NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 36 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I think it could be a case of both - for the general public it could be a non-issue; for enthusiasts it could really jar you out of your versimilitude; like for'nstance - why the hell does the bad guys in Iron Man 2 stay down/get KO'd when they are taken down by Scarlett Johanssen's character? It's not like she did anything that's particularly injuring outside of falling down. And if they have a condition where tripping is fatal, why are they hired on as security in the first place? And where did they find such a large group of people with the same condition? Were they just participants in a pharmaceutical test next door?

Of course it's not the best an example where a man in an iron suit can fly around, shoot balls of light at enemies and everything explodes, but you get the idea.

It's a fair point and everyone is going to react to these differently based on your personal knowledge and whether the film succeeds on either having you buy in to those idiosyncrasies, or distracting you from them.

Your example is flawed as you noted, since to me those types of things are entirely plausible within the world of Iron Man, but I do see your point.

KT

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
But is that not a fault of the marketing department, not the film? There are examples of marketing misrepresenting films every month, I mean look at The American from last year, that one was grossly misrepresented in the marketing; it does not make it a bad film and it's not the fault of the film nor the Director.

Would you not agree that a film with a limited budget and time constraints, is better served by spending that time on making a coherent narrative and a satisfying film, rather than getting minor details correct?

While I agree you should always try your best to get as many of these things correct as you can, there are often limitations in place that prohibit those making the film from getting everything right. I have not looked at the numbers, but I have to imagine Gone in 60 Seconds had a much larger budget and more time to get those details correct, not to mention that was the focal point of that film and was really all it had going for it. Would you exchange the proper rims on a vehicle in that movie for a more gratifying story? I know I would.

KT

Oh definitely, characters/plot/direction is more important absolutely.

Details do matter though, and the big ones aren't difficult to get correct. Hell, a hypothetical thread posted here in AT would have answered the question easily, and that wouldn't have cost a dime. Not to mention the countless other resources available in that area.

To go back to the gun example, this has gotten pretty good over the past 15 years or so, where I see relatively few errors with firearms in quality films. I think at least some of that is due to the quality of experts on the subject that manage such stunts, which got much greater scrutiny after Brandon Lee's accidental death.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Mad Men is a good example of people making a concerted effort to get details right, and it pays off. Of course mistakes will still slip through, but it's only a good thing to approach filmmaking with an eye towards realism unless you're dealing in a fantasy/absurd realm.

Even good Sci-Fi is founded in some kind of consistency.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Oh definitely, characters/plot/direction is more important absolutely.

Details do matter though, and the big ones aren't difficult to get correct. Hell, a hypothetical thread posted here in AT would have answered the question easily, and that wouldn't have cost a dime. Not to mention the countless other resources available in that area.

To go back to the gun example, this has gotten pretty good over the past 15 years or so, where I see relatively few errors with firearms in quality films. I think at least some of that is due to the quality of experts on the subject that manage such stunts, which got much greater scrutiny after Brandon Lee's accidental death.

Mad Men is a good example of people making a concerted effort to get details right, and it pays off. Of course mistakes will still slip through, but it's only a good thing to approach filmmaking with an eye towards realism unless you're dealing in a fantasy/absurd realm.

Even good Sci-Fi is founded in some kind of consistency.

I've not seen Mad Men, but those details seem to be integral to the show. They also have teams of people to work on this stuff on a weekly basis, so there is more time to vet these types of things.

Anyway, I don't completely disagree with you, I just think in this case Refn was focused on other things and honestly for me those details looked fine and did not impact my enjoyment of the film in the slightest.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Rango - 8/10: As people who follow this thread probably know I am not a huge fan of cartoons, but I thought this was actually pretty damn fun and funny and looked quite impressive! The story felt a little like Chinatown, but as a Western and with cartoon animals. Rango was a cute character with some funny lines and I liked several of the side characters too. It did feel a little long, but that was probably my fault by choosing the extended version over the theatrical. Overall a straight up fun watch.

Hall Pass - 6.5/10: Actually much funnier than I expected, but not really a good movie. I do like Owen Wilson, no matter what people think, and his character here is fun and endearing like he always seems to be. Unfortunately it just drags on too long and has a painfully predictable last 20 minutes or so which bored me, but I have to admit I laughed at several gags throughout the rest of the movie. Not much else to say.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I've watched Flipped, Senna and Crazy, Stupid, Love on my flight to India.

I liked Flipped.. absolutely loved Senna and thought CSL was meh. For some reason.. I hate Emma Stone even more. :hmm:

I love Emma Stone. :colbert: She's no Carey Mulligan, but still.

Senna is freaking awesome! :thumbsup:

KT

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I just noticed The Siege came out in 1998, which is funny cuz it accurately predicted the xenophobia and paranoia we would experience after the terrorist attacks 3 years later.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Hall Pass - 6.5/10: Actually much funnier than I expected, but not really a good movie. I do like Owen Wilson, no matter what people think, and his character here is fun and endearing like he always seems to be. Unfortunately it just drags on too long and has a painfully predictable last 20 minutes or so which bored me, but I have to admit I laughed at several gags throughout the rest of the movie. Not much else to say.
I felt the opposite. I think it was not nearly as funny as I expected, or it could have been. There were a couple funny parts, but overall I thought it was predictable with generally "filler" type scenes. When it was the group of guys all together it was pretty funny. Other than that, thought it was boring. I gave it a 4/10 just for the hotness factor of Nicky Whelan, Jenna Fischer and Applegate.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I Sell the Dead
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0902290/
7/10

This one was a surprise. I hadn't really heard of it before, and wasn't expecting much from it, but it was hilarious and VERY well acted across the board. Story was very entertaining. Could have been made longer, but I suspect this was a case of "director ran outta money so wrapped things up" ....
Hilarious movie. Agreed it was a bit short, and unfortunate because as you said the acting and storyline were both very well done.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
has anyone been using Watch It? I just signed up. I looked quickly and I'm assuming there's no way to import my netflix queue, right? I rather not manually import 600 movies :/ I do like the concept a lot though, so I might do it anyway. Especially considering that netflix just erases movies from your streaming queue that are no longer available.

edit: I was just playing around with it. It's still in Beta and it shows. I tried adding about 5 movies. One of them was listed four separate times, another wasn't listed at all. Out of the movies I was able to add, only one seemed to correctly show that I could get the DVD via netflix. They've got some work to do, so I don't think it's worth the effort to convert my queue just yet.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
has anyone been using Watch It? I just signed up. I looked quickly and I'm assuming there's no way to import my netflix queue, right? I rather not manually import 600 movies :/ I do like the concept a lot though, so I might do it anyway. Especially considering that netflix just erases movies from your streaming queue that are no longer available.

edit: I was just playing around with it. It's still in Beta and it shows. I tried adding about 5 movies. One of them was listed four separate times, another wasn't listed at all. Out of the movies I was able to add, only one seemed to correctly show that I could get the DVD via netflix. They've got some work to do, so I don't think it's worth the effort to convert my queue just yet.

Ahh, that's too bad. Hopefully they work out the kinks.

Yay for me; I like Cohen and think he's pretty damn funny. Was not a huge fan of Bruno, though I did still find it quite funny in parts. Hopefully this one is better.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I have hope for it. I'm a big Cohen fan too, there isn't much that is funnier than da ali g show. This looks like it could be a bit of an old school(not the movie) goofy plot movie with some good gags. Ben Kingsley should be interesting

Sep 29, 2004
DEC 25
I have a bad feeling about it but I hope that The Darkest Hour (in theaters Dec 25) gets decent reviews. The good news is that the previews make it look pretty stupid so if the reviews come in and it is pretty good, I'm seeing it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkest_Hour_(film)

Anyone have thoughts on this one?

Other than that, in 2012 I am only looking forward to Prometheus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_(film)

I have high hopes for this one. I hope it does not disappoint.

I've liked the Men In Black franchise thus far. So I am happy about MiB 3.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_in_Black_III

The big July 4 release is a new Spiderman movie. Personally, I don't care about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Spider-Man_(2012_film)

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
DEC 25
I have a bad feeling about it but I hope that The Darkest Hour (in theaters Dec 25) gets decent reviews. The good news is that the previews make it look pretty stupid so if the reviews come in and it is pretty good, I'm seeing it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkest_Hour_(film)

Anyone have thoughts on this one?

Other than that, in 2012 I am only looking forward to Prometheus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_(film)

I have high hopes for this one. I hope it does not disappoint.

I've liked the Men In Black franchise thus far. So I am happy about MiB 3.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_in_Black_III

The big July 4 release is a new Spiderman movie. Personally, I don't care about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Spider-Man_(2012_film)

The Darkest Hour sounds a bit interesting and it's by the guy that did Right At Your Door, which was a flawed, but interesting little indie movie. I am intrigued by The Darkest Hour for that reason and if the reviews are half-way decent I'll probably see it.

Definitely looking forward to Prometheus. I've lost track of exactly what the story is now, but I don't really care. Ridley Scott in space is enough to get my ass in the seat.

I have no attachment to MiB and Spider Man looks dumb.

KT

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
The Darkest Hour sounds a bit interesting and it's by the guy that did Right At Your Door, which was a flawed, but interesting little indie movie. I am intrigued by The Darkest Hour for that reason and if the reviews are half-way decent I'll probably see it.

Definitely looking forward to Prometheus. I've lost track of exactly what the story is now, but I don't really care. Ridley Scott in space is enough to get my ass in the seat.

I have no attachment to MiB and Spider Man looks dumb.

KT

Huh I knew nothing about Prometheus before this. Interesting looking. But...

"
In October of 2010, Lindelof submitted the revised screenplay to 20th Century Fox. The studio was pleased because it had contested Scott's proposed budget of $150–160 million and found Lindelof's screenplay to be more budget-conscious; Scott had initially requested a $250 million budget along with an R rating, but 20th Century Fox was reluctant to invest so much money in a film that was not PG-13.
"

So.. it's going to be PG-13? :(

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Huh I knew nothing about Prometheus before this. Interesting looking. But...

"
In October of 2010, Lindelof submitted the revised screenplay to 20th Century Fox. The studio was pleased because it had contested Scott's proposed budget of $150–160 million and found Lindelof's screenplay to be more budget-conscious; Scott had initially requested a $250 million budget along with an R rating, but 20th Century Fox was reluctant to invest so much money in a film that was not PG-13.
"

So.. it's going to be PG-13? :(

Yeah, it's not ideal of course, but I'm hoping he will be able to work it so it's not a huge problem. It looks like there will be two cuts of the movie, so it could be one of those things where it's best to see the film as a rental. I wonder why they would not release both in theatres? Have one screen with the PG-13 cut and one with the Restricted cut, so we can make the choice. :hmm:

KT

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Was thinking of going to see MI4, have some free tickets for Cineplex theatres, but Cineplex is only playing it in something called UltraAVX, high end HD I'm guessing. Like 3D they charge a premium and I think my free tickets don't apply. More and more price gouging, this and 3D is mainly just an excuse for theatres to charge more. :(

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Finally took the time to watch the new flick "The Thing" (prequel to the 1982 film by the same name). AWESOME! I'd give it a 9/10. Mary Elizabeth Winstead definitely pulled her weight as a leading lady in this film. :cool:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I was thinking I had a few things from the weekend to review, but I forgot most of what I watched were re-watches.

The Third Man was first. I think I gave it a somewhat mediocre review on my first watch. It's gotten exponentially better after seeing it a couple more times. It's a really great film. I also watched Greenberg, which is hilarious and underrated. The perfect Ben Stiller role

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - 8.5/10:
Why wait for the new release, it was a fitting time to watch the original. I thought this was a very well done thriller. I'm interested to see how the American version turns out. The reviews seem to be very favorable about the new version.

There's nothing that I really disliked about this, even though it's not a perfect movie. My only criticism would be that a few things could have been improved, plotwise and pacing, mainly. I guess that could be the fault of a novel being cut into a film. But overall it was exciting and the story was interesting

Sep 29, 2004
I need something good for Netflix tonight. I've had a long weekend. So Beer+Movie where Movie = ???

In the mood for sci-fi lately but every time I look at the available things on streaming I want to cry.

The thing is, I want something interesting. Like a good new twist on the vampire plot like Let The Right One In (or Let Me In ... which ever came first)

Status
Not open for further replies.