NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 46 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
John Malkovic is awesome in Con Air. I hate Nic Cage with a passion but Con Air and The Rock are two of his movies I enjoy.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Barry Lyndon - 7/10 ??

It wasn't bad. It wasn't great. It was different. It ran a little long at times and definitely had momentum at others. I don't know... Kinda not my thing since there wasn't anything really that great.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Great movie. Very raw but well composed. Fassbender was awesome as always and I thought the girl, who was just a random girl found on the tube, did really well too.

KT

Fish Tank 6.5/10: Saw it purely because you two recommended. It was okay at best. Yes it is 'raw'. But I hate films that people label 'artistic' when it's plain shoddy. I just can't stand such pretense in films.

The opening was SLOW as hell. Mia just runs about talking to fellow kids and nothing picks up until 20 mins in. I was on the verge of turning it off.

It had its moments:
When Mia threw that little girl into the water. Holy shit, what an acting. It was not staged, she was just thrown in there. Then the kid hugged Mia out of sheer shock and clinging to life. Then she got attached to her by the time they got back home. That's SO truthfully what a 5 yo would do.

I love indie films that focus on sheer acting, dialogue, and chemistry (For some reason I'm reminded of Revolutionary Road).

I 'get' the movie, but it was an okay at best, forgettable.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
can't win em all :)

but imo there was nothing shoddy about it. it was gritty, but everything was so perfectly presented, maybe too perfect and systematic if anything. so much great detail, it really built up the stories of the characters, letting you really get to know them, what made them that way, without having to show you. I agree that the beginning started slow, but it was valuable character development. It felt like a very authentic look into living in that world

but sorry you didn't like it. it's never fun recommending a movie and having someone not enjoy it

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Barry Lyndon - 7/10 ??

It wasn't bad. It wasn't great. It was different. It ran a little long at times and definitely had momentum at others. I don't know... Kinda not my thing since there wasn't anything really that great.

Yeah, I found this movie quite strange as well. I liked it overall and it was beautiful to look at, but a strange movie.

Fish Tank 6.5/10: Saw it purely because you two recommended. It was okay at best. Yes it is 'raw'. But I hate films that people label 'artistic' when it's plain shoddy. I just can't stand such pretense in films.

The opening was SLOW as hell. Mia just runs about talking to fellow kids and nothing picks up until 20 mins in. I was on the verge of turning it off.

It had its moments:
When Mia threw that little girl into the water. Holy shit, what an acting. It was not staged, she was just thrown in there. Then the kid hugged Mia out of sheer shock and clinging to life. Then she got attached to her by the time they got back home. That's SO truthfully what a 5 yo would do.

I love indie films that focus on sheer acting, dialogue, and chemistry (For some reason I'm reminded of Revolutionary Road).

I 'get' the movie, but it was an okay at best, forgettable.

Not sure who called it "artistic", but when I think of that word in relation to film I think of something stylized and obtuse, but Fish Tank is the exact opposite of that. The opening is just to lay the ground work for Mia's existence and how her life is in that world; there is no need for additional dialogue since she is quite often alone and it just adds to the bleakness of the film. It is a sparse film, but I think that is why it works. Of course if that is not your style, then I can understand not liking it. It's been almost two years since I saw the film in theatres, but that is how I remember the film.

That scene you mentioned is crazy powerful though; in fact the entire long sequence is amazing.

KT

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
can't win em all :)

but imo there was nothing shoddy about it. it was gritty, but everything was so perfectly presented, maybe too perfect and systematic if anything. so much great detail, it really built up the stories of the characters, letting you really get to know them, what made them that way, without having to show you. I agree that the beginning started slow, but it was valuable character development. It felt like a very authentic look into living in that world

but sorry you didn't like it. it's never fun recommending a movie and having someone not enjoy it

Yes it was an authentic glimpse into their life. But that in itself wasn't special enough for me. If I wanted a look into a trash family's everyday life, I can just tune into any of the trash reality shows. The drama was alright. Nothing was heart wrenching or deeply felt to me.

Thanks for the recommendation though, I did appreciate what I could.

On the same vein of 'human drama' Brit films, check out Happy Go Lucky and also that film I can't think the name of....

It's British, a pure drama, and plot takes over a set of four seasons. ARGH I can't remember the name of it. It's mentioned here. You'd like it very much.. it's about an older couple with a son and mom's secretary. The secretary develops a feeling for the son, and it's an 'authentic' look into a family, similar to Fish Tank. It's well talked about in ATOT and this thread too... WTF was the name of it.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
you're right, authentic doesn't make it good. but I found it interesting. perhaps that was the main source of differentiating opinions

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Cool, I'll check that out. You' probably hate Tyrannosaur Zeze; talk about a raw British drama which is even bleaker than Fish Tank...yowzer. Amazing movie though.

KT

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Yeah, I found this movie quite strange as well. I liked it overall and it was beautiful to look at, but a strange movie.

KT

I just wasn't feeling that kind of movie. It's a movie that takes a very serious approach on things. And while I understand it. I just can't see myself rewatching that movie because it was just not that enjoyable. I wasn't really laughing at any parts... I was just sitting there going, "life gets better and then this is where money, power, greed, and lust are all going to destroy his life because he is unable to resist foolish temptations. K. Got it... and here comes the next 1.5 hours where we just watch."

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I just wasn't feeling that kind of movie. It's a movie that takes a very serious approach on things. And while I understand it. I just can't see myself rewatching that movie because it was just not that enjoyable. I wasn't really laughing at any parts... I was just sitting there going, "life gets better and then this is where money, power, greed, and lust are all going to destroy his life because he is unable to resist foolish temptations. K. Got it... and here comes the next 1.5 hours where we just watch."

Yeah, no real surprises there and honestly I don't think I'm a fan of Ryan O'Neal, he really was not very good in this. I think the film could have been much improved with a better actor.

KT

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Watched Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (US version) yesterday and it was the MOST average and overhyped movie i have ever seen. Everything about that movie was average, the plot and story nothing but a stereotype etc..etc.. lame.
The only convincing thing was Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara (good acting)...but otherwise this movie was just "meh".

Last edited:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Watched Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (US version) yesterday and it was the MOST average and overhyped movie i have ever seen. Everything about that movie was average, the plot and story nothing but a stereotype etc..etc.. lame.
The only convincing thing was Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara (good acting)...but otherwise this movie was just "meh".

The Girl with a Dragon Tatoo (Original European) 7/10: I haven't seen the US remake, but this one was good. Nothing special though.
They did a good job with the clever concept of investigating- (Find the suspect through what the girl was looking at in the old photo -> Trace it by a spectator's camera also shooting in the same direction -> look at those photos. Pretty smooth.

Last edited:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Pusher 2 8 -- Danish gangster movie. Story written by Nicolas Refn, great story, acting is good too. The movie is captivating and just awesome. Very "raw" movie about a bunch of lowlifes. Mads Mikkelsen plays the part of Tonny perfectly.

Pusher 3 -- 7 Danish Film, another story by Nicolas Refn. This story is good, but the acting isn't quite as strong as in part 2.

burn, I assume you've seen the first of the three? I didn't see it mentioned; I've got the netflix dvd at home waiting.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
burn, I assume you've seen the first of the three? I didn't see it mentioned; I've got the netflix dvd at home waiting.

Have you seen Revolutionary Road? That's some good shit. Highly rec'd. Leo and Kate reunite, but it's a sickeningly dark film. Well done.

Jesus the performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I-56Xyr0Bw (just makes you cringe) Just amazing performance out of plain 4 characters.

Last edited:

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
Real Steel - 3/10

Ugh, what can I say...this movie sucked. It irritated me more than I ejoyed it, and towards the end I just hated everything about it. Just awful on all levels. Cheesy, full of clichés, bad acting, and mis-cast parts. Tim Allen would have fit the lead role better than Hugh Jackman. I just don't view him as comic, and this role made him look like Hugh Jackass.

There were only 2 redeeming qualities from this movie that warranted my 3/ 10 rating. My 6 year old son loved it and it had great CGI fighting. Without those 2 things I would have rated this an easy 1/10. I had no feeling or care for any of the characters, except maybe Kevin Durand who was pretty awesome. The father son relationship was poorly executed with no definite attachment. The Russian chick for the other robot was a fake hot actress with a fake accent. Cheesy cheesy bad acting. Did I mention I actually hated this movie by the end? But I still kept watching in hope that it got better. But it only got worse. Don’t waste your time unless your watching for the sake of a young child.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
https://twitter.com/#!/ebertchicago/status/161999542185754626
33ebert_normal.jpg
Roger Ebert@ebertchicago

I hear Netflix, in a budget move, is cutting back on indie films. But...but...that's what people use Netflix, to find films off the map.

-------

my biggest fear...cutting the small, good stuff for the big, garbage stuff. hopefully it's not true

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
:wub: Roger Ebert.

World's Greatest Dad - 8/10

I loved it! I think this is Robin Williams's best performance to date. Not going into details.. it is basically a movie about how society reacts to [popular]people after they die. A really well done movie.. enjoyed it immensely.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
https://twitter.com/#!/ebertchicago/status/161999542185754626
33ebert_normal.jpg
Roger Ebert@ebertchicago

I hear Netflix, in a budget move, is cutting back on indie films. But...but...that's what people use Netflix, to find films off the map.

-------

my biggest fear...cutting the small, good stuff for the big, garbage stuff. hopefully it's not true

Interesting. I wonder if it will create an opportunity for another streaming option to focus on that market. :hmm:

:wub: Roger Ebert.

World's Greatest Dad - 8/10

I loved it! I think this is Robin Williams's best performance to date. Not going into details.. it is basically a movie about how society reacts to [popular]people after they die. A really well done movie.. enjoyed it immensely.

Yeah, decent movie. I actually loved the premise and the dark comedy of it all was pretty great.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Good, The Bad, The Weird (Joheunnom nabbeunnom isanghannom) - 8/10: Kim Jee-woon's Kimchi Western that is actually a fun play on the Spaghetti Western. There are some great action sequences and I liked most of the characters, particularly The Weird, played by Kang-ho Song who is awesome in everything (can't believe how many great movies he's been in) and his relationship with The Good was well done. I did find it was too long at 130 minutes; it honestly could have shaved 15-20 minutes off easily, but I liked it aside from that.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
huh, The Grey is a decent movie?

the tv trailer is laughable but the reviews have been decent. strange

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I have not seen any trailers, but yeah, surprisingly I've heard good things about The Grey and am going to try and catch it this weekend if I can.

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.