NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 55 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
True enough. I've tried to become an alcoholic, but it didn't take. Guess movies will have to do. :p

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
haha :thumbsup: reminds me of Dujardin in the first OSS 117 movie. he doesn't smoke, but he's trying to start :D

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
2 Days in Paris - 9.5/10:
Rating maybe a bit inflated, but I loved this movie.

Starring and directed by Julie Delpy, her character and boyfriend played by Adam Goldberg spend a couple days in Paris after a vacation in Italy.

The plot isn't too important; This is just an authentic, hilarious, "emotional" and light movie. There's really nothing I disliked about it, and plenty I loved. Not much else to say about it right now, just watch it! Oh, I will say that there's a sequel being released soon, possibly was shown at sundance? But it's Delpy as the same character but Chris Rock is the love interest(not a spoiler, don't worry)....strange

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
We Need To Talk About Kevin - 3.5/10: This did not really work for me at all. For what should have been an emotional, powerful film, based on the story, it ended up being a very bland, ineffectual two hours of nothingness. Tilda Swinton is very good as the Mother, and the kid was pretty good too, but the way this film was composed really minimized any impact it should have had. The first 15-20 minutes in-particular was very stylized and disorienting, jumping all over the place and not letting you settle into the film. By the time things start to happen, I did not really care, nor did I have a full understanding as to why it was happening. I thought maybe it was just because I was a guy that I didn't feel much here, but I saw it with a female and she agreed with my assessment (she`s read the book this was based on), so I'm just going to with this being a failure of a film.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
2 Days in Paris - 9.5/10:
Rating maybe a bit inflated, but I loved this movie.

Starring and directed by Julie Delpy, her character and boyfriend played by Adam Goldberg spend a couple days in Paris after a vacation in Italy.

The plot isn't too important; This is just an authentic, hilarious, "emotional" and light movie. There's really nothing I disliked about it, and plenty I loved. Not much else to say about it right now, just watch it! Oh, I will say that there's a sequel being released soon, possibly was shown at sundance? But it's Delpy as the same character but Chris Rock is the love interest(not a spoiler, don't worry)....strange

Yeah I loved this movie too. Beena while since I watched it, but I remember really liking it. I loves me some Julie Delpy. :wub:

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
We Need To Talk About Kevin - 3.5/10: This did not really work for me at all. For what should have been an emotional, powerful film, based on the story, it ended up being a very bland, ineffectual two hours of nothingness. Tilda Swinton is very good as the Mother, and the kid was pretty good too, but the way this film was composed really minimized any impact it should have had. The first 15-20 minutes in-particular was very stylized and disorienting, jumping all over the place and not letting you settle into the film. By the time things start to happen, I did not really care, nor did I have a full understanding as to why it was happening. I thought maybe it was just because I was a guy that I didn't feel much here, but I saw it with a female and she agreed with my assessment (she`s read the book this was based on), so I'm just going to with this being a failure of a film.

KT

That's too bad. I've heard a few good things but many bad about this movie :/

Yeah I loved this movie too. Beena while since I watched it, but I remember really liking it. I loves me some Julie Delpy. :wub:

KT

I thought it would be something you'd like. Delpy was good. Her somewhat cunty character was still likeable. Those french...:wub: indeed

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
The Last Mistress - 3/10
...and that's only because Asia Argento was oh so good at being evil. Very much a flop for Breillat, IMO. It's all the machinations of such a saucy period movie, but I just couldn't come to give a damn about any of it.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
Had a lot of free time to fill while sick/burning vacation days/friends have been busy, so I watched a bunch of movies.

Contagion - 6/10 - The movie presented a compelling view of the people who would be responsible for helping to fight a major pandemic. The movie felt as thought the scope of what it was covering was much larger than the movie actually could support? I just felt lacking in all the story lines and the resolution was not particularly satisfying to me.

Real Steel - 6/10 - This was a surprisingly decent movie. Based on the trailers, the movie looked like Rocky but with robots, and it basically was. The longshot boxer going against the champion, the story was decently developed, the little kid was annoying, and the world just was hard to believe in a lot of ways. Still was an enjoyable movie to watch.

50/50 - 7/10 - It was nice watching a movie where someone gets cancer and the subject isn't that much about the cancer. Yea, it played a big part of the movie still but it was just a vehicle to get character interactions going. It was nice not having someone make a total life discovery and turn around, but instead portraying a more realistic yet still optomistic view of what might happen. I hope if I ever get cancer, I also get to score a date with Anna Kendrick.

The Graduate - 7/10 - "You're missing a great effect here... could you do it?" - I mostly watched this to better understand pop culture references made about the film. The Graduate was different than I expected going in, I honestly didn't know a lot about the story. I do wonder how different this film would be if it was made today (we'd see a lot more boobs I bet).

Moon - 8.5/10 - I get why people call this an example of good sci-fi. Sci-Fi setting, but not about aliens and even the technology (for the most part). I can't believe that this film was made with some ridiculously small budget. The budget was only 5 million dollars, it blows my mind and certainly after finding that out greatly increased my appreciation for how well thought out this movie was planned and made.

Crazy Stupid Love - 8/10 - It's feels like it's been awhile since I've been pleasantly surprised to see how a movie "comes together", about half way through I couldn't tell why they had half the characters they did in this film, and honestly I wasn't paying a lot of attention so I wasn't trying to guess what would be happening next or trying to figure anything out. When the reveal happens it came as massive and pleasant surprise to me.

Time Traveler's Wife - 6/10 - I read the book, and it was pretty decent so I thought I'd check out the movie. The movie was okay, true to the book but of course many compromises were made to keep it movie length. I definitely think the story worked better in book format, and in movie format they overplayed the "creepy" factor of the age difference.

Broken Flowers - 7/10 - Ending got to me, wasn't anticipating the way it ended. Left me wondering and in a good way. During the film I was thinking "this has been in my watchlist forever", so the ending left me thinking about that a bit.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Saw a few movies on my long flight.

1. In Time - 7/10. Love to concept of everyone live to 25, then another year then die unless you have money to buy extra time. The scence of the mom and son trying to make it was nice but the rest of the movie after that was not that goog.

2. Quick - 7/10. This movie is from Korea with English sub. The director must be a big fan of the Matrix. The chase scence on the highway was almost identical except it was bikes instead of cars.

3. Cowboys and Aliens - 1/10. It was the first movie that I could not finish. Talk about a boring movie.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
Harold & Kumar Christmas. 1/10
what a horrible, shameless sequel. didn't have one funny moment. felt like a forced comedy......trying to hard to be funny. harold, kumar, goldstein, nph, even maria.....they all look old....wtf.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Harold & Kumar Christmas. 1/10
what a horrible, shameless sequel. didn't have one funny moment. felt like a forced comedy......trying to hard to be funny. harold, kumar, goldstein, nph, even maria.....they all look old....wtf.

I dont see how anybody could like the first one. Since people did like it you should have expected a sequel. And for most comedies sequels tend to suck so it shouldnt be a surprise.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah From Tusk Till Dawn is great and he is really good in it. Just looking at his discography and he has a slew of great movies. My favourites, after From Dusk Till Dawn, are probably Out Of Sight, Syriana, Solaris, and The American.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I haven't seen a few of his movies, at least in a long time or in their entirety. But I was watching The American last night and it's really damn good. I liked Michael Clayton a lot too, but I think The American is better(and Clooney was better in it).

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I haven't seen a few of his movies, at least in a long time or in their entirety. But I was watching The American last night and it's really damn good. I liked Michael Clayton a lot too, but I think The American is better(and Clooney was better in it).

Agreed. I actually was not the hugest fan of Michael Clayton, but I love The American. He is so good in it; very understated performance.

KT

blazerazor

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
I resently watch Outlander, about the guy who crashed landed on our planet carry'ing the 'cargo',.. i dont want to spoil it, but best movie ive seen in ALONG time!

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
http://www.flicksandbits.com/2012/0...ring-brad-pitt-sam-rockwell-ray-liotta/21422/

Cogans-Trade-The-Film-Stage.jpg

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
I fucking love Ray Liotta and Sam Rockwell. Brad Pitt is a very good actor, but even better are the scripts he is picking.. that guy is on a roll.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Stephen Fry in America : 8.5/10

This 6 part.. 6 hour long series is pretty damn good. I always liked Stephen Fry and this made me appreciate him even more. Nothing is staged.. and yet there is a smooth flow through out his journey. The best part IMO.. is when he visits a whore house in Nevada and his absolute disdain for Florida. Pretty entertaining.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Le Trou - 9/10:
French prison escape movie from 1960. Nice little movie with a lot of emphasis on the planning and execution of the actual break. Made with some no-name actors, director Jacques Becker did some nice work.

The movie begins with a new prisoner who is moved into a cell that is holding four men who happen to be planning an escape.

An awesome little tidbit: There was a guy named Jean Keraudy who was known for having escaped from prison a few times. One of his cellmates used him as inspiration to write a prison break novel, the novel that was eventually made into this film. Who played the character based on Keraudy? Jean Keraudy

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
GI Joe: Rise of Cobra - 5/10 - What the eff was this shit? Characters were boring, it was super cartoony, and it looks (probably true) like they were just trying to cash in on the brand name. Special effects were cartoony too.

Status
Not open for further replies.