NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 502 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
This is the Henry Rollins flick? Almost watched it last night. Glad to hear it's decent.

KT
Yep. Note that it's a very low-key performance, not angry ranting motor-mouthed Rollins.

He does well in the role of someone who's no longer fazed by anything because of his past.

It's a movie that starts slow, then builds up to to being a little less slow. It's good if you're patient.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
Yep. Note that it's a very low-key performance, not angry ranting motor-mouthed Rollins.

He does well in the role of someone who's no longer fazed by anything because of his past.

It's a movie that starts slow, then builds up to to being a little less slow. It's good if you're patient.
To be honest, the movie is worth seeing but i was not impressed with Rollin's performance.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
"Busy" weekend in this department...

Creed -- 8/10
It was good, but
get that moral victory crap outta here.
Still prefer Rocky.

The Sandlot -- 10/10
Revisited a childhood favorite after finding the bluray for $5. Exactly what a Saturday afternoon movie should be. Bonus points for nostalgia.

Mad Max: Fury Road -- 10/10
Definitely deserving of all the awards - it's a really great film. The visual effects are awesome, and finding out via the special features that most of the stunts and things were actually real and not CGI just makes it all that more impressive. Only watched the first special feature, going to probably watch the rest of them sometime this week. I never do that.

Finding Vivian Maier -- 7/10
Documentary on Netflix about a street photographer that never made her work public. Only after she died did someone discover it and make it public. I found out about her several years ago and remember going to the exhibit at the Chicago Cultural Center (though definitely not on the night this documentary was shot, there were nowhere near that many people...). It was cool to watch this and see more of her work, but I feel they kinda spent a lot of time talking about her quirkiness and hoarding of newspapers and how much stuff she always kept. Call me old fashioned, but when someone's dead, if you claim to really care for that person, don't broadcast to the world how mean she was or talk about how rude she could be to the people in her photographs. I'm not saying you needed to lie, but at least omit parts of the truth.

Rome -- 6/10
Season 1 only. A bit of a letdown after all the good things I'd heard. Not sure I really feel the need to watch S2. so I probably won't. At least for now. Couldn't figure out where I'd seen the main dude's wife before, turns out she's Ellaria Sand in Game of Thrones. :thumbsup:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Creed -- 8/10

The Sandlot -- 10/10

Mad Max: Fury Road -- 10/10

Rome -- 6/10

Creed -- Agreed. It's solid, and a great reboot I think
Sandlot -- Classic of classics. My son has watched it 11ty billion times
Mad Max -- Agreed -- best of the year.
Rome -- When aired, there was nothing better. It's over 10 years old now, and as with most things of the nature, it doesn't age well. When it first aired, it was 10/10 all day.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Pee Wee's Big Holiday (Netflix - 3/10)

Ok, I have this weird love for Pee Wee's Big Adventure. While not a great movie, it came out when I was in college, and for some reason I've always thought it is a hilarious mix of strange, funny, and awesome.

This Holiday ain't no Adventure.

It's kind of nice to see Pee Wee back on the big screen, even though he's obviously a little older. Also, I have no real complaints about the plot of Holiday - the story is about as solid and ultimately irrelevant as Adventure. The problem is the direction... this movie is almost good. It's almost funny. It's almost enjoyable. Unfortunately, it fails in all three categories. What this movie needed was a Tim Burton, or some other director who has a penchant for weird.

Bleh. Save your time.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Rome -- When aired, there was nothing better. It's over 10 years old now, and as with most things of the nature, it doesn't age well. When it first aired, it was 10/10 all day.

I wonder if part of the problem is that we've had Spartacus come after it? To be fair, Spartacus isn't the same, but it's in a similar time period and has a far more striking aesthetic. Oh, and it has boobs and silly dialog! ("Remove Jupiter's cock from ass!")

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

Ok, I have this weird love for Pee Wee's Big Adventure. While not a great movie, it came out when I was in college, and for some reason I've always thought it is a hilarious mix of strange, funny, and awesome.

It's kind of nice to see Pee Wee back on the big screen, even though he's obviously a little older. Also, I have no real complaints about the plot of Holiday - the story is about as solid and ultimately irrelevant as Adventure. The problem is the direction... this movie is almost good. It's almost funny. It's almost enjoyable. Unfortunately, it fails in all three categories. What this movie needed was a Tim Burton, or some other director who has a penchant for weird.

Bleh. Save your time.

I stopped reading after you said Pee Wee's Big Adventure came out while you were in college... OMG I'm old.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

Bleh. Save your time.

good to see Paul Reubens back to acting, altho still playing weird chars:

- first he was playing a henchman in Blacklist but doesnt like sight of blood.
(and he's been a mobster for a quite a while..lol)
- now this

-then he's going to be Penguin's
dad
in Gotham

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

Bleh. Save your time.

Glad to see someone else who likes Adventure. I happen to think it IS great though. :)

Pee-Wee is not "back on the big screen" though: "big screen" would be theaters and this was not released theatrically.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I'm a little too young for pee wee but think it's a great character from what I've seen; looking forward to watching the new movie

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Zootopia 9/10

liked it MUCH better than Inside Out.

cute movie
everyone working at the DMV are
sloths
..hahaha

but you can figure out the bad guy 2/3s of the way thru the movie :(

oh, I predict the sequel will involve hens.
ie: fox guarding the hen house

yeah, it's that predictable

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
so tomb raider reboot, terminator 6, Aliens: Identity, Ghostbusters 4

hey, it's the 1980's again!
just missing Thelma and Louise 2

Top Gun 2: Raptors?
or Top Gun 2: Drones

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

Bleh. Save your time.
That's pretty much what I thought after seeing the trailer :(

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011

I don't know that it aging well is really a problem -- I mean, sure the big "battle" in S1 was just a hodge-podge of blurred still frames to the sounds of swords clashing, but overall I don't think that was the problem. I just never felt connected to any of the characters, except for Titus Pullo ... and I'm 70% certain that was out of pity.

I wonder if part of the problem is that we've had Spartacus come after it? To be fair, Spartacus isn't the same, but it's in a similar time period and has a far more striking aesthetic. Oh, and it has boobs and silly dialog! ("Remove Jupiter's cock from ass!")

I've never seen Spartacus, but I couldn't help but feel like Rome would have been better before having seen GoT -- it has all the political manipulation and such, right down to the incest ... but I've seen GoT. None of this was new or shocking. I don't know if seeing it before GoT would have changed my opinion on it or not.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Bleh. Save your time.

Interesting. I've been wondering about that because PW BA is awesome...and it's not strange that you like it. It's a true classic and a formidable piece of work in it's own right. Sucks that this one seems to...suck.

Here's the "original" more or less:
Ladri-di-biciclette_poster_goldposter_com_23.jpg

I stopped reading after you said Pee Wee's Big Adventure came out while you were in college... OMG I'm old.

...I think I was in 1st or 2nd grade... :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.