November 2016 cheap TV thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I spent about 6 hours loafing around the mall & a bunch of other stores like Best Buy & PC Richards. Personally, I didn't care for any of the Vizios I saw. I would take a 4K TCL or 4K Insignia over any of them. Really the best deal I saw all day was the 55" 4K TCL Roku TV for $399 at Target (available elsewhere too, I believe). They had tons left at my store.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I don't know about the 49" version, but I picked up the 40" model in that series, and I liked it so much, I ordered another one a few days later.

I got the very basic 40" Hisense for $170 shipped. Very nice picture. Great for gaming. Has a game mode and with or without it any motion blur is not to be found and the response is super. Fabulous budget 40". Better than Sceptre etc etc.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-40-class-39-5-diag--led-1080p-hdtv-black/5369500.p

Yeah, I have yet to see a 4K screen that looks like crap. Sure, HDR etc. make for a better picture, but for 2x/3x/4x the money of the cheapos...meh.

I'm really happy with my 65" 4K TCL Roku set. Sure, I'd prefer a 75" Sony X940d, but for 1/4 the cost, no thanks!

Reactions: Sonikku

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
The extra 10% discount is dead but fwiw, I'll mention that it seems this model D40n-E3 apparently replaced the E40-D0 under the same DCPI, and at least on Sunday, my store had some of both models. (The E40 doesn't show up on Targert's website at all at the moment, but as of yesterday, anyway, if you did a Google search on the E40, the "shop now" side panel had a Target link IDed by that model number, but which actually led to the page with the D40n that's currently assigned to the DCPI.) Whether Target locations generally had/have both models, I don't know, but if anyone's interested in a cheap smart set, it might be worth looking into. (Fwiw, the two models have different UPCs, although they share DCPI 008-09-0107. The UPC for the D40n is 845226014307 and for the E40, it's 845006013959.) [...] I ended up buying one of each, planning to return whichever I like less...
Well, fwiw, my belated last word on this (after returning the non-preferred set on the last day of the post-holiday return period) is that the "dumb" D40n-E3 has significantly better picture quality than the smart E40-D0, both straight out of the box and after messing around with the picture settings (though not extensively). I didn't bother trying to test the difference in refresh rate, since basic PQ is much more important to me than occasional issues with particularly fast motion. Basically, neither one is wonderful, but I was much more interested in keeping the cost down than maximizing PQ, even at the lower end of the overall range of 1080p/LCD sets. And the D40n has tolerable blacks and overall color reproduction, while the E40 managed to look both washed out and its colors skewed very warm, yellow-orange-y skin tones and all... And since the BD player I also picked up on Cyber Monday (a Samsung BD-J5700, $42 net at Target) has all the streaming options I might be interested in, the D40's lack of smarts isn't an issue at all...

Last edited:

noleusmaximus

Aug 5, 2015
I recently discovered a way to upgrade televisions. The prices of TV's generally have been falling. I bought my friend a 32" Samsung at Walmart for $179 just before Christmas. He returned the TV for full credit and upgraded for a small fee to a 46" Sony 4k. That got me thinking.
Walmart and others including BestBuy offer a no questions return policy for full refund. Why not keep the box when you buy a new TV and return it in under 30-days for a full refund- or a full credit upgrade knowing that prices will likely have dropped? In my friend's case the Samsung 32 wasn't even 1080i (720 lpi). The Sony 4k 46" was originally $245 and now went to $189. Every 30 days a similar upgrade could be made!

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
If you don't mind my asking, which recreational drug(s) are responsible for that post and where did you buy them? It would appear that they have some interesting hallucinogenic properties...;)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I recently discovered a way to upgrade televisions. The prices of TV's generally have been falling. I bought my friend a 32" Samsung at Walmart for $179 just before Christmas. He returned the TV for full credit and upgraded for a small fee to a 46" Sony 4k. That got me thinking.
Walmart and others including BestBuy offer a no questions return policy for full refund. Why not keep the box when you buy a new TV and return it in under 30-days for a full refund- or a full credit upgrade knowing that prices will likely have dropped? In my friend's case the Samsung 32 wasn't even 1080i (720 lpi). The Sony 4k 46" was originally $245 and now went to $189. Every 30 days a similar upgrade could be made!

What you..."discovered" had been long-common practice, especially at Costco back when they had an extremely favorable 1-year no questions return policy, among unscrupulous customers. Many, many people would return their fancy TVs within the 1 year policy to get a free upgrade to the new model, and repeat every year. Obviously, Costco changed this policy in response.

What you are suggesting is very unpredictable and depends on specific timing. Prices don't drop every month--within your 30 day time--and this worked out for your friend specifically because of the pre and post christmas pricing/sales. Alternatively, you would have to "time" this around the time that new models become available to make it worthwhile, but I would be surprised if these current return policies allow for that type of return. This return scam is so well-known that these businesses generally do not allow it.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Yeah TVs get cheapest around the Super Bowl and go up afterwards as the new models come out. For a lot of electronics timing matters (which is why you NEVER buy a Windows laptop in July/August).

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
Yeah TVs get cheapest around the Super Bowl and go up afterwards as the new models come out. For a lot of electronics timing matters (which is why you NEVER buy a Windows laptop in July/August).
Over the past few years, anyway, prices have been pretty good during the couple of weeks before Black Friday, too...

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
True. I got my 65" 4k Vizo for $600 at the Sam's Club Pre-BF sale. Love it!

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
How do folks rate the operating systems on these various 4K TVs?

Insignia = Roku
Sony= Android TV
LG- WebOS
Samsung= Tizen
Panasonic- Firefox OS

Also Which one do you think provides the best long term security?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
How do folks rate the operating systems on these various 4K TVs?

Insignia = Roku
Sony= Android TV
LG- WebOS
Samsung= Tizen
Panasonic- Firefox OS

Also Which one do you think provides the best long term security?

imo Roku is by far the best. It's a similar idea to an iPhone...the app store is a walled garden, so it's safer than Android, and it's updated on a regular basis, and lets you pick & choose what apps you want on your TV...Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Plex, and so on. Second would be Android, although you risk security issues, but you get way more apps, plus games.

Firefox OS is dead; I think Panasonic is still developing a second-gen version, but the apps are pretty limited. Tizen is kind of a crappy Android knockoff. WebOS is decently zippy (although I don't care for the airmouse models myself), but has had a weird history with stuff like "smart premium content apps".

So basically, Roku gets my vote. If you want full customization, Android is good, although I would skip buying a TV with Android built-in & just buy something like an NVIDIA Shield TV player, that way (1) your TV's built-in Android computer won't get outdated quickly, (2) you'll get full horsepower for Android, and (3) you can upgrade the Shield down the road & get improved hardware. I do like having Roku integrated, however - all of my televisions have it (4K TCL + 4K Insignia); it definitely makes the TV's very family-friendly to operate, especially with a single, unified remote control.

Reactions: cbn

Macgyversite

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2002
Remember you can always add a Amazon Fire Stick or Chrome Stick or External Roku or Apple TV etc etc to any TV.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Since this thread is still going...

75" Sceptre 4K LED for $1099: (free ship to store)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-U750CV-U-75-Class-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-TV-2160p-60Hz/55427162

65" Hitachi 4K Roku TV for $708:
(Sam's Club)

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/65-uhd-roku-120hz-4-hdmi-wifi/prod20995426.ip

I picked up the Hitachi tonight. I was considering an OLED, but the modern 4K budget sets just look amazing, and I prefer Roku, especially built-in Roku. It's a great set! Also, that Sceptre is the cheapest I have ever seen a 75" for. Just over a thousand bucks is nuts. I considered it, but it would have been too big for my room (srs), plus again, prefer having built-in Roku for the family (i.e. no tech support or multiple remotes required lol).

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Just got the new costco sales ad a few days ago, the only thing they had was the samsung 40" 4K for 400 and change.

I normally like to buy from costco for the extra free warranty. As others have said, just buy a bigger, cheaper 4K, probably all made in the same factory anyway.