NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 494 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The Huntsman is based on the previous Huntsman movie - Snow White and the Huntsman. Can't remember if sequel or prequel though.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Idiocracy - 9/10 a perfect realization of where humanity is headed, as predicted by C. M. Kornbluth in 1950 ("The Little Black Bag" / "The Marching Morons").

If you want to understand why Trump may be our next president, just watch this movie. He's got Electrolytes!

So true :(

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i'm shocked to be saying this, but

i think the new ghostbuster trailer is pretty cool.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
40 movies for 2014 ... I am pretty sure this was the list I found:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/anticipated-movies-2016-trailers-851797

'13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi'
Jan. 15
????

'Kung Fu Panda 3'
Jan. 29
sequel

'Hail, Caesar!'
Feb. 5
?????

'Zoolander 2'
Feb. 12
sequel

'Deadpool'
Feb. 12
clone - agree that it could be argued that this is a change

'Zootopia'
March 4
?????

'Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice'
March 25
clone

'My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2'
March 25
sequel

'The Jungle Book'
April 15
remake

'The Huntsman: Winter's War'
April 22

'Captain America: Civil War'
May 6
sequel

'Snowden'
May 13
doc-drama - original but just a big f'ing money grab

'The Angry Birds Movie'
May 20
game based original - OK, this is a new thing ... not new but seems to be popular this year. Movies based on games.

'Neighbors 2'
May 20
sequel

'X-Men: Apocalypse'
May 27
sequel

'Top Secret Untitled Lonely Island Movie'
June 3
???? - is this a Saturnight Live skit turned movie (sequel then?) or is this actually original?

'Warcraft'
June 10
???? - based on a game

'Finding Dory'
June 17
sequel - sorry this is just Nemo 2.

'Independence Day: Resurgence'
June 24
sequel

'The BFG'
July 1
original? - book based

'The Legend of Tarzan'
July 1
sequel - or a reboot. Whatever, don't care.

'Ghostbusters'
July 15
FUCK

'Star Trek Beyond'
July 22
sequel

Untitled Next Bourne Chapter
July 29
sequel

'Suicide Squad'
Aug. 5
????

'Sully'
Sept. 9
docu-drama

'Bridget Jones's Baby'
Sept. 16
sequel

'The Magnificent Seven'
Sept. 23
remake/reboot

'Gambit'
Oct. 7
sequel? clone? -X-men spinioff?

'The Girl on the Train'
Oct. 7
book based or ???

'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back'
Oct. 21
sequel

'Doctor Strange'
Nov. 4
???? - someone tell me what this is. Probably nothing original

'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk'
Nov. 11
book based

'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them'
Nov. 18
sequel - let's ct this bullshit, another harry potter. If anything I will recatagorize as clone.

'Moana'
Nov. 23
original original original original original - HOLY SHIT. THE ROCK IS THE ONLY ACTOR WORTH A SHIT! OK, this is really just a remake of a Japanese movie, right?

'The Founder'
Nov. 25
docu-drama

'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story'
Dec. 16
sequel

'Assassin's Creed'
Dec. 21
game based

'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children'
Dec. 25
book based

'Passengers'
Dec. 21
ORIGINAL ORIGINAL ORIGINAL ORIGINAL ORIGINAL ORIGINAL - HOLY SHIT

All Holllywood needs now is another AVP movie. A movie based on a game that was based on two movies that is a "fad" for 2016 and a sequel. I should be CEO! Oh wait, if I base it on one of the actual comic books, we could even call it book based!!!
You could say that all the comic movies are book adaptations and just as unoriginal as Assasin's Creed being adapted from a game. Edit Deadpool? Also, Batman v. Superman was already a DCU Animated movie.

I'd label those as "adaptations" and 13 hours as a "retelling." Go ahead an put The Hunstman down as a sequel/adaptation of Snow White.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
THE BROTHERS GRIMSBY has got to be the worst movie I've seen in several years.
I guess I should have known what I was getting into, considering.
How bad was it? Where do I start.
It's bad. Its's really bad. And by bad I mean awful.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

at least it didn't spend $140M like Gods of Egypt and only get $20m opening weekend

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You could say that all the comic movies are book adaptations and just as unoriginal as Assasin's Creed being adapted from a game. Edit Deadpool? Also, Batman v. Superman was already a DCU Animated movie.

I'd label those as "adaptations" and 13 hours as a "retelling." Go ahead an put The Hunstman down as a sequel/adaptation of Snow White.

lol at this special designation:

'Ghostbusters'
July 15
FUCK

Oh, nvm: I see they are IHMJ's responses.

FYI: Dr Strange is an old, old Marvel comic, part of the on-going cinematic universe story thing that they have going with the Avengers and Infinity stones. It has Sherlock Holmes playing the lead.

The Huntsman is probably more of a sequel to that ~2013? film "Snow White and the Huntsman?" ....if so what a weird title, as it sounds like the exact same thing?

Last edited:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005

it's been kept surprisingly quiet, but donald trump gets AIDS in the movie. so I'll be seeing it this weekend

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
The Big Short.

7-8 / 10 trying to be objective. Generally Good acting, decent use of breaking the 4th wall, not bad "talk to me like I'm 12" explanations of the financial-speak for their "products" that were involved in the crash. Pretty good adaptation of a non-fiction book into fictionalized movie based on real events.

personally given my personal views I regard it as a 9/10. Only one banker going to jail over the near collapse of the world economy is pretty astounding.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Mad Max: Fury Road -- 11/10

Rewatched it (again) this weekend.
Turned it up loud.
Awesome in every way.

May 11, 2008
Project T (Tomorrowland). 5/10.

Enjoyable movie. Seems a bit of a rip off sometimes : A kiddie terminatrix(but sort of with the line : "Come with me if you want to live").
Story is a bit off.

George Clooney as an inventor.
Hugh Laurie as the bad guy. Seems a bit the same in this movie as Gregory House in the series but with a different accent.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
at least it didn't spend $140M like Gods of Egypt and only get $20m opening weekend

talk about a bad trailer. i'm not kidding, at least 99% CGI. saw it and immediately thought "omg, this film is going to suck".

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i forgot to post this due to new job, but i watched

Nightcrawler - www.imdb.com/title/tt2872718

at first i hesitated to watch this because Jake Gyllenhaal was way too creepy and i knew the film was about his becoming a psycho and murdering people for his films; but i was wrong.

first off, as a film, it's very good. you know what, let's talk about the lead straight away.

Ok, so Jake Gyllenhaal / Lou Bloom is a psycho; he is. No denying that he is completely removed from any sort of human empathy, he lies cold blooded, plans meticulously his moves, and has no fear.

But, the thing is .. he isn't really a criminal.

Think about it .. he doesn't hurt anyone. All his actions are horrible, but all thing we know that people do, on a regular basis; maybe not that everyone does all of them, but they are all human behaviors.

Ok well, he steals that watch at the beginning of the film; boohoo, he's broke and jobless. We've seen heroes come out of worse backgrounds, and we accept them.

When at the end he lets his employee die, he doesn't send him to certain death .. just to "something probably very bad or possibly even death".

I think jake Gyllenhaal has done his role PERFECTLY, and now i will tell you why i think so, and why i will not give the film more than

8/10

because i have (unfortunately) known a person IDENTICAL to him. I was honestly creeped out for half of the film thinking "omg, that is so Hugo" which is this russian guy who not only makes a living by doing everything illegal he can (subletting, no taxes, lying on application forms, shoplifting) and he's constantly trying to involve anyone and everyone is his schemes (where they work for nothing), lies to your face like it's nothing, and is proud of all this. And he NEVER, EVER F* BLINKS!

So i am biased and cannot give a realistic vote. Will have to settle for 8/10 - great film.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
i forgot to post this due to new job, but i watched

Nightcrawler - www.imdb.com/title/tt2872718

at first i hesitated to watch this because Jake Gyllenhaal was way too creepy and i knew the film was about his becoming a psycho and murdering people for his films; but i was wrong.

first off, as a film, it's very good. you know what, let's talk about the lead straight away.

Ok, so Jake Gyllenhaal / Lou Bloom is a psycho; he is. No denying that he is completely removed from any sort of human empathy, he lies cold blooded, plans meticulously his moves, and has no fear.

But, the thing is .. he isn't really a criminal.

Think about it .. he doesn't hurt anyone. All his actions are horrible, but all thing we know that people do, on a regular basis; maybe not that everyone does all of them, but they are all human behaviors.

Ok well, he steals that watch at the beginning of the film; boohoo, he's broke and jobless. We've seen heroes come out of worse backgrounds, and we accept them.

When at the end he lets his employee die, he doesn't send him to certain death .. just to "something probably very bad or possibly even death".

I think jake Gyllenhaal has done his role PERFECTLY, and now i will tell you why i think so, and why i will not give the film more than

8/10

because i have (unfortunately) known a person IDENTICAL to him. I was honestly creeped out for half of the film thinking "omg, that is so Hugo" which is this russian guy who not only makes a living by doing everything illegal he can (subletting, no taxes, lying on application forms, shoplifting) and he's constantly trying to involve anyone and everyone is his schemes (where they work for nothing), lies to your face like it's nothing, and is proud of all this. And he NEVER, EVER F* BLINKS!

So i am biased and cannot give a realistic vote. Will have to settle for 8/10 - great film.

I'm thinking you missed something.
He sets up those cops to be executed so he can catch it all on film.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I'm thinking you missed something.
He sets up those cops to be executed so he can catch it all on film.

...and
he is a criminal. He's fencing stolen goods at the start, he assaults the guard, and he knowingly withholds evidence to the police in order to set up a dangerous encounter where people die. He only agreed to the promotion and all those demands because he knew his guy wasn't going to survive.
He hurts plenty of people.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
House of Cards Season 4: [9/10] Season 1 & 2 were entertaining, albeit unrealistic. Then I adjusted my expectation that it's a fiction after all. Lots of people disliked Season 3 for being very slow paced. I agree, but it was fun to just leave it on and watch.

This season 4 came back with a massive bang. Wife and I couldn't turn away. Maybe because I'm an introvert- all these politics and talking to everyone would be a terrible job for me to have. The final episode was amazing.

Once again, Jenny from Forrest Gump carries this show, more than Kevin Spacey. Her Claire is so damn cold and unreadable. I always wonder what's in her head. Great acting.

Better Call Saul: [9/10] Slippin' Jimmy is so likable.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
House of Cards Season 4: [9/10] Season 1 & 2 were entertaining, albeit unrealistic. Then I adjusted my expectation that it's a fiction after all. Lots of people disliked Season 3 for being very slow paced. I agree, but it was fun to just leave it on and watch.

This season 4 came back with a massive bang. Wife and I couldn't turn away. Maybe because I'm an introvert- all these politics and talking to everyone would be a terrible job for me to have. The final episode was amazing.

Once again, Jenny from Forrest Gump carries this show, more than Kevin Spacey. Her Claire is so damn cold and unreadable. I always wonder what's in her head. Great acting.

wait.. the Princess Bride was also Jenny?!

<mind blown>

Status
Not open for further replies.