NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 244 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
The Abyss 8/10

It's been on Cinemax quite frequently as of late. I haven't watched it since I was a kid, but it still holds up relatively well. There are a few plot lines that don't really hold and there are a few cringe worthy moments. Overall, it's worth your time.

+1, I loved that movie!

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Grand Budapest Hotel - 7.5/10

Saw it this past weekend. Maybe my expectations were way too high from all the praise this movie has received. It was a good film, pretty funny, but not necessarily a "must-see" kind of movie.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I was quite dissapointed by this as well.

I thought the Foodimals were pretty clever and it was fun to guess their names with the kids. It had a few chuckling moments, but you're right it was a go for the money kind of film that really looked thrown together once they had an idea.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
"Gravity", 8/10, only wished I had seen it in a theater, it would have been awesome on a huge screen..

This was my thought exactly. My SO thought it wasn't as good as she heard and my thought was "Man, this would have been great on IMAX!"

I think a lot of the film was supposed to have been the build up towards the feeling of utter isolation and hopelessness. It just isn't projected very well on a 26" TV in the bedroom.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
You shouldn't have to watch a movie a certain way for it to be good. If you do then it's not good. I enjoyed the movie but didn't think it was that great.

If that's the case then people would agree 100% of the time on which movies are good and which movies are not. Perspective has a substantial affect on whether or not you find a movie enjoyable.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
walking with dinosaurs - 3/10 - the whole "real life" part at the beginning and end was useless and the movie would have been the same without it. i also HATED that the mouths did not move to the words at all. i was pretty surprised about this when i watched it. it's almost like the film was made to NOT have any dialogs but rather just read the body language of the dinosaurs instead, and that it was just dubbed over. really poorly done, and they also chose to only have a couple dinosaurs talk while the others just roared and growled. they also used fake dinosaur names or very uncommon names of ones that look like the very popular ones (like one that looks like a t-rex and stegosaurus but are named something else) which was odd. you can tell though that this movie is EXTREMELY geared towards kids, not like a lot of the more recent CGI films that have parts for adults and kids.

but i will say, the CGI was REALLY awesome in this movie.

Last edited:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I'd give it 5/10, because I had to skip through some of it; 4/10 without the cameltoe shot of the girlfriend (how did that get by censors?). Just felt like the movie couldn't decide if it was a quirky but serious, or a kiddie movie. Anton Yelchin is the only reason it was even passable; he seems to be a good actor.

The Kings of Summer 0/10

Got this after some preview perked my interest; false advertising. Take surly emo kids that don't like their parents, add a liberal dash of full retard movie clichés like hot girls that like the nerds, and then (not) enjoy uninteresting and stilted dialog.

If you are 15 and hate your parents, you may like it, but otherwise steer clear.

That was awesome!...LOL, That Addison Timlin is quite cute and I will have to have another look at Californication S04 where she is in one of the episodes.
I give Odd Thomas a 6.5/10...

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Out of the Furnace with Christian Bale, Woody Harrelson, Willem Dafoe, Casey Affleck, Zoe Saldana 8/10

Yea. A lot of good names there, but never heard of this, and got it on DVD through Nflix. I'd move Bale to the end of that list; loved Batman, but not an overall fan of his. However, I loved this movie, and Bale was the prominent figure. If I tried to compare it, I might ruin it; spoilers by association.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Man With the Iron Fists - 7.5/10 (if you like cheesy kung-fu movies)

Run Run Shaw would approve of this cheese-fest -- everyone has signature weapons and/or powers, the dialogue is "Ha Ha You Die Now!" good, and Russel Crowe is fightin' round the town.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
The Last Days on Mars 3.5/10
On the last day after 6 months of research on Mars dude finds a bacteria that turns him into a zombie, yeah stupid. He then proceeds to kill/turn everybody else on the mission. Just had to kill some time today and saw this on Netflix streaming. The set props buildings/vehicles are neat but it really looks like they are shooting in a desert in Arizona and not Mars.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Grudge Match 5/10
Completely predictable and generic but didn't suck as bad as I suspected. Alan Arkin is the best thing about the movie.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Soylent Green 6/10

Comes off as a glorified Twilight Zone episode, IMO. However, that TV series was groundbreaking. Sci-fi, taking place in 2022. Worth a watch, for sure. Uh, Leigh Taylor-Young was sumptuous eye candy. :)
- -
This Must be the Place (2013) 4/10

Watched over 1/2 hour, turned off and decided to skip the rest. I am NOT a Sean Penn fan and his take on a past-it rock star sucked, AFAIC. No energy except when playing handball with his SO, Francis McDormand. It had gone nowhere. The plot was about to unfold, but Jeez, 1/2 hour is a long time to delay getting into the story. Also, the production from the get-go was woefully Hollywood, which is a turn off.

Last edited:

raasco

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2009
There Will be Blood 10/10

I haven't watched this since it's original release back in 07'. Wow, I forgot how good Daniel Day is. He absolutely carries the entire movie. Milkshake mofos!

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Man With the Iron Fists - 7.5/10 (if you like cheesy kung-fu movies)

Run Run Shaw would approve of this cheese-fest -- everyone has signature weapons and/or powers, the dialogue is "Ha Ha You Die Now!" good, and Russel Crowe is fightin' round the town.
I like cheesy kung-fu movies and couldn't watch that thing :p

Last edited:

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
The Monuments Men - 4/10

Ugh... what a waste of a good cast. The characters were about as deep and complex as a spoonful of water. I wasn't expecting some kind of WWII epic but I didn't expect total fluff either. I can't really find any redeeming qualities that would justify a recommendation.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013

I haven't watched this since it's original release back in 07'. Wow, I forgot how good Daniel Day is. He absolutely carries the entire movie. Milkshake mofos!

The best actor of his times. ..by some distance. Also watch In The Name of the Father. I have seen the above movie and this one multiple times

1stezekiel

Feb 25, 2008
47 ronin: 6/10 seems like the cool parts were all shown in the preview/trailer.

frozen: 8/10 good family movie. neat twist on true love ending.

ride along: 8/10 funny movie. doesnt take long to get right into the good stuff.

stuck in love: 8/10 good movie to watch with a lady. good stuff.

the family:8/10 funny... action. robert deniro, pfieffer(sp) really good movie.

heaven is for real: meh ... 6/10. to me seemed like a movie that triggers scientific debate. not much for movies like that.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Cottage Country 6.5/10
Dude goes to the family vacation house to propose to his girlfriend but his asshole brother and weird girlfriend show up and ruin everything. Dude and brother gets in a fight and dude kills his brother. From there on it is just more and more problems as he tries to cover up the murder. Cute movie. Netflix streaming.

Bullet 5.5/10
Danny Trejo and Mike from Breaking Bad shoot, punch, and blow things up. Nothing great about it but it isn't a horrible way to kill time. Digital blood effects suck. Is it really that much harder to use squibs when they looks 100 times better? Netflix streaming.

Sep 29, 2004
CBGB - 9/10 - Been on showtime alot lately. Basically a docu-drama but I found it interesting from the perspective of the punk music scene.

Sep 29, 2004

On Netlfix. Started watching but quit once i realized how long it was. Thought it was good.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
The Monuments Men - 4/10

Ugh... what a waste of a good cast. The characters were about as deep and complex as a spoonful of water. I wasn't expecting some kind of WWII epic but I didn't expect total fluff either. I can't really find any redeeming qualities that would justify a recommendation.

Id agree with you. The sad part is the movie has TONS of potential. They just never really got any depth to anything. Its one of those i watched and after went that could have been an amazing movie but the writers and director failed.

The Railway Man - 7/10. I enjoyed this but thought it could have been better too. But still an amazing story and makes you think what you would do in his situation as well. It starts off a bit slow IMO but picks up after the first half hour or so

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
CBGB - 9/10 - Been on showtime alot lately. Basically a docu-drama but I found it interesting from the perspective of the punk music scene.

So it's dramatized? I'm kind of confused. Definitely interested in the subject matter, but I feel like I would prefer a true documentary.

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.