least a 7.5 based on star power and action, but our group of 5 all had the meh to just ok rating after. But we're all mid 40s+ and seen the original and Seven Samurai a bunch of times, so YMMV.

This modern version wasnt bad, but I didnt like it as much as I wanted to. I think the original had something to say about the archetypes in westerns, where this one was just trying to be an entertaining popcorn movie and nothing more. The original had some issues of its own, and definitely feels dated in some places, but this version is more like the sequels they made after the original Magnificent Seven. Watchable, but you wouldnt be missing out if you skipped it.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
guess what film i watched and it wasn't nearly as bad as they said it was.

of this mysterious film, i will say that it's actually quite close to the original; all the tech gadgetz are there, the techno wizardry which i loved as a kid. the humour is of the same kind as the first film was, and the characters are similar. perhaps we are watching the classic through rose-tinted glasses, because watched again today it's not nearly as funny as we remember it. yeah i said it, it was fun when i was a kid but today it's just mild-fun. the new version is about as funny as that, and i bet if i was 10yo i would love this film just as much.

and also C**** H********* was hilarious as the dumb australian. you just don't get him.

7/10 if you are a kid
6/10 for everyone else.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Watched Jerry Maguire for the 12th time the other day. Still gets me. 9/10

Purple Rain. 9/10 Watched this last week. Man, Prince was phenomenal. I don't think you can find much of anything on Youtube, he wouldn't allow that, but he produced a phenomenal testament to his artistry with this movie.

Saw Eight Days a Week yesterday. 9/10 I still think The Beatles were the greatest band of all time. This documentary pulls back the veil. That's not to say they were something other than what you may think. But you may not see/hear them for what they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.