notebook gaming with GMA5700MHD/hd2000/hd3000 graphics. Tell us your experience

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I was just playing around on my girlfriends Acer Aspire Core i3 380, 4gb ram, with GMA5700MHD graphics.
I was playing Call of Duty Modern warfare 3 at low settings @ 1280x600 ( i think).

I must say the game is pretty good and ran rather smoothly, I was very impressed with the newer Intel GMA5700MHD.
I played a little Left for Dead 2 and Alice Madness returns also, both ran fairly well also,definitely playable.

I just wish I could overclock the dam thing.:thumbsup::cool:

Its definitely faster than my Ati hd4200 IGP in my laptop.

Just thought I'd post this for you low res. gamers on the go.:)

Anyone else playing games on Intel IGP, please tell us your experience and what games you can play.

Last edited:

jlee1

Jun 27, 2011
I use a SB HD3000 graphics and it's pretty amazing for mild gaming. I purchased the whole HL 2 package and have been hooked.

genietime

Apr 7, 2006
Happy: Pretty sure you are wrong about that.

I don't believe any i3 380 laptops have HD2000 graphics as it isn't Sandy Bridge. Your resolution is highly suspect as well (1280 x 600).

Same with the girlfriend - I'm not buying that without proof either :)

Not to say that basic laptops haven't improved leaps and bounds, but you need to double check your "gf's" laptop.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I use a SB HD3000 graphics and it's pretty amazing for mild gaming. I purchased the whole HL 2 package and have been hooked.
yeah but you can play HL 2 on a 6-7 year old low end gpu so that is not saying much.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
Call of Duty runs great on crappy on-board graphic cards? What's new, giraffes like to eat plants?

I can see we need to get back to putting down the thread-craps again, people are starting to forget the rules.

Just a reminder, thread-crapping is not acceptable. If you have nothing productive to contribute to a thread then you are encouraged to simply refrain from posting your negative-Nancy responses in it.

Administrator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Happy: Pretty sure you are wrong about that.

I don't believe any i3 380 laptops have HD2000 graphics as it isn't Sandy Bridge. Your resolution is highly suspect as well (1280 x 600).

Same with the girlfriend - I'm not buying that without proof either :)

Not to say that basic laptops haven't improved leaps and bounds, but you need to double check your "gf's" laptop.

Holy crap, yes ,you are right. The graphics part is basically the same as a HD2000 but with lower clocks and lower performance. I just looked it up.
I would call it a hd1000. Compared to my ATI 4200 (I thought it was a 3200) I'd say it was definitly faster.

here are the specs.

Manufacturer

Intel
Graphics Media Accelerator Series
Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) HD Graphics 12@500MHz
Codename
GMA HD
Pipelines

12 - unified
Core Speed *

500 MHz

Shader Speed *
500 MHz

Memory Speed *

Memory Bus Width
Memory Type

Shared Memory

yes
Shared Memory
DirectX

DirectX 10, Shader 4.0
Current Consumption

35 Watt
technology

45 nm
Notebook Size

small and light

In any case the MW3 game still runs good on it and yes I turned down the resolution from 1366x768 so it ran faster.

I'd imagine that a hd2000 could actually run the game with some details at medium, I have them all on the lowest settings in single player.

Still very impressive for a 480$ laptop 6 months ago.
We are currently doing some co-op Serious Sam 2 with a lan setup , its pretty fun.

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003

I think you would be surprised in what that graphics part can play.
Don't be afraid to give it a try. You might have to play at low settings but it should play more modern games just fine.

Check out these videos of the hd3000 in action.

Modern warfare 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfVQXABuk4c&feature=related

Skyrim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTksqhsbh3s

Dirt 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lowp54quZDY

Crysis 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g00Y5K-SE-4&feature=related

Black ops
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLDNhzEr9go&feature=fvwrel

Need for speed hot pursuit 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2zrmTXFyjE

Call of Duty 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1uK9ZoQ84U&feature=related

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Same with the girlfriend - I'm not buying that without proof either

Do not click this if you not genietime or at the office and mods can delete if inapropriate.

I changed the thread title and edited the original post to correct my mistake also.

Linking or embedding ANY NSFW images in the technical forums is strictly verboten. Even if you add NSFW disclaimers, still not acceptable.

Please don't do this again.

Administrator Idontcare

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
I don't see how this is worthy of a thread, an on-board graphics card can run CoD on low settings at an extremely low resolution...WOAH!!

It's not like we are talking about BF3.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I don't see how this is worthy of a thread, an on-board graphics card can run CoD on low settings at an extremely low resolution...WOAH!!

It's not like we are talking about BF3.

I think its a very informative thread.
I for one didn't know some of these games would even run at all on a Intel hd IGP.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
See post #8 and stop crapping on this thread. :thumbsdown:

So you make a thread, yet avoid discussion regarding the topic? Sounds to me like you're the one crapping it :thumbsdown:

Now you are derailing the thread into a flamefest between you and the OP. Completely irrelevant to the thread topic.

Contribute to the discussion or stay out of it, the rules of conduct are rather simple.

Administrator Idontcare

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
CoD still uses a modified version of the Quake 3 engine which was released in 1998. It should not be ANY surprise that a low end card can run it at lower resolutions.

Some of the videos linked above say the guy was running them at 800x500?! My Phone has a higher resolution than that! Which might be fine if you are playing on an 11" netbook or ultra portable. But my laptop for instance has a 1080P display, and the HD3000 graphics in my i7 is worthless. Thankfully it also has a Quadro onboard.

Yes, if somebody wants to spend 50 bucks on a game and then play at horrendously low quality and is ok with 30fps, then sure, go for it. But if I was stuck with hardware that is that poor, I would just play it on console.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Yes, if somebody wants to spend 50 bucks on a game

I just install the games I already have, for my desktop.
My laptop can play most games at 1024x768 full screen, with a native resolution of 1366x768.
Hey its just a option for gaming on the go and works pretty dam good.

If I spent money on a 1080p laptop , I would surely have a video card in it also, not integrated graphics

Last edited:

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
lol this thread delivers..

i am using an HD3000 for light gaming, it will play all the valve/steam games including portal 2 at native laptop res (1366x768) at high/no AA.

can't wait until ivy bridge notebooks come out, since they are expecting even more render units in the GPU.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
can't wait until ivy bridge notebooks come out, since they are expecting even more render units in the GPU.

Yea ,I'm reading 2x the performance of a hd3000.

Just tried Need for speed Shift (2009), didn't run very well :( but I bet it would run on a hd3000 (its 35% faster than my IGP) smoothly.

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
I'm also planning on buying a lower end IB laptop when they do release and I'm interested in whether or not I'll need anything better then the integrated.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
lol what was the nsfw image? Curiosity is killing me!

OP do you have Crysis 2? I heard it scaled really well with older graphics cards (no joke), just don't apply the DX11 patch or texture pack, lol.

Diablo 3 is also supposed to run really well on older PCs.

hawtdawg

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
I had a laptop with an HD3650. It was good enough to play just about anything at 720p with most settings on high. It played WoW pretty well at 1080p.