Notebook...now or later

Bloodstein

Nov 8, 2002
I'm really in need of a new toy. SO I decided to get a new notebook....but since the release of centrino, things are slightly more unpredictable in the laptop market. I suspect if i wait a month or two, laptop vendors dell, toshiba, acer, etc, etc will be releasing more centrino models...possibly with better specs than that is offered currently. Further, there are talks of new types of batteries for notebooks that make them last longer (not that they don't with centrino!).

So the question remains....does anyone think the newer centrino models that'll be released would significantly be better than the current ones? Any thoughts on the new "batteries"?

I've got a few vendors that i'm looking at for laptops. The current ones are (in no particular order):
Asus - M2000N, S1000N
Acer - Travelmate 800
Dell - ? (I live in NZ, they dun offer the same range of centrinos as in US)
Toshiba - Tecra S1, Portege R100
IBM - T40

Can anyone add to or remove from the list above with other vendors? I dun really like compaq, although they're recent evo ones look pretty good. Also, could anyone who have purchased any of the above laptops post their experience with it?

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
W/ the release of Centrino lappys around the corner Bloodstein, I'd wait and see what the vendors have to offer. Battery life is supposed to be greater than what is currently available & if none of the Centrino models appeal to you, then the lappys you mentioned in your post will be discounted by then. Either way, you win :)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
dell is releasing the 500 and 400 range here, both should be lighter than any of the others except the 300.

Bloodstein

Nov 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
W/ the release of Centrino lappys around the corner Bloodstein, I'd wait and see what the vendors have to offer. Battery life is supposed to be greater than what is currently available & if none of the Centrino models appeal to you, then the lappys you mentioned in your post will be discounted by then. Either way, you win :)

Yeah, me thinking the same. Think waiting till May is long enough?

Originally posted by: ElFenix
dell is releasing the 500 and 400 range here, both should be lighter than any of the others except the 300.

Nice. Cept that these days, I find Dell laptops rather boring. The need to start being more innovative with their designs. Hopefully, the new ones are more interesting...

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
depends... the start of the new school year will bring new models out. however, new models have already come out with the Pm and centrino stuff. this means that old stuff will be discounted. of course if money is no option, get whatever you want. nVidia and Ati have released new chipsets, so if you want a gaming laptop...

many companies are coming out with new "looks" for their laptops.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Bloodstein
Originally posted by: Shalmanese
Wait till the mobility 9600 is out. Then you can Doom3 on your lappie.

When is that expected man/woman?

I think they should make mainstream by the summer (July), but i'm not 100% sure about that.

andrey

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
if you're asking, most likely you don't really need a notebook now. And in that case, just get the laptop when you'll need one. There is always going to be a better and cooler laptop down the road, and if you'll be waiting for the best, you'll end up waiting forever :)

Bloodstein

Nov 8, 2002
Originally posted by: andrey
if you're asking, most likely you don't really need a notebook now. And in that case, just get the laptop when you'll need one. There is always going to be a better and cooler laptop down the road, and if you'll be waiting for the best, you'll end up waiting forever :)

True true...i guess i really dun NEED the laptop now. But I just can't wait to have my hands on a new toy. Centrino fits everything I look for in a toy. Power - to get my work done. Mobility - so I can move around and show off. Wireless - so I feel important. Come on, I sure you guys have been in my shoes once or twice in ur life :p