Not sure where to post this ?? ... surveillance cameras and such ..

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
I am looking at surveillance cameras to install outside and inside

I could really use some advice on the above

Wish to be able to monitor my pups when I am away from home

Also, front and back of house

Can I use a PC with a large HD and just buy the type of cameras that serve my needs ??

Last, I wish to be able to access the cameras from my iPhone

TIA

Ricky.

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
Probably should be posted in Home and garden. I purchased cameras at Costco that I have monitoring 6 on the outside of house and 2 on the inside for the pets. Pretty much all of them can be accessed from any phone. Mine are motion record sensitive. They only record when there is motion. Otherwise, the recording can get real large real quick with 8 cameras going HD all the time.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
normally one would buy a DVR + security camera kit. DVRs will support up to a certain amount of cameras, and up to certain resolutions for those cameras. When setting up the DVR you'll typically need a monitor with HDMI or VGA inputs. You can install the cameras yourself if you're good with running wire, or hire someone to install it for you, in which case they might have recommendations on equipment. Then if you were doing it yourself, you'd have to set up the DVR settings like motion control range and sensitivity and network settings if you want wireless or network access to the DVR. It might help to have an extra person with a cell phone to help in positioning the cameras, so one person can be by the DVR to check the camera output and one person can adjust the camera positioning.

if you have a big house you might want to buy extra cable, usually cat5/6 or coaxial depending on the camera.

Frys Electronics tends to have some pretty good deals on DVR + security camera kits, though YMMV. You can also get some at Costco.

Last edited:

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
Those Yi camera systems are pretty convenient but keep in mind that all the video and audio is stored in the Yi cloud. I put them up when I go on vacation but I wont keep one in the house when I'm home. They're basically a hot mic that record everything you say and then stores it on some server owned by a Chinese company.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
somehow people are ok with NSA recording us 24/7. but it's not ok when the chinese do it.
if you are paranoid though.... remember, everything is made in china. so good luck finding a tech that's not made in china.

jsalpha2

Oct 19, 2001
For a truly wireless setup you would need a battery and a solar charger.
CHOETECH 19W Solar Charger. I don't know of a complete package. For indoor use, I seem to remember software that repurposes an old cell phone as the camera. I'd prefer something you could mount outside on the eaves or on a pole and then never touch.