NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 412 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Vacation - 7/10 - Both the wife and I liked this for what it was. We actually thought the intro montage was going to be the best part of the movie, but we actually were laughing quite a bit throughout the movie.

The Green Inferno - 5/10 - Eli Roth's new one. Having a hard time rating this. I personally liked it better than the Hostel series, as it actually had some plot, however I wasn't that interested in seeing it. I wouldn't say it was that great overall. Some friends were going and asked if I wanted to go along. I wanted to get out of the house so I went. What I didn't know is that of the 5 of us, only 2 of us actually had a clue what this movie actually was. Hilarity ensued because none of the Eli Roth-ie stuff happens until 35-40 minutes in and then it just goes downhill from there, and while I and my friends gf are just laughing our asses off at whats happening on the screen, apparently my other friends gf walked out and none of us realized it until the movie was over. She had freaked the flip out as soon as the gore started and was still freaked when we caught up to her. She was so p!ssed that she just left him there. That and it was the same night as the supermoon/eclispse which was in full effect when the movie got out so the rest of us are just standing in the parking log staring at it in awe. The movie itself has quite a bit of humor in it that helps ease some of the tension, and I would say it is less gory than his previous work, but there are still quite a few cringe worthy moments, however the acting is horrible.

Supermoon/Eclipse - 10/10 - crazy cool stuff.

Last edited:

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
Clash of the Titans: 2/10. What an awful film. Considering there is quite a lot of acting talent on show here, the film is just awful. The CGI sucks badly, there is very little plot, it's completely predictable, the dialogue is poor and the action isn't that great either.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Chappie 9/10
It seems any Neill BlomKamp movie is a guarantee for a good evening.
Deon has such a cute helping robot in his house.
But i did not like the rap music, kinds of creates the wrong ambiance for this movie.
I think this movie is a bit deeper then most people think. I enjoyed the movie as a light hearted action movie, but it can also be seen from a deeper view of Nature vs. Nurture and what happens when a group of morons raise an AI. This AI is not a blank slate, it has some level of Nature to it, but look how it's entire outlook on life is changed based on who it is spending time with.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Completely forgot about this movie. Renting it now.
Outside of the main characters, the acting is . . . I won't say awful, just not all that good. The main characters are competent.

However despite the low budget, it's a pretty good story with some interesting twists.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I thought it was horrible.

Seventh Son wasn't that great, but for some reason, Jeff Bridge's silly accent/mumbling amused me. :oops:

I think this movie is a bit deeper then most people think. I enjoyed the movie as a light hearted action movie, but it can also be seen from a deeper view of Nature vs. Nurture and what happens when a group of morons raise an AI. This AI is not a blank slate, it has some level of Nature to it, but look how it's entire outlook on life is changed based on who it is spending time with.

Eh, I think trying to go too much into Nature vs. Nurture in the movie Chappie is actually doing that Psychology topic a bit of disservice. What I mean is that Chappie learned based upon how Deon programmed him, so unlike with humans, we don't have some great mystery to solve. Also, I'd argue that Chappie has almost no nature. He displayed initial fear (nature/instincts), which didn't really make much sense, but almost every action that he does can be traced back to something he picked up from the world around him (nurture).

Ultimately, if you want an interesting look at AI, Chappie kind of felt like Short Circuit with shitty rap music and no... brown face?

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Pawn Sacrifice 9/10

Excellent. Toby Maguire is very good here as Bobby Fischer, he makes the genius and draw into insanity of Bobby Fischer engaging and approachable. I'm not into Chess, though loved this movie. I was really into the USA vs Russia backdrop and the tie in of Bobby being used on the world stage and perhaps pushed to far, beyond his breaking point. Fisher says he was always looking for the truth.

Last edited:

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Okay, the posts were 6 1/2 hours apart. But really people should remember their own posts on the same day, even if you are going to flipflop.
WTF, are you talking about? :rolleyes:
Both movies (The Martian; Popeye) haven't been released in the theaters yet. 2nd link is a sneek peek of an upcoming movie in 2016.
This thread is for movies that people watched regardless of media source. :whiste:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
WTF, are you talking about? :rolleyes:
Both movies (The Martian; Popeye) haven't been released in the theaters yet. 2nd link is a sneek peek of an upcoming movie in 2016.
This thread is for movies that people watched regardless of media source. :whiste:

He's saying that you talked about it right after saying that this thread isn't for talking about such things. :p

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Quantico http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4428122/reference (TV show)

i am difficult to please and this held my attention to the very end. has the potential to be either great or a disaster, definitely worth a watch.

vote withheld for now

First episode was a disaster by itself.
Wildly preposterous, unrealistic. Lots of beautiful ethnically diverse people go to FBI bootcamp [essentially]. They all have secrets, omg.
Plot twists thrown in everywhere.
Seriously awful stuff. The whole thing feels absurdly contrived.

Now Blindspot looks like it has potential. Enjoyed the first episode.

Ex Machina - 8.5/10

The ending doesn't make sense. Good sci-fi flick otherwise.

Oh it definitely makes sense, but for some reason people don't get it.
What didn't make sense about it?

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Cooties - 7/10 - Different take on a zom com. Virus outbreak in a elementary school turns the children into 'zombies'. They don't hold back on the gore or teacher on kid violence. This definitely isn't a childrens movie. It isn't great, but has some funny moments and extra points for watching kids get beat to death and plowed down and the creepy weird omni pedo sex ed teacher. This movie is bound to offend someone. It stars Toby McGuire and a few other known people.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Age of Ultron 7/10: A fun popcorn flick. Definitely better than Avengers 1. The first one lacks cohesion and just turns out to be a giant, mindless comicbook action of blowing everything up.

These comicbook movies are definitely best when the scope is small- because you can relate to it in their every day society. That's why Iron Man 1 was absolutely amazing- a life of a lone genius, managing company, partner betrayal, developing the suit, arms race, and the middle east conflict & saving the villagers.

THOSE are fun. It's grounded yet exciting as you can imagine yourself having such superpowers (or in this case, having Iron Man suit).

Movies like Avengers- too many super heroes and power creep becomes too exponential. You're suddenly fending off extraterrestial beings from world domination, battling cosmic beings, and etc. It becomes shallow & meaningless for me.

Why was X-Men First Class so good? You see origin stories of mere humans like us- Magneto's holocaust past, Prof X hanging out in the university bar, etc. And everyday encounters of average joe's freaking out when they witness mutants' power. THAT'S fun- being able to relate to the audience.

May 11, 2008

I liked the actors when acting, but not their music. I agree, the movie has a deeper meaning. And the lessons Chappie gets from Ninja (The dogs scene i find the greatest, the AI computing its survival options) are interesting.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Age of Ultron 7/10: A fun popcorn flick. Definitely better than Avengers 1. The first one lacks cohesion and just turns out to be a giant, mindless comicbook action of blowing everything up.

These comicbook movies are definitely best when the scope is small- because you can relate to it in their every day society. That's why Iron Man 1 was absolutely amazing- a life of a lone genius, managing company, partner betrayal, developing the suit, arms race, and the middle east conflict & saving the villagers.

THOSE are fun. It's grounded yet exciting as you can imagine yourself having such superpowers (or in this case, having Iron Man suit).

Movies like Avengers- too many super heroes and power creep becomes too exponential. You're suddenly fending off extraterrestial beings from world domination, battling cosmic beings, and etc. It becomes shallow & meaningless for me.

Why was X-Men First Class so good? You see origin stories of mere humans like us- Magneto's holocaust past, Prof X hanging out in the university bar, etc. And everyday encounters of average joe's freaking out when they witness mutants' power. THAT'S fun- being able to relate to the audience.

I don't think its the power creep. I think it is just too many main characters in one movie.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I don't think its the power creep. I think it is just too many main characters in one movie.
Which I think is power creep.

When you have 5++ super heroes with 5++ super powers, the antagonist needs to be equally powerful.

And what ends up happening is a cartoony mess of generic shallow action.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Educating Cardiff -- 8/10

This is the 4th in the "Educating" series on BBC. Much like all the seasons, it's quite well done and really draws you into some of the kids and their problems. Once again there are a some great teachers in the mix that really seem to be incredibly invested in these kids' success and helping them accomplish their goals.

Previous seasons seemed to follow kids throughout the season versus this season which seemed to wrap up the kids' story lines from episode to episode. I like the "full season" approach better.

Sadly, I don't think they will ever capture Educating Yorkshire with Musharaf Spoiler Alert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWeKiZS-dxM

If you haven't watched any of the Educating series, I highly recommend it.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Which I think is power creep.

When you have 5++ super heroes with 5++ super powers, the antagonist needs to be equally powerful.

And what ends up happening is a cartoony mess of generic shallow action.

I think that Avengers 2 also did a decent job of drawing our characters down to human level. There is a problem in a lot of superhero type shows in which our main character spends a lot of his time lamenting being Cursed with Awesome. It isn't easy being nigh-invulnerable, able to toss tanks around like legos, and having the physique of an Olympic athlete with no effort. I mean he is so busy traveling the universe doing amazing things that he hardly has time to have sex with his super model girlfriend.

Tony Stark knows he has it awesome, and hardly ever complains even when real bad things happen, because in the end he is a billionaire with an Iron Man suit.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
A Nightmare on Elm Street - hah
Platoon - I should see this some time
Edward Scissorhands - Depp killed it
Benny & Joon - Never saw it but it was loved.

Awwwww Screw it
Code:
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
    Platoon (1986)
    Cry-Baby (1990)
    Edward Scissorhands (1990)
    Benny & Joon (1993)
    What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)
    Ed Wood (1994)
    Dead Man (1995)
    Don Juan DeMarco (1995)
    Donnie Brasco (1997)
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
    The Ninth Gate (1999)
    Sleepy Hollow (1999)
    The Astronaut's Wife (1999)
    Before Night Falls (2000)
    Chocolat (2000)
    Blow (2001)
    From Hell (2001)
    Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)
    Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
    Secret Window (2004)
    Finding Neverland (2004)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
    Corpse Bride (2005)
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
    Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
    Public Enemies (2009)
    Alice in Wonderland (2010)
    The Tourist (2010)
    Rango (2011)
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
    The Rum Diary (2011)
    Dark Shadows (2012)
    The Lone Ranger (2013)
    Transcendence (2014)
    Into the Woods (2014)
    Mortdecai (2015)
    Black Mass (2015)
    Yoga Hosers (2015)
    Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016)
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)

I want the Johny Depp Box set. Regading Human Emotions.... if he had one or two hits that fit into the "never acted human emotions" description. Fine .... you win. But when he can do it time and time again with success...... there is something there. This is not the equivalent of a one hit wonder. This is Milli Vanilli having 10 gold records and not lip syncing kind of talent. I'm not sure where I am going with that. But it is good. As in saying that it is more than good luck and good timing. Good luck and timing only gets you a 2 year career ... not a 30+ year career. He'd be partying with the likes of one of the two Correy's if that were the case. He would not have a career like Tom Cruise if he truly had no tallent.

Depp showed plenty of emotion in Blow and Donnie Brasco, but probably because he was playing real life characters there.

Also he was fairly good in 21 Jump Street.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
hell on wheels - 8/10 so far

someone recommend this to me a while back and i watched the first 5 episodes only so far while on flights last week. so far i really like it. i'd give it a better grade if the acting wasn't terrible for many characters, and also the battles are pretty poorly choreographed thus far, and the sound during them was really bad too.

Status
Not open for further replies.