NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 115 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
FWIW: 3 star trek movies just hit Netflix Streaming. Star trek 2, 3 and I think Insurrection.
I don't believe I've ever seen a Star Trek movie, just the TV series, most the first with William Shattner, Leonard Nimoy, etc.

Can I get a recommendation for a Star Trek movie? There have been many, right? What's one I'm apt to really like?

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Hey, I posted another thread on this, but figured it'd go better here. A documentary film I was in has been released on Hulu now, I would love to get some feedback on it from the AT community :)

It's a Tetris documentary focusing on the search for the world's best classic Tetris players. It has everything from the creator of Tetris to many of the top players, and it was an absolute blast to be a part of.

http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/387835

I'm Thor in the film btw :)

If you like gaming documentaries, give it a shot!

Seriously? That's awesome.

I watched the first half-hour before I went to bed last night and it was pretty good.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Can I get a recommendation for a Star Trek movie? There have been many, right? What's one I'm apt to really like?
IV is universally loved, and for good reason, but you should probably watch I-IV in order, since there are past references in the sequels.

While they occur chronologically, and each references events in the prior movies, including a few cases of directly continuing bits of plot, you should think of them as chronological stories set in the same universe, more-so than your average movie+sequels. Not really liking I won't mean you won't like II, not liking II won't mean you won't like III, not liking III won't mean you won't like IV, and not liking IV...well, that's all but unheard-of.

V is kind of meh, VI and Generations are above average, but I-IV are simply great space operas.

Charlie Wilson's War 8/10
:hmm: I'm about 90% sure I have that on DVD around here, somewhere, and I haven't watched it. Archeology time!

breakfast at Tiffany's - -/10

This is maybe the 3rd time I've tried to watch it, thought he first where it wasn't on TV. But, like before, as it progresses, my mind just kind of wanders off, and I really don't want to bother watching it all the way through. I can't pinpoint what, but it just doesn't grab me. Maybe one needs to have some connection to an older culture to care about the environment or characters? I kind of get the feeling I'm not watching the same movie as the people that rave about it.

Dragon Tattoo Trilogy, 2nd go 'round - 8/10

I just got in the mood to watch it again, and in many ways the 2nd and 3rd parts (presented as ep. 3-4 and 5-6) are more fascinating and engaging, without the mystery about exactly what will happen next. I found myself inching forward in my seat, getting tingly waiting for what was coming, appreciating the subtlety of the acting and pacing more, and also noticing numerous little cultural things that slipped by my notice, amongst the tornado of a plot, on my first watch (the 3rd movie's episodes move almost as fast as a Bourne movie, for those that haven't seen it).

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Videodrome (David Cronenberg, 1983) 2/10

Don't waste your time. R.Ebert declared "VIDEODROME, whatever its qualities, has got to be one of the least entertaining movies ever made." No argument here. Only 89 minutes long, it felt like 3+ hours to me, couldn't wait for the end. Ebert also said "ending is bleak enough that when the screen fades to black it's a relief." My exact thought at the time.

Ouch, i thought it was one of Cronenberg's better movies and the theme of TV controlling us was good. Of course i still like Existenz better even though it is low budget and feels like it at times.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Ouch, i thought it was one of Cronenberg's better movies and the theme of TV controlling us was good. Of course i still like Existenz better even though it is low budget and feels like it at times.

Videodrome is freaking amazing. I like Existenz too, but Videodrome is awesome and one of Cronberg's best.

KT

ringtail

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2012
I don't believe I've ever seen a Star Trek movie, just the TV series, most the first with William Shattner, Leonard Nimoy, etc.

Best was the one with the whales ...was that, possibly, #4, I don't remember)

there's a rule of thumb that the even numbered ones are better than the odd numbered

Nov 7, 2000
Cabin in the Woods - 7.6/10 - Started off just like every freaking terrible movie on fearnet. Fortunately, that was by design. I think if it did get substantially deeper I would have lost my wife. She still wasn't thrilled with the ending, but I liked it. One of those movies that is still growing on me.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Cabin in the Woods - 7.6/10 - Started off just like every freaking terrible movie on fearnet. Fortunately, that was by design. I think if it did get substantially deeper I would have lost my wife. She still wasn't thrilled with the ending, but I liked it. One of those movies that is still growing on me.

I thought Cabin in the Woods was one of the very few movies that pull off the 'so bad it's good' idea. It is more of a dark comedy than a horror movie. They didn't try to reinvent the wheel...they just replicated every wheel design ever made.

Solid 8.5/10 from me.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Timecrimes - 9/10

The only thing that bothered me about this was the main character didnt try the obvious, which was kill the previous version of himself causing a paradox. Or kill the scientist. Or disable the machine. It could be that the take on time in this movie is that its linear, so going back in time was simply an illusion and nothing could actually be changed.
But it was very well done.

The Man from Earth - 9/10

A small movie about a man who reveals to his closest friends that he is immortal. It makes good sense, and the only thing I didnt like about it was a revelation in the end. Features some character actors you've seen in other movies, and 95% of the movie takes place in a single room.

Shame - 6/10

Pretentious, and ultimately pointless Its like someone wanted an excuse to show you Michael Fastbender's penis for 40 minutes. Every scene seems to take 3x as long as it needs to. You keep watching hoping to get some sort of payoff, and then you realize you are simply watching the life of a despicable person. And showing Carey Mulligan naked kinda tainted her je ne sais quoi.

Cleanskin - 7/10

British secret service hunt down a terrorist, starring Sean Bean. A little predictable, but nothing necessarily wrong with it.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

A small movie about a man who reveals to his closest friends that he is immortal. It makes good sense, and the only thing I didnt like about it was a revelation in the end. Features some character actors you've seen in other movies, and 95% of the movie takes place in a single room.

Crazy low budget, but absolutely riveting movie. :thumbsup:

KT

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Boarding Gate - 4/10

The thriller aspects were all too forced, and had almost no buildup. Instead of, "come on, come on..." it was more like, "WTF was that for...oh, I get it, now." What carried the movie was Asia's ability to be a little psycho, actually look like she's held a gun, before, yet still pull off a Charlotte Gainsbourg-esque lost puppy face. Even that wasn't enough to bring it to the better side of average, though.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Resident Evil: Retribution -WTF??/10 - Seriously..wtf. I mean, I'm pretty laid back about movies, but this is just...garbage. I actually sorta liked the first one, and the 3rd one, but the 4th was bad, and this was...how do you say it, even worse! The entire time I'm just saying to myself, wtf is the point of this movie, it makes 0 sense and really accomplishes NOTHING in the scheme of the movie franchise. How are these not going direct to DVD?

ringtail

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2012
Timecrimes - 9/10

The only thing that bothered me about this was the main character didnt try the obvious, which was kill the previous version of himself causing a paradox. Or kill the scientist. Or disable the machine. It could be that the take on time in this movie is that its linear, so going back in time was simply an illusion and nothing could actually be changed.
But it was very well done.

AGREE! Timecrimes starts off so slow, I thought I might shut it off.
Man it gets so good! And the girl is maybe THEE ALL TIME most beautiful girl I've ever seen in any movie in my life.
(allisholm, hater of pictures, this is IN CONTEXT!!!)
barbara-goenaga_58533.jpg

I've re-watched this on dvd, have replayed MANY times. Love it!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
Another agree for TimeCrimes. That movie was one of the best I've seen this year. Very well done Sci-Fi where new plot developments keep happening that keep you interested. And 11/10 because this is not some insanely budgetted Hollywood movie. Story matters!

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Battleship -- 4/10
The writer of this script should almost be embarrassed - it was really bad. I don't understand why they went the aliens route with this. That being said, the special effects were pretty cool, lots and lots of explosions. It was weird seeing Alexander Skarsgard outside of True Blood, but I think he did pretty well. Rihanna should just stick to singing. I wasn't expecting much, and it was entertaining enough. Don't think I'd ever watch it again.

Then why'd you give it a 4 of 10? That how IGN/the game industry reviews games.

Nov 7, 2000
I thought Cabin in the Woods was one of the very few movies that pull off the 'so bad it's good' idea. It is more of a dark comedy than a horror movie. They didn't try to reinvent the wheel...they just replicated every wheel design ever made.

Solid 8.5/10 from me.
yeah i got the feeling that the people that made the movie completely understood the genre and all the shortcomings, then made a movie that both mocked and celebrated them at the same time

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
In Time - 7/10

Has elements of Logans Run, Gattaca, Robin Hood and Bonnie and Clyde. Stars Justine Timberlake. You would think that would mean it would suck, but I had no expectations coming in and it turned out to be a solid movie. Its not as shallow as it seems, and most people can relate to it in one way or another.

Yeah. That's my opinion on the film as well. It was definitely an admirable attempt, and I'd probably recommend giving it a try if you enjoy Sci-Fi as it's definitely interesting from a Sci-Fi approach.

I watched it last night. I was mostly disappointed with the very weak handling of the B story about his dad. It seemed like his dad was some sort of motivation for JT's actions. So, I thought there would be a Top Gun-like reveal about the dad, but, in the end, we learned nothing.

MotionMan

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I watched it last night. I was mostly disappointed with the very weak handling of the B story about his dad. It seemed like his dad was some sort of motivation for JT's actions. So, I thought there would be a Top Gun-like reveal about the dad, but, in the end, we learned nothing.

MotionMan

Well, the cop said the dad died doing what JT was doing. I thought the cop was going to turn out to be the dad. If you wanted to stretch it a bit, you could say in a way JT got to know his dad through his robin hood activities. Maybe the disc extras this is expanded a bit, but yeah, this was kinda thin. It was mainly used as a way to make the cop a bad guy. Well, not bad, but clearly the antagonist, especially when you consider JT actually did nothing wrong. Funny that they go to the ends of the earth to get JT for receiving time legitimately, but those f'in minute men are going around killing people, and they walk around with impunity. I guess if he would have stayed in the ghetto they wouldnt have went after him.

Status
Not open for further replies.