NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 175 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
2001: A Space Odyssey. 10/10. The most amazing achievement in cinema I think I will ever see. Not necessarily my favorite movie, but absolutely the most breathtaking I have ever seen - and it was made almost 50 years ago.

I love this movie since I was a little kid. In 2001, I was able to talk to Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood for about 2 hours just about the movie. I also have a signed and dated photograph of them in the EVA Pod with HAL's "eye" watching them.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
The way way back
7.5/10
enjoyed this movie. Was strange seeing Steve carell in a jerk role.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
True Grit (2010) 7/10: Overhyped and overrated. I understand people love this because it's a remake done well. At any rate, as a movie, it's quite insignificant. Love Jeff Bridges though.

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
Saw The Wolverine and The Connjuring last night.

The Wolverine - 3/5. To me, not the most memorable superhero, or Wolverine for that matter, movie. Lots of action. Some character development, with some very dumb choices made by the characters. As always, stay for the credits.

Biggest issue for me, and I don't consider this a spoiler since it's part of the trailer, is how the F did Logan get in the hole right before the A-Bomb? I'm not the biggest comic nerd but I never remember hearing anything about Wolverine being stuck in a POW camp in Nagasaki.

The Conjuring - 3/5. I liked the overall flow of the movie and thought the sets and cinematography were very well done. I laughed my ass off the whole time though because a buddy of mine and his wife went with me. They were like 2 8 year old kids watching their first horror movie. Jumped and screamed at every little thing and the chick was hilarious because she'd put her face in her hands and say loudly "NOPE, NOPE NOT GONNA WATCH THIS" lmao. My buddy got up about halfway through the movie and came back with 2 beers and slammed them both hahaha.

I did find it interesting that none of the characters the we see alive in the 1970s are still alive at the end of the movie. I was disappointed not one single person was killed and not one single female got naked. Also, is it wrong of me to think that because there was not a token black person in this movie that they substitued the asian guy instead and HE DIDN'T DIE? Horror 101 IMO. :colbert:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The Boondock Saints (1999)

8/10 - If this film doesn't have your jaw dropping at least half the time, I'd be surprised. There's one scene that's a bit over the top, but this is a good film :)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The Wolverine - 6.5/10: I wasn't too worried about this movie because I knew it couldn't be worse than Origins. Honestly, I don't think that it was really much better. Some of the direction just felt really lazy, and there were a few scenes that I thought could've been shot a bit differently, which would have been great for dramatic effect. One big problem that I've been having with comic book movies as of late is the complete and utter lack of compelling villains. When the hero starts beating the crap out of the villain, I want to feel like I need to jump up and cheer, and not that I should clap because the movie is finally going to end.

I've seen the Thor 2 trailer a billion times by now (it was also in front of The Wolverine), and I'm really hoping Christopher Eccelston's Malekith the Accursed brings comic book movies out of their rut. Kick-Ass 2 ought to be good (that trailer also preceded the movie), but if it's anything like the first, I'm going to care more about the bad-assery of the heroes than I will about the villains, which is okay. That's pretty much the same feeling you get when you watch Taken.

Biggest issue for me, and I don't consider this a spoiler since it's part of the trailer, is how the F did Logan get in the hole right before the A-Bomb? I'm not the biggest comic nerd but I never remember hearing anything about Wolverine being stuck in a POW camp in Nagasaki.

I've never read the old Miller Wolverine comic, but I don't think he was there. At least from the reading that I've done just now...

The grandfather doesn't appear to exist. The archer/ninja guy is actually Mariko's half-brother, a mutant, and becomes the silver samurai (no weird robotic stuff). He has the ability to infuse things with energy, which is what they showed with the swords in the movie. Shingen (the dad) is still evil in the comics.

EDIT:

Oh, and there's a lot of Japanese language in The Wolverine, and not all of it has associated subtitles. I'm not fluent in the language, but I can understand some more basic speak after all my years of watching subtitled anime. :p It did help quite a bit as I've never really cared much for scenes in movies where I have no idea what people are saying. Most of the unsubbed stuff is pretty basic Japanese, so I was probably able to understand (or get the gist of) about 80-90% of it.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
jack the giant slayer - 3/5

i didn't know much about this movie before watching it but it was actually not that bad at all. very entertaining throughout the whole movie. i probably would have given it a 4 but the cgi was pretty bad in this movie and the acting was kinda meh at points as well. could definitely tell it was a lower budget movie, even the sets and costumes looked weak. but even putting that aside, it was a pretty fun movie from a childhood fairy tale.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
True Grit (2010) 7/10: Overhyped and overrated. I understand people love this because it's a remake done well. At any rate, as a movie, it's quite insignificant. Love Jeff Bridges though.

It wasn't based on the previous movie. It was based on the book. I love it because it's one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in the last decade.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Oblivion-2013 7/10 - Pretty good for a Sci-fi film. Visuals are nice and the story line isn't to bad. Might come across as a little cliche to some though. I thought it was pretty good overall. Definitely worth watching.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Went to the drive-in twice the last couple of days. Might go back again tonight to see two of these again.

The Wolverine - 7/10, enjoyable. Good action sequences without a bunch of completely unbelievable stunts. The only slight thing that brought me back out of the movie and into thinking about the movie was
the early fight scene, when he was very skillfully running and jumping from roof to ledge to roof - in a long shot, he appeared to be a stuntman running much more slowly/gingerly/carefully
Overall, worth the $3; may watch again on Netflix when it comes out.

Hey, at the logical end of the movie, I got out of my car to head to the concession stand for some french fries ($2 enough to feed a family of 4 - that was my dinner last night, and I only ate half of them. Popcorn (did not get) - $3.50 for the hugest bucket they have. Pizza went up though - $10.25 for a large pizza. Anyways, I digress.) While waiting for a fresh batch of fries, I stepped outside. Suddenly, something was happening again -
everyone was frozen in time at an airport or train station - I couldn't hear the dialogue. What happened?

The Conjuring - for that genre, probably 7.5/10. I'm not a big fan of that type of movie though. I suppose that if you believe in that sort of stuff, the "based on a true story" would have you a bit more on the edge of your seat. What kept me from really getting into the movie though was that constant,
"well, based on a true story. So if this really happened - things like video-recording someone being dragged across a room by her hair, the pictures, etc., why hasn't the public EVER seen anything like that."
So, to me, stating up front "based on a true story" - kept me from really getting into the story since I kept thinking, "yeah, right." Had that spoiler not been at the beginning of the movie, I probably would have ended up more immersed in the movie. I.e, a movie like The Ring had its scary moments. But, if you were told that it was based on a true story, every time she started coming out of a television set, your brain would (hopefully) have a "does not compute" moment which pulls you out of the story. ANYWAY, I still enjoyed the movie.
And, I was fairly happy that no one died in the end, but really didn't like that the dog was killed early in the movie.

Despicable Me 2 Enjoyable, fun movie, 8/10 for that genre. Some of the plot was fairly predictable, which isn't always a bad thing. And the minions were as enjoyable as ever. Not quite as funny as the first one, but I enjoyed it enough that I might go again tonight.

Turbo Enjoyable. 6.5/10 for that genre. Perfect for the kids. The plot lacked much of an antagonist, or any dramatic tension. Thus, from an elements of plot sort of view, everything just sort of sequenced the way you expected them to from start to finish. It was difficult not to be 100% certain what the outcome was going to be, so every tiny bit of antagonism toward that goal met with very predictable conclusions. It comes on 1st tonight, so if I go see DM2 again, I'll see this again as well. ($6 for both movies, plus less than $3 for a french fries with a side of nacho cheese to dip them in; what a bargain.)

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Man Of Steel 4/10

WOW, so much talking in the movie and boring BORING fight scenes. I do not recommend if your a DC fan.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
The Wolverine 6/10: It had lukewarm reviews and I went in with lukewarm expectations. It was lukewarm at best, if not subpar. I will say it, I liked X-Men: Origins much better. Origins really focused on Wolverine's past and his desire to be left alone. And his first love was portrayed very well- what turned him into the hardened man today. Also Lieb Strieber played amazing Sabretooth- truly fearsome.

Lots of ragenerds forget all these amazing qualities of Origin and get hung up on Deadpool.

This Wolverine was worse. I couldn't stop rolling my eyes at village ninjas, awful lines, and shallow plot. You think Deadpool was bad? This Silver Samurai was the worst- at least Origins had proper character development of Wolverine. This movie was nothing but dumb stereotypes of Japan.

I really miss more quality action like the likes of X-Men First Class. I really hope Days of Future Past does its justice.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
The Wolverine 6/10: It had lukewarm reviews and I went in with lukewarm expectations. It was lukewarm at best, if not subpar. I will say it, I liked X-Men: Origins much better. Origins really focused on Wolverine's past and his desire to be left alone. And his first love was portrayed very well- what turned him into the hardened man today. Also Lieb Strieber played amazing Sabretooth- truly fearsome.

Lots of ragenerds forget all these amazing qualities of Origin and get hung up on Deadpool.

This Wolverine was worse. I couldn't stop rolling my eyes at village ninjas, awful lines, and shallow plot. You think Deadpool was bad? This Silver Samurai was the worst- at least Origins had proper character development of Wolverine. This movie was nothing but dumb stereotypes of Japan.

I really miss more quality action like the likes of X-Men First Class. I really hope Days of Future Past does its justice.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Suddenly, something was happening again -
everyone was frozen in time at an airport or train station - I couldn't hear the dialogue. What happened?

Wolverine goes through security at a Japanese airport 2 years later- you could tell Wolverine and Yukio traveled the world and had fun or whatever.

At check security check, someone's bin with coins and metal objects started to float - the sign of Magneto. Sure enough Magneto greets him in plain clothes. Wolverine tries to take a swing, but is stopped by Magneto's power.

Then he says he needs Wolverine's help for there is a tremendous new threat that could end all mutant-kind. Wolverine says why should I trust you. He says you don't have to.

Then all the people freezes- the sign of Xavier. Sure enough he rolls around in his wheels. Wolverine is surprised and glad to see him. Xavier agrees with Magneto.

Screen fades.

So Xavier is suddenly not dead because of that dumb mind-transfer bit.

And Magneto suddenly gained all his power back.

What a joke- a blatant disregard just to grab money for the franchise.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Wolverine goes through security at a Japanese airport 2 years later- you could tell Wolverine and Yukio traveled the world and had fun or whatever.

At check security check, someone's bin with coins and metal objects started to float - the sign of Magneto. Sure enough Magneto greets him in plain clothes. Wolverine tries to take a swing, but is stopped by Magneto's power.

Then he says he needs Wolverine's help for there is a tremendous new threat that could end all mutant-kind. Wolverine says why should I trust you. He says you don't have to.

Then all the people freezes- the sign of Xavier. Sure enough he rolls around in his wheels. Wolverine is surprised and glad to see him. Xavier agrees with Magneto.

Screen fades.

So Xavier is suddenly not dead because of that dumb mind-transfer bit.

And Magneto suddenly gained all his power back.

What a joke- a blatant disregard just to grab money for the franchise.

Uhhh
it's supposed to be a teaser for the next X-Men movie, "Days of Future Past". It was pretty damn obvious once they started showing the TRASK commercial on TV as Bolivar Trask (played by Peter Dinklage), the creator of the Sentinels, will be the enemy.

Also, undoing the utter garbage that was X-Men 3 is not a bad thing.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Wolverine - 6/10

Meh.
Not a bad movie, but really not great.
I don't know the comics, but seems like an entirely standalone movie taking place after X-Men 3, with basically minimal ties to the main X-Men story...i guess why it's called Wolverine.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
wolverine origins was a pretty shitty movie i'm not expecting the new wolverine movie to be much better. definitely going to wait till it's at redbox to see it.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Uhhh
it's supposed to be a teaser for the next X-Men movie, "Days of Future Past". It was pretty damn obvious once they started showing the TRASK commercial on TV as Bolivar Trask (played by Peter Dinklage), the creator of the Sentinels, will be the enemy.

Also, undoing the utter garbage that was X-Men 3 is not a bad thing.

Uhhh how did any of what you said has anything to do with my points of the movie being bad?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Wolverine was a big disappointment.
how the hell did the bone claw come out of his hands at the end.
wtf?

Thanks for not using spoiler tags like the others discussing it. :rolleyes:
Now I know that he successfully rids himself of his adamantium curse. Bones came out of his hands as a child in the last Wolverine movie too (when he was a kid and before his skeleton was infused with adamantium)
. :colbert:

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Uhhh how did any of what you said has anything to do with my points of the movie being bad?

Why would I talk about that when I quoted your posted on what happened during the post-fancy-credits scene? o_O

Omegachi

Diamond Member
Mar 27, 2001
Thanks for not using spoiler tags like the others discussing it. :rolleyes:
Now I know that he successfully rids himself of his adamantium curse. Bones came out of his hands as a child in the last Wolverine movie too (when he was a kid and before his skeleton was infused with adamantium)
. :colbert:

nope, that was not what happened.

Nov 7, 2000
Wreck-It Ralph - 9.0/10 - Loved it. Great visuals & sound, surprisingly deep plot for a kids movie. The blu-ray even let me skip the previews AND included the bonus features, a rarity on the rental discs. Look forward to watching it again when my son is older.

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
Really loved The Wolverine. All that I wanted from a mindless action flick. Had some interesting character development, awesome action scenes (Wolverine is just such a badass XD), was understandably cheesy/stereotypical (poor Japanese people must feel so stereotyped...), but all in all didn't have any major plot holes, and in the end Wolverine was a different character than when he started.

Best action movie of the summer so far for me... just no major faults that I saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.