Not With My Face You Won't!!!! (STOP This IRS Plan!!)

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It's a wonder you hand them your name. Afraid they might ID you?
I remember older folks being aghast over having fingerprints taken. "How dare they!?"
Uhh... I fail to see the outrage. Could you explain it to me?

• Love
Reactions: killster1

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
It isn't as if the government/IRS doesn't already have access to your personal info, DoT/DMV mugshot, Soc. Sec. #, waist size, etc.

Someone might raise the question of where the data will be held/stored. If the IRS system were to get hacked though, there's already a mass of sensitive data that they retain, with or without a photo ID.

The main purpose is obviously to prevent ID theft and/or unauthorized access to records when using their online system.

Reactions: hal2kilo

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
"Keep the Gov'mint outta my Medicare!"

Our culture has grown paranoid. First, you jump on the cell-phone technology like flies on s***. Then you get all upset because the phone companies have your billing and calling information, and NSA is allowed to access it according to some standard of cause. Does anybody remember the party-line in Mayberry on "Andy Griffith Show"?

I think the IRS web-site is a marvelous resource. All the statutes and regulations are on-line. Do I NEED to access an "online account"? I don't. All that is being done with that is to give you the same security you desire when it comes to online access of your credit cards and bank accounts.

I just find "fingerprint security" either a bit unnecessary, or a slight worry that it won't work right. As for facial recognition, what happens if they took their snap when you were in Duck Dynasty mode for the cold winter and trim your beard for a breezier summer?

But -- the "Chicken-Little Society". Help! Help! the sky is falling! The phone company has my billing and call information! They gonna take away my freeeeeee-dumbs!

I preferred the 20th century. In the 50s, we had "duck and cover". Then things seemed to feel safer. Now we have "Little Rocket Man", a pandemic, worries about Ukraine, cleaning up four years of a criminal presidency, climate change, forest fires, floods and hurricanes -- along with our cellphones, finger and face recognition.

I think it's because people don't listen enough to GOOD 20th-century Rock And Roll. Y'all culturally retarded! "Ahh! The NSA is gonna find out about my secret illegal pot sale in California! We gotta have our freeee-dumbs! Help! Help! Call 9-11!"

• Love
Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Starting in summer 2022, if you need to login to the IRS’s website to access the Child Tax Credit Update Portal, get your tax transcript or view a payment agreement with the agency, you will need to create an account with third-party identity verification company ID.me.

A simple username and password will no longer suffice: You will need to provide a government document with a photo, such as a driver’s license, state ID or passport, and take a video selfie with your smartphone or computer.

“The IRS emphasizes taxpayers can pay or file their taxes without submitting a selfie or other information to a third-party identity verification company,” the agency said in a statement. “Tax payments can be made from a bank account, by credit card or by other means without the use of facial recognition technology or registering for an account.”

“There have been some wildly inaccurate statements regarding the use of selfies relating to paying and filing taxes. The IRS emphasizes taxpayers can pay or file their taxes without submitting a selfie or other information to a third-party identity verification company. Tax payments can be made from a bank account, by credit card or by other means without the use of facial recognition technology or registering for an account. To help protect the security of taxpayers, the IRS uses an identity verification process for accessing IRS’ self-help tools such as checking your account online and getting a transcript online.”

ID.me, a 12-year-old company that started as a way for military veterans to get discounts, has boomed during the pandemic, becoming the government's default ID-verification system. The company has pulled in over $200 million in venture funding and secured contracts with 27 states as they try to root out fraud in the unemployment system, for instance. It's valued at $1.5 billion, Bloomberg reported.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
"Many US states use ID.me to verify unemployment applicants."

Which should NOT happen. I had to use it for the VA site which I found improper, but at least they didn't require a picture. Identification verification should not be done by a third party site.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
The "actual" issue here is not that the IRS is capturing this data. It's the 3rd party private company that is capturing this data.
Since Republicans and "muricans" wanted to privatize as much as possible where anything and everything should be something that generates profit for someone else, I'm not too sympathetic when certain people complain about stuff like this.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

Which should NOT happen. I had to use it for the VA site which I found improper, but at least they didn't require a picture. Identification verification should not be done by a third party site.

Perhaps.
Who should be doing this? Government? What agency should be used to build it and maintain it? What should be the scope? Should it be agency specific or should it span agencies?
What should the annual budget be? What split would you have for full time gov't employees and contractors? What should the pay scale be and should it be competitive with private industry?
So many questions to be asked before every Republican in legislative branch votes no to whatever you propose.

Last edited:

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I hate to link this site but

I went through the first stages of completing an ID.me application to see what it was like. The process required me to submit a photocopy of my driver’s license as well as a face scan using my phone’s front camera. ID.me then required I submit my Social Security number and it requested permission to see information in my credit profile. Feeling sufficiently creeped out, I stopped short at that final stage but had I continued I would have given up a treasure trove of personal identifying information including government documents, credit history, and detailed biometric data.

• Wow

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Some history

Privacy Policy Questions
ID.me started about 10 years ago as TroopSwap.com, a daily deal site for military members, veterans, and their families that also verified military affiliation as part of its business model. The terms of the current privacy policy look like they could be a holdover from that business.

Its target market appears to have been modified over the years, and ID.me’s founder and CEO described his aspirations for the company recently as similar to Visa Inc.’s electronic funds transfer business, but for personal identities.

The CEO explained the business as a way to reduce friction in logins: “If we already know that you are you, or if we already have other credentials — like you’re a medical provider — here’s all the applications that accept ID.me for login. And you can just open up those applications without being challenged for your password or for identity verification because you’ve already done that. And when you do that, you can save people so much time and money.”

ID.me hasn’t reached the same level of market saturation that Visa has in the United States, so many taxpayers who claim the child tax credit probably don’t already use the company’s services. In late March, ID.me said it had 39 million users, with more than 70,000 new users signing up each day.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Between Experian, Equifax and TU, my personal info has been stolen multiple times (had some people filing unemployment claims in my name during the pandemic). So, I do think some of this privacy stuff is overhyped (we give the government all this information when applying for a license, passport, etc). My issue is a private company shouldn't be doing this, it should be vested in the hands of the government.

Reactions: DaaQ and hal2kilo

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Any sort of governmental recognition is going to disappear anyway when the Supreme Court overrules Roe v. Wade, which was based upon an implied constitutional protection of the right to privacy.

As a practical matter, given the extent to which people VOLUNTARILY give their private info to corporations that ship has already pretty much sailed already.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

I chose to use if for the VA, as there are other methods available on the VA site. I have also used it for veteran discounts for purchases.

They do not have my picture.

As for facial recognition, that's a hard NO.
The camera on my laptop is disabled. For security reasons...
There is no camera connected to my desktop computer. For security reasons...
I do not use my smartphone for anything financial. For security reasons...

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I preferred the 20th century. In the 50s, we had "duck and cover". Then things seemed to feel safer. Now we have "Little Rocket Man", a pandemic, worries about Ukraine, cleaning up four years of a criminal presidency, climate change, forest fires, floods and hurricanes -- along with our cellphones, finger and face recognition.
The dream of the 90's died on 9/11.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I'd suggest.... get use to it.
Would you rather they use face recognition, or microchip your body like a dog?
Either way, if it cuts down on those "the IRS is going to arrest you" fake scammy phone calls, then I'm all for it.

You do realize the government is out for total control of every citizen, and knowing every citizens whereabouts at any given moment?
Just wait until the camera's begin. Cameras everywhere.
The very moment you leave your front door, you will be tracked by video anywhere and everywhere you might go. And to make the deal even more sweet, the government will begin this little national media campaign pushing child safety and addressing child trafficking, with installed by the government into every American household will be a camera. And for free!!! At no cost to you. Yes, cams for free, just like the vaccinations. And the people will say... oh, isn't this wonderful that my child is now safe and secure and that child trafficking is under control?
And people will just love it because... we're doing it for "the kids". Awwwww.
This assumption will not be the true reason why the government wants your household video surveillance 24/7 by a government camera, the real reason is so the government will know what you and your family are up to while inside your household.

Just a little Q thought to start off your day. ;)

Nov 17, 2019
Either way, if it cuts down on those "the IRS is going to arrest you" fake scammy phone calls, then I'm all for it.

'Allo, allo, izz theese Meesster Sportage to whom I am speeking pleesess? Could you bee sooo kind as to send mee a sseelllffie peecture to make sure to whom I am asppeeeking Sirr Soportage? If you do not do0oo ssooo eeemeediately, the Federal polleccee and other forces will arrive to arrest you veddy veddy soon.'

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
This is 100% absolutely awful!

AirBNB still refuses to acknowledge my identity. The CA EDD implemented a similar system, and all it did was deny benefits to the people who needed them the most.

The problem with these AI face ID systems is they are irreversibly broken. And racist:

STOP THE RACISTS! STOP AI FACE ID!

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
No matter how many times I read that headline, read the content of this thread.... I read the headline wrong.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I'm old enough that I remember the Nuclear attack drills at school, and rushing to the basement to assume the position to kiss your ass farewell, and the DOD films about what to do if you saw a bright flash in the distance.

Then the perceived threat was external, and the country was united against it.

Now the cancer of Trump's republicans has metastasized through the country, and the prognosis is not good.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
"Keep the Gov'mint outta my Medicare!"

Our culture has grown paranoid. First, you jump on the cell-phone technology like flies on s***. Then you get all upset because the phone companies have your billing and calling information, and NSA is allowed to access it according to some standard of cause. Does anybody remember the party-line in Mayberry on "Andy Griffith Show"?

I think the IRS web-site is a marvelous resource. All the statutes and regulations are on-line. Do I NEED to access an "online account"? I don't. All that is being done with that is to give you the same security you desire when it comes to online access of your credit cards and bank accounts.

I just find "fingerprint security" either a bit unnecessary, or a slight worry that it won't work right. As for facial recognition, what happens if they took their snap when you were in Duck Dynasty mode for the cold winter and trim your beard for a breezier summer?

But -- the "Chicken-Little Society". Help! Help! the sky is falling! The phone company has my billing and call information! They gonna take away my freeeeeee-dumbs!

I think it's because people don't listen enough to GOOD 20th-century Rock And Roll. Y'all culturally retarded! "Ahh! The NSA is gonna find out about my secret illegal pot sale in California! We gotta have our freeee-dumbs! Help! Help! Call 9-11!"
Welcome, my son
Welcome to the machine

Where have you been?
It's alright, we know where you've been

You've been in the pipeline, filling in time
Provided with toys and 'Scouting for Boys'

You bought a guitar to punish your ma
You didn't like school
And you know you're nobody's fool
So welcome to the machine

Welcome, my son
Welcome to the machine