Not posting = Celeron + P965

paydirt

Nov 2, 2006
This computer will be a dedicated protein "folder" for Folding@Home.

The error I'm getting is the computer is not posting and I am getting no beeps. Pretty sure everything is plugged in. I tried switching the RAM to the other color coded pair. Reseated the CPU & heatsink. Fans are running on the heatsink, GPU, case fan, PSU. Tried 3 different monitors.

What are some other things I should try? I can swap the GPU, but I'd rather try some other easy steps first. (the GPU I would be swapping from is a dedicated folding machine, so I'd rather not disturb it for now)

Intel Celeron 430 Conroe-L 1.8GHz LGA 775 35W Single-Core Processor Model BX80557430 -
ECS P965T-A (V1.0) LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS ATX12V / EPS12V 600W Power Supply
pqi TURBO 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
(older) SAPPHIRE 100177L Radeon X1950XTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express x16

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
You probably checked already, but is the ATX12V cable plugged in (two yellow wires, two black wires, powers the CPU circuitry).

paydirt

Nov 2, 2006
Thanks. My motherboard has a 8-pin connector where that is. That is plugged in. I will insure tonight that there isn't a 4-pin CPU connection that I'm missing.

paydirt

Nov 2, 2006
Yeah, from what I am able to interpret, Jack, the board came to me with the jumper set to "clear" and I did power on the board in that position. Does that likely mean that I inadvertently nuked the mobo?

paydirt

Nov 2, 2006
I tried the jumper on the other two pins and also the jumper completely off. On the other two pins, it wouldn't power on. Completely off all pins and it would power on but no POST (and no beeps). :( I'm going to RMA this mobo. Hopefully it is the mobo and not something else.

I tried without RAM, without GPU, without power to CPU (system turned on for two seconds and then stopped), without CD & HD. I didn't try the completely out of case, but I did install the "standoffs" between the mobo and case. I also tried putting the 3-pin CPU fan on the 4-pin CPU fan slot (it worked) instead of the 3-pin northbridge fan slot (which worked too), but nothing magical happened with beeps or POST. I doublechecked the manufacturer's website to make sure the default BIOS accepts the CPU (it should).

So gonna RMA and get a different board. Thanks again folks.