NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Green Hornet... 6/10. It looked pretty, but I wasn't buying any of those stunts for a minute.

Oh, and Contagion... 8/10. This is a thinking man's scary movie, since it was realistic enough to be completely believable. Think about it... This is a disaster movie that COULD ACTUALLY HAPPEN.

Last edited:
May 13, 2009
While we're on Westerns, you might look up 'Lonesome Dove' if you've never seen it. It features standout leads in Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones, and is definitely a must see, even though it was a TV miniseries.

For something more visceral and immediately satisfying, 'The Man from Nowhere' is a gritty Korean action/revenge film with quite sudden and glorious violence. It was surprisingly well done.

Watched both of the above on Netflix fairly recently. Also watched 'Daybreakers', but it was absolutely mediocre and not worth the time.

Lonesome Dove sounds cool. I'll check it out. Big Tommy Lee Jones fan. I just watched a western on Netflix with TLJ called Missing. It was pretty good.

Shorty the movie you recommended is rated 2 stars? :confused: I'll check it out regardless but Netflix ratings are pretty dead on usually.

Last edited:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I don't have time to review it now, and I'll give people a chance to see it first, but

Drive - 9/10:
Awesome

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Fubar II: Balls to the Wall - 7/10

This isn't a movie for everyone. I didn't expect much (if anything) out of it and I haven't seen the first one or heard of it before. It's a mockumentary about two guys in Canada that leave town to look for work (with an oil company).

I thought it was hilarious. It's crude humor and the original is considered a "cult" following style movie. The acting was good, the characters great, and the story is decent. This is one of those movies you'd want to watch with a couple buddies having a couple beers (or something else if that's your thing).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1555747/combined

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Horrible bosses - 9/10

VERY funny movie, a must see (at least download it!). Plot line wasn't that good so I docked a point.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Drive - 9.5/10: Pretty near a flawless film for me. It's honestly hard for me to find fault with much of anything. The relationships between the characters are great, particularly with Gosling and Mulligan (I think I'm in love with her) who say so much without even uttering a word of dialogue and the action is fantastic. I mean the opening sequence sets the tone for the entire film; a drive through the streets of LA with barely a word of dialogue, just a police scanner and a basketball game on the radio in the background, yet the tension is very high at all times. There are several scenes like that in the film and they are done wonderfully. The quiet of those scenes really increases the impact of the action sequences. Easily my favourite non-documentary of the year so far.

Contagion - 5.5/10: Quite disappointed with this one. Too many story lines, to the point it diminishes the impact of the film. I was very much invested in the beginning, following the Matt Damon story, but once it starts jumping around to all of the other stories, it started to lose me. It was a very clinical film, which in itself is not bad (see Soderbergh's own Traffic which seems to thread the stories together much better) but it seemed to try and give you emotional turns as well and they really did not work for me. I did think the acting was very good, pretty much across the board (Damon is pretty awesome and I could watch Kate Winslet in absolutely anything) but something seemed to be lacking in the writing department. Not horrible by any means, but certainly underwhelming. Edit: forgot to mention the cheesy musical montages; seemed like a very cheap and easy way to try and progress the story without adding anything interesting.

Repulsion - 9.5/10: Polanski's 1965 thriller, actually very close to being a horror film, about a woman who goes crazy (not much of a summary, but that's the gist of it) played by a freaking gorgeous Catherine Deneuve. There is such an awesome, slow build to this film as you see the disconnected Carole (Deneuve) dealing with daily life, then how things slowly crumble as she becomes more detached form the world and is left to her own devices. You really go on a ride a of psychosis with her and being in that apartment, you begin to feel claustrophobic yourself as the world collapses in on you. It is truly amazing film filled with tension and horror and I can't believe I had not seen it before now. Polanski's a sick bastard who should be in jail, but motherfucker can the direct the shit out of a movie.

KT

Last edited:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
KT one upped me with a 9.5, and I gotta say that I was close to doing the same(though a 9.5 is basically a max score for me, where KT does give 10s)

Drive - 9/10:
KT nailed it in his review, the relationships between all the characters were great, without having to spend much time on them. We could feel what was going on without even being told. I loved that Gosling's character was quiet and soft spoken, thinking and feeling without having to explain.

The action scenes were tense as hell, and Refn is a fucking BOSS. The sound of the movie was great, going in and out of silence, music, and LOUD as hell effects, it was really awesome. The style of the movie was great, and the "pacing" was as well. I think Bronson was a better looking film, but with Drive he had to mainstream it a bit, but it was still great. I suspect not everyone will like the movie, there's been one or two mediocre reviews on here already, but I loved it. It really makes me want to go see Bronson again. It also makes me want to see Drive again ASAP, which is the sign of a great movie.

Like KT I can't find any flaws with this, and I'm struggling to figure out where it would rank versus the rest of this year's movies(this year keeps on bringing it)

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
KT one upped me with a 9.5, and I gotta say that I was close to doing the same(though a 9.5 is basically a max score for me, where KT does give 10s)

Drive - 9/10:
KT nailed it in his review, the relationships between all the characters were great, without having to spend much time on them. We could feel what was going on without even being told. I loved that Gosling's character was quiet and soft spoken, thinking and feeling without having to explain.

The action scenes were tense as hell, and Refn is a fucking BOSS. The sound of the movie was great, going in and out of silence, music, and LOUD as hell effects, it was really awesome. The style of the movie was great, and the "pacing" was as well. I think Bronson was a better looking film, but with Drive he had to mainstream it a bit, but it was still great. I suspect not everyone will like the movie, there's been one or two mediocre reviews on here already, but I loved it. It really makes me want to go see Bronson again. It also makes me want to see Drive again ASAP, which is the sign of a great movie.

Like KT I can't find any flaws with this, and I'm struggling to figure out where it would rank versus the rest of this year's movies(this year keeps on bringing it)

:thumbsup:

I generally only give 10s on re-watches. If I find something nearly flawless I give it a 9.5 on first watch, then I will bump it on second watch if it retains that flawlessness.

Yeah the sound and soundtrack are amazing. Really helps with the intensity.

KT

Last edited:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Watched a decent number of films lately but not too many worth remembering.

One I did see and thought was fantastic was Fubar: Balls to the Wall
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1555747/
7/10

I'd rate it a 7/10 overall, however, I enjoyed it more than I should have.
Essentially, this was done in a similar way as Trailer Park boys. Essentially, the characters remind me of Cory and Trevor....

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Watched a decent number of films lately but not too many worth remembering.

One I did see and thought was fantastic was Fubar: Balls to the Wall
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1555747/
7/10

I'd rate it a 7/10 overall, however, I enjoyed it more than I should have.
Essentially, this was done in a similar way as Trailer Park boys. Essentially, the characters remind me of Cory and Trevor....

Have you seen the first one? I kind of liked it, but I was unsure of whether to bother with the sequel. :hmm:

KT

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Have you seen the first one? I kind of liked it, but I was unsure of whether to bother with the sequel. :hmm:

KT

Unfortunately no.

I would like to, but I pretty much only watch what's available in the Redbox, or Netflix streaming, and Redbox is pretty much only mainstream stuff, and I haven't seen it available on streaming.

That said, I had never heard of it until a few days ago when Netflix recommended it....

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Dogtooth - 8.5/10:

Greek dark comedy which was nominated for a best foreign picture oscar a year or two ago. It's about a husband and wife who keep their children(2 sisters and a brother) sequestered at home, never allowed, or aware, that they can leave the property. They learn strange facts that the parents teach them. The father is the only one who can leave, and only by car.

It's quite a strange movie, but from reading/hearing comments before I saw it, it wasn't as disturbing as I imagined. Neither did I imagine I would like it as much as I did. The casting/acting was essentially perfect. The writing was great, all the characters were, again, perfect. While watching it crossed my mind that the humor was maybe a bit easy, just throw in some really crazy ideas and it would be funny, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case. Everything was so well done, the acting and writing as I mentioned, as well as the directing and intentionally flat photography, it all set the mood perfectly for the story.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
The Linkcoln Lawyer 7/10 - Mathew McConaughey (SP?) doing his schtick as a lawyer. Interesting plot. Your standard law drama movie except with the MM swagger.

Takers 5.5/10 - Various cast of actors redoing a movie that has already been done several times over and over and over and... They even reference the fact that it is a rip off of another heist movie. Paul Walker phoning in his normal "I wish I could be a name brand actor" job. Throw in Matt Dillon doing an average "gritty" cop role, a handful of various washed up rappers, and you got yourself "Takers".

The Company Men 6.5/10 - Lots of well known actors in a movie about the loss of employment in the current economy. A period piece if you will. Ben Afleck reprises his role from Jersey Girl except put his standard working class Bwostanien character on top. The tough scenes are the ones with Maria Bello in bed with
Tommy Lee Jones
. The tiny scene with her boobs doesn't make up for that.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
X-Men First Class - 5/10

Pretty poor character exposition. I didn't care if a one of them lived or died. (I take that back. I was actually rooting for them all to die.) Way too much emphasis on Azazel in the major battles for a character who's called by name like twice in the entire movie.
And really -- a graphic of nuclear exchange between US and Russia has the ICBM's going straight East/West across Europe and the Atlantic Ocean?
They couldn't even get the acceleration of a falling object right. It was Catwoman-bad physics.
The CG at the end was pretty bad, too.
And I wasn't buying 1960's. RHIBs and S.W.A.T. goggles? M4 carbines? And the actors were definitely out of the slovenly 00's.

But the plot was decent, as was the acting (outside of Emma Frost.)

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Drive - 9.5/10:
Contagion - 5.5/10:
Repulsion - 9.5/10:

I must have honed in on your Drive review at the expense of missing these other two :)

Such mixed reviews on Contagion. I've held off on seeing it, and with your review I'll definitely be waiting for the dvd

I haven't see many Polanski movies; Netflix doesn't seem to think I'll like them very much. But your review has me interested. I want to watch that one, and I should probably check out a few more. I know I see cul-de-sac mentioned here and there, I believe it's on criterion too, which is a good sign. I saw Chinatown a long while ago and I didn't appreciate it at the time, but I have to watch that one again.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Machete - 7/10

I'm sure there are as many viewers who would give this movie a 0/10 as would give it a 10/10. It's the over-the-top, violent, gory tale of an ex-federale who gets reluctantly drawn into a situation from which there is no peaceful escape.

No points for guessing his weapon of choice.

It won't take long for you to decide whether this is for you. People with a right Wing anti-illegal immigrant stance probably need not apply; I don't think they'd much enjoy this movie.

Anyone who wants to see an absolutely breathtaking naked girl should stick out the first ten or so minutes

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Dogtooth - 8.5/10:

Greek dark comedy which was nominated for a best foreign picture oscar a year or two ago. It's about a husband and wife who keep their children(2 sisters and a brother) sequestered at home, never allowed, or aware, that they can leave the property. They learn strange facts that the parents teach them. The father is the only one who can leave, and only by car.

It's quite a strange movie, but from reading/hearing comments before I saw it, it wasn't as disturbing as I imagined. Neither did I imagine I would like it as much as I did. The casting/acting was essentially perfect. The writing was great, all the characters were, again, perfect. While watching it crossed my mind that the humor was maybe a bit easy, just throw in some really crazy ideas and it would be funny, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case. Everything was so well done, the acting and writing as I mentioned, as well as the directing and intentionally flat photography, it all set the mood perfectly for the story.

Greta movie! So many people do not see any comedy in that film, so I imagine it's not quite that easy. I found several parts flat out hilarious and many other parts just disturbing. I'll be seeing his new film 'Alps' at VIFF and can't wait.

X-Men First Class - 5/10

Pretty poor character exposition. I didn't care if a one of them lived or died. (I take that back. I was actually rooting for them all to die.) Way too much emphasis on Azazel in the major battles for a character who's called by name like twice in the entire movie.
And really -- a graphic of nuclear exchange between US and Russia has the ICBM's going straight East/West across Europe and the Atlantic Ocean?
They couldn't even get the acceleration of a falling object right. It was Catwoman-bad physics.
The CG at the end was pretty bad, too.
And I wasn't buying 1960's. RHIBs and S.W.A.T. goggles? M4 carbines? And the actors were definitely out of the slovenly 00's.

But the plot was decent, as was the acting (outside of Emma Frost.)

January Jones is an abomination. She's been awful in everything I've seen her in so far. I liked this movie quite a bit though, particularly Fassbender and McAvoy.

I must have honed in on your Drive review at the expense of missing these other two :)

Such mixed reviews on Contagion. I've held off on seeing it, and with your review I'll definitely be waiting for the dvd

I haven't see many Polanski movies; Netflix doesn't seem to think I'll like them very much. But your review has me interested. I want to watch that one, and I should probably check out a few more. I know I see cul-de-sac mentioned here and there, I believe it's on criterion too, which is a good sign. I saw Chinatown a long while ago and I didn't appreciate it at the time, but I have to watch that one again.

Contagion was pretty meh, but you should definitely see more Polanski! I have the Cul De Sac Blu-ray at home as my next Polanski watch. Chinatown is one of my favourite films ever.

KT

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
The Departed: 8/10

I finally watched The Departed last night, I thought it was a very good film. DeCaprio was especially good IMO, especially playing the scenes when he was very vulnerable and about to lose it due to the situation he was in. Jack Nicholson was excellent as well, he came across as flat out crazy at times. Wahlberg was funny, delivered his lines very good as well. I liked the ending too: Damon: "Ok".

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Suicide Club (Jisatsu sâkuru) - 4.5/10: Definitely the weakest Shion Sono film I have seen. It starts out strong enough, with a giant group of Japanese schoolgirls holding hands and jumping in front of a train, then having their blood splatter all over everyone on the platform, but after about half way through it completely falls apart, leading to a confusing and sloppy ending. There were some good sequences and I actually liked the big red herring thrown in the middle of the film, but once the mystery starts to reveal itself, certain story lines are completely abandoned and it turns in to some odd existential treatise. I have to think this would be a much better film with Sono's current abilities, but this is one of his early movies and you can tell.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Netflix streaming PSA:

Conan O'Brien Can't Stop
Bill Cunningham New York

Haven't seen either yet but I've been patiently waiting, and they are now available

Status
Not open for further replies.