Notebook Review / TPU: nVidia blocks laptop overclocking - again

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
This isn't something new, they had the vbios lock for awhile now. If someone wants to overclock that badly, they can go to Tech|Inferno and grab a vbios from Prema that bypasses it.

Feb 19, 2009
They backed down after the uproar last time. Now they are going at it again heh.

Its like they are trying to send a message, dirty overclocking peasants, pay extra for the higher clock model!

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
Does this affect kepler? I have a 660m in my laptop which I always run +135 with absolutely no ill effects (temps are maybe 82 degrees vs. 78-80) and have been holding off updating drivers for a while.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I think the difference this time is that overclocking is being locked via a bios check of the laptop. So Nvidia is basically blocking overclocking on specific laptops at manufacturer's requests. Which is still crappy. This is what happens when there is no competition.

Last edited:

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Does this affect kepler? I have a 660m in my laptop which I always run +135 with absolutely no ill effects (temps are maybe 82 degrees vs. 78-80) and have been holding off updating drivers for a while.

No it does not affect kepler. It only affects the newest laptops.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
When Nvidia blocked laptop overclocking the first time, they said it was because overclocking was a "bug". Then after the PR fallout hit, they re-enabled overclocking and called it a "feature". Apparently they've changed their minds yet again and have decided to go back to calling it a "bug".

Consistent, aren't they? Don't worry. I'm sure they'll flip-flop yet again and in a few weeks it will go back to being a "feature".

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
When Nvidia blocked laptop overclocking the first time, they said it was because overclocking was a "bug". Then after the PR fallout hit, they re-enabled overclocking and called it a "feature". Apparently they've changed their minds yet again and have decided to go back to calling it a "bug".

Consistent, aren't they? Don't worry. I'm sure they'll flip-flop yet again and in a few weeks it will go back to being a "feature".

They're not calling it a bug this time. The forum post pictures on TPU are from the first time. Laptops that are getting OC lock outs are because the laptop makers are putting an OC lock-out setting into the firmware/bios and Nvidia's new drivers are searching for this setting and abiding by the request.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
I think the difference this time is that overclocking is being locked via a bios check of the laptop. So Nvidia is basically blocking overclocking on specific laptops at manufacturer's requests. Which is still crappy. This is what happens when there is no competition.

It's not strictly a function of competition. Back in the Nvidia 7000 series days, software voltage control was done away with despite fierce competition from the X1800s/X1900s. Overclocking was effectively neutered unless you wanted to solder stuff onto your GeForce card (anyone remember Viper John's hardware mods?).