NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I saw two old movies that were remade recently.

1. The Mechanic - 6/10. I don't know why or how Bronson was cast as an action movie start in the 70s and 80s. Nothing much but the scence with the book and bookrack was kinda neat. I like the remake better because it has more hand to hand combat.

2. Taking of Parham 123 -6.5/10. First of all, LOL @ the bright mustard yellow tie of the main character and all the HUGE cars of the 70s and the 1M dollars ransom divided by 4 for the bad guys. The remake movie has a little twiste at the end and a bit political.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Taking of Parham 123 -6.5/10. First of all, LOL @ the bright mustard yellow tie of the main character and all the HUGE cars of the 70s and the 1M dollars ransom divided by 4 for the bad guys. The remake movie has a little twiste at the end and a bit political.

The original was fucking great...

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
The Fighter - 9/10

Man, what a great fucking movie. I loved almost every minute of it. The acting was superb, especially Bale. I could relate to this movie on many different levels, even though I have never been a boxer, or much of a fan. I would recommend this movie to anyone. And if they didn't like it, then they are either female or gay.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
And very nice review on Melancholia. It's on-demand here for $7, so I think I'll probably just watch it at home since I can't find a theater anyway.

If you can, please see Melancholia in the theatre. It is beautifully cinematic; the visuals and the sound are both very worthy of a giant screen and booming sound system.

Hugo looks like a winner.

It does indeed look cool, I just hope I can find it somewhere in 2D. :hmm:

I just watched the first 30 minutes of Red Riding Trilogy Part 1(1974) and I'm awfully close to cutting my losses and quitting now. It's a very beautiful movie, but the acting is so-so, the dialogue is bordering on bad, and it just isn't very interesting. It seems like it's going down the path of being "it's 3 movies, so you get somewhat invested in the story, so the twists are cool" but I don't really want to waste my time with that :/ Then again, it could be methodically building to something great, but since KT has watched it already, I don't think I'd be missing much.

Oh, and it's really hard to believe the baby-faced andrew garfield as a drinking, smoking, hard-hitting and experienced journalist. And I'm having a hard time with the accents

Yeah, don't bother if you are not interested right away. I did like how they tied in the storylines throughout, but it was not an amazing trilogy by any stretch.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
1. The Mechanic - 6/10. I don't know why or how Bronson was cast as an action movie start in the 70s and 80s. Nothing much but the scence with the book and bookrack was kinda neat. I like the remake better because it has more hand to hand combat.

Agreed on this one. It was decent and I freaking lo9ved the ending, but it was pretty slow and clunky. I need to see the re-make as I like Ben Foster a lot and I've heard pretty good things.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
If you can, please see Melancholia in the theatre. It is beautifully cinematic; the visuals and the sound are both very worthy of a giant screen and booming sound system.

Would love to if I could find it playing, but it doesn't look hopeful.

Yeah, don't bother if you are not interested right away. I did like how they tied in the storylines throughout, but it was not an amazing trilogy by any stretch.

I kept the movie on, only paying half-attention to it. It got a bit more watchable once there was a little action, but it still wasn't very good. The story is very muddled. I know it's trying to be a bit like Fincher's Zodiac, where the crime itself is secondary, but the rest of the characters and stories aren't doing it for me. Maybe I'll just read the wikipedia summaries of the other two movies :/

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Day of the Dead - 9/10
I used to like Dawn the best, but Day keeps growing on me. It just seems like everything in this film was gotten just right. Except for greasy-haired Mr. Drama, every character, right down to the zombies, has something endearing about them, and the ones who are being bastards get theirs.

Found the Blu-ray for cheap on the weekend, so picked it up and re-watched this. It is good; it certainly adds some different elements to Romero's general zombie films, particularly the whole humanizing aspect with Bub, which was very cool. I also found it quite tense in a lot of parts. It was quite good, but I still think Dawn is my favourite; could just be the whole mall setting which I've always loved.

A Matter of Taste: Serving Up Paul Liebrandt - 9.5/10: A documentary following a portion of the career of up and coming New York chef Paul Liebrandt, an avant-garde chef who struggled to make his mark after 9/11 when the city turned towards comfort food. I liked this a lot; Liebrandt is a very charasmatic character and I loved watching him go from restaurant to restaurant, developing menus and attempting to get a strong foothold in the city and seeking validation of the Times' critics. Has some great interviews with some great chefs and the former NYT critics. Fascinating stuff for me and if you have any interest in food and restaurants, it's worth a watch.

Punisher: War Zone - 7/10: Huh, very surprisingly kind of enjoyed this movie. It definitely has some bad, cheesy parts, but I liked Ray Stevenson as The Punisher and this actually felt a lot like the comics which I used to read when I was a little kid. Dominic West was appropriately over the top as Jigsaw, as was the guy who played his crazy brother. As a straight up comic action flick, it was a pretty good time and I was very happy to have lots of blood, guts, and f-bombs. Has anyone seen any of the other Punisher films? Worth watching any of them?

KT

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2000
Red - 6.2/10 - I didn't think the action/comedy balance worked. Didn't hate it but fell flat to me. Cliche too.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Rampage - 6.5/10: Surprisingly decent Uwe Boll movie about a kid that goes on a rampage. I actually thought the beginning build-up in this film was decent and the rest of it was actually quite good, but some of Boll's choices throughout kind of ruined things. There is the use of flashbacks or flashforwards which are not only confusing, but actually diminish the impact of what happens later in the film. There is also the question of motivation, which I suppose you learn at the end, but throughout leaves you wondering why things are happening. I think in the hands of a better director this could have been very good, but as it is, it is only good.

Splinter - 8.5/10: Awesome creature flick! Surrounds one couple taken hostage by another couple who all get trapped in a gas station when some weird, splintery creature starts coming after them. The creature design and effects were awesome and I thought the acting was surprisingly decent. Good tension, some great deaths, and while there was a bit of crappy dialogue near the end, plus a bit of a contrived attempt at generating sympathy for a particular character, it was not enough to detract from my overall enjoyment of the film. Quality watch for horror fans like me.

KT

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Drive Angry - 8 / 10 (for the genre)

If you like neo-exploitation fare like Hobo With a Shotgun and Machete, this is a fun bit of the old ultraviolence. Nic Cage is a father whose daughter is murdered by a Satanic cult leader, who plans to sacrifice her baby to Satan. Nic doesn't agree with that plan. Intentionally a bit silly, but enjoyable.

PSA - Three Colors Trilogy on blu-ray - Kieslowski's 2 masterpieces (Blue, Red) and a pretty good middle film (White) are finally out on Criterion blu-ray. I don't have my copies yet, but Blue and Red already looked amazing on DVD so I'm looking forward to seeing these in higher resolution and deeper color.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
PSA - Three Colors Trilogy on blu-ray - Kieslowski's 2 masterpieces (Blue, Red) and a pretty good middle film (White) are finally out on Criterion blu-ray. I don't have my copies yet, but Blue and Red already looked amazing on DVD so I'm looking forward to seeing these in higher resolution and deeper color.

Yeah, mine is in the mail! I sure hope it gets here soon, I am super excited to sit down and watch the whole thing on Blu. :awe:

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Miracle on 34th Street(1947) - 9.5/10:
If you haven't seen this, watch it between now and Christmas. Seriously, do it.

I watched this for the first time last night, and wow was it great. I had no interest in it, and always said no when my gf asked if I wanted to watch. Last night she started it on Netflix streaming and it didn't take long to hook me in. It's VERY funny, PERFECTLY acted by every character, and it's a touching story. It has some serious issues it conveys too, but nothing that takes away from the movie even if you disagree with them.

I can't believe how much I liked this movie, but it's really a gem. It's not corny or childish, it's a real movie, and a must watch

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Miracle on 34th Street(1947) - 9.5/10:
If you haven't seen this, watch it between now and Christmas. Seriously, do it.

I watched this for the first time last night, and wow was it great. I had no interest in it, and always said no when my gf asked if I wanted to watch. Last night she started it on Netflix streaming and it didn't take long to hook me in. It's VERY funny, PERFECTLY acted by every character, and it's a touching story. It has some serious issues it conveys too, but nothing that takes away from the movie even if you disagree with them.

I can't believe how much I liked this movie, but it's really a gem. It's not corny or childish, it's a real movie, and a must watch

Not sure if I've seen this one, is it the one with the real Santa Clause at the mall? I absolutely hate the other one with zombie Jimmy Stewart.

Sadly, it is going to be a 3D only affair.

Hah, was just checking my listing for this weekend and it looks like it is in 2D here:

Hugo

(G) [2:07]1st week

Today (Fri): 1:00

Sat, Sun: 1:00
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu: 1:15
Also in 3D
Today (Fri): 1:20, 4:30, 7:25, 10:20

Sat, Sun: 1:20, 4:30, 7:25, 10:20
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu: 1:10, 4:00, 7:00, 9:50

Sweet! :awe:

KT

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Watched Hanna last night. Interesting, but oddly paced movie. Some parts just felt really out of place. Others were awesome. The actress did an incredible job for such a phyically demanding movie. Very "Euro" feel to the movie and enjoyed it. Not one I'd go back and rewatch though. 6/10

On a side note this movie had some of the most punishing LFE I've heard in a while. During the chase scene when she is breaking out of the base the tech music just explodes. I normally keep my system setup at a standard volume even in action heavy movies, but I had to knock it back down in this one.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Rampage - 6.5/10: Surprisingly decent Uwe Boll movie about a kid that goes on a rampage. I actually thought the beginning build-up in this film was decent and the rest of it was actually quite good, but some of Boll's choices throughout kind of ruined things. There is the use of flashbacks or flashforwards which are not only confusing, but actually diminish the impact of what happens later in the film. There is also the question of motivation, which I suppose you learn at the end, but throughout leaves you wondering why things are happening. I think in the hands of a better director this could have been very good, but as it is, it is only good.

Splinter - 8.5/10: Awesome creature flick! Surrounds one couple taken hostage by another couple who all get trapped in a gas station when some weird, splintery creature starts coming after them. The creature design and effects were awesome and I thought the acting was surprisingly decent. Good tension, some great deaths, and while there was a bit of crappy dialogue near the end, plus a bit of a contrived attempt at generating sympathy for a particular character, it was not enough to detract from my overall enjoyment of the film. Quality watch for horror fans like me.

KT

Yeah I too was surprised by Rampage. I put it on just hoping for a 'so bad it's good' kind of film to enjoy over a 6-pack, but it turned out to be surprisingly decent. Not great or anything, and I agree that it could have fared better in the hands of a better director with a larger budget, but it is undoubtedly the most watchable thing I've seen from Mr. Boll.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Watched Hanna last night. Interesting, but oddly paced movie. Some parts just felt really out of place. Others were awesome. The actress did an incredible job for such a phyically demanding movie. Very "Euro" feel to the movie and enjoyed it. Not one I'd go back and rewatch though. 6/10

On a side note this movie had some of the most punishing LFE I've heard in a while. During the chase scene when she is breaking out of the base the tech music just explodes. I normally keep my system setup at a standard volume even in action heavy movies, but I had to knock it back down in this one.

I liked Hanna quite a bit. That Saoirse Ronan is quite the little actress. Sweet soundtrack too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039628/

Yeah, the one with the real santa, though there are a few versions I believe

Funnily enough I just got an e-mail from my favourite theatre and they are playing this next Sunday. May need to try and make it to that.

Yeah I too was surprised by Rampage. I put it on just hoping for a 'so bad it's good' kind of film to enjoy over a 6-pack, but it turned out to be surprisingly decent. Not great or anything, and I agree that it could have fared better in the hands of a better director with a larger budget, but it is undoubtedly the most watchable thing I've seen from Mr. Boll.

I'm not even fussed about the budget, I like the rawness of it, but yeah, a better director could have done much more with it. Definitely his strongest film and I could even see myself ticking it up a bit more, since it was pretty well done even considering all of that.

KT

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Reservoir Dogs. Liked it a lot, although I didn't find Mr. White's character especially believable. He apparently goes way back with his boss, has been in the business for a long time, and emphasizes being a professional yet
he is so taken in by Mr. Orange that he kills Joe and his son
? 8/10 regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.