nothing else quite like hagane for the super nes

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
97%

it's rather fast-paced and challenging for a super nes game. The planes aren't as layered/deep as those in strider (particularly the first part of the first level in Strider) nor are the sprites as big, but it's actually more fun than strider and overall i like hagane's graphics more.

And of course, the mega drive (especially one with good circuitry) was little inferior to the Super NES in the hands of the right programmers. sprites were smaller on the Super NES, Nintendo often restricted ROM sizes through excessive royalty fees (samurai shodown is the only reverse example i can think of), more noticeable loading in Super NES games (Takara was just sneakier with Fatal Fury 2 than with fatal fury 1), less detail in the artwork especially backgrounds due to lower res, less scrolling (generally), no FM synth (unless programmed through software, you're stuck with orchestral sounding music on the Super NES); the Super NES main advantage was the controller IMO. and Mortal Kombat 2 for Super NES was viewed as better looking by most simply because Sculptured Software was more skilled than Probe (although the Genesis version actually had fewer intentional differences to the arcade game); Sculptured re-did the colors in the genesis version of MK3 (for example, the versus screen was made a pretty lighter gray) and they did a much better job than probe did as the latter took out whole parts of the background in MK2 (although the moon is missing in Kahn's tower in MK3 genesis but that is understandable given its glow).

the original moves, combos, and juggles were in tact in the genesis version of MK3 (the play control was still lighter than the arcade and super nes versions however).

Even the audio in the two systems' versions of Mortal Kombat 3 proves that the 1 PCM channel and software mixing with FM synth and PSG (especially on a console with fresh good circuitry) is just as good as 8 PCM hardware channels.

Don't get me wrong, as MK3 for genesis didn't look as cool to me as the PC- DOS version did, but Sculptured Software still did an excellent job on the genesis version.

so how can we blame the lackluster first two mortal kombat ports for the mega drive on the hardware itself?

Finally, I should note that I liked the Super NES better because of its library but it didn't really technologically impress me more than the Mega Drive did (look at Eternal Champions CD, the Adventures of Batman and Robin, and any game by Blue Sky Software, for examples)