NOT HOT: Amazon Super Saver Shipping

MrZoom

Apr 17, 2003
This is absolutely rediculous.

I order on April 5th, 2 products.. 1 says "Ships within 24 hours" the other says "Ships in 2-3 days".

Shipping estimate: April 15 - April 17.. I figure since the products aren't backordered it should ship well before then.. boy was I wrong. Here it is April 17th, and Im still holding my d*** waiting for them to even ship the stuff. I sent customer service an email YESTERDAY and they finally responded TODAY. Ive never had this kind of problem with free shipping from buy.com or newegg.. Guess I know who to not buy from.

Just passing this along so in case you were thinking about getting something with this "free shipping" either don't or expect to be waiting for a month.

---

Sorry, this is not a Hot Deal. Please post this in the Moderator sponsored ~~~~ Brag & Moan ~~~~ thread.

Thank you,

AnandTech Moderator

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Belongs in Brag and Moan.

Also, in my deals with Super Saver Shipping, I received my products within 5 days of ordering.

amheck

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2000
I've dealt with this, too. I think, with the Super Saver shipping, in addition to sending it media mail or whatever, they also take several days, maybe even a week, to get it out of their warehouse. I guess it's like boat mail or 3rd class mail - it gets there when it gets there.

Aaron

MrZoom

Apr 17, 2003
Yes thats fine a mod can move it.. Sorry..

But thats what I expected was for them to ship it early, but this is now the 2nd time I have ordered from Amazon with this super saver shipping, the first took 1 1/2 weeks to get to me, this time will be 9 full working days before its even shipped (assuming it ships today). Like I said, if I order with newegg or buy.com and get free shipping, its shipped within 2-3 days..

keyed

Feb 21, 2001
Originally posted by: MrZoom
This is absolutely rediculous.

I order on April 5th, 2 products.. 1 says "Ships within 24 hours" the other says "Ships in 2-3 days".

Shipping estimate: April 15 - April 17.. I figure since the products aren't backordered it should ship well before then.. boy was I wrong. Here it is April 17th, and Im still holding my d*** waiting for them to even ship the stuff. I sent customer service an email YESTERDAY and they finally responded TODAY. Ive never had this kind of problem with free shipping from buy.com or newegg.. Guess I know who to not buy from.

Just passing this along so in case you were thinking about getting something with this "free shipping" either don't or expect to be waiting for a month.

How do I take advantage of FREE Super Saver Shipping?

1. Place over $25 of eligible Amazon.com products in your Shopping Cart.*
(Eligible items are marked with our free shipping truck.)

2. Proceed to checkout.

3. Ship your items to a single U.S. address.

4. Select Super Saver Shipping as your shipping speed. Note that order will take an additional 3 to 5 days to ship.

5. Select "Group my items into as few shipments as possible" as your shipping preference.

6. Place your order, and enjoy the free shipping!**

Illini2003

Jul 26, 2002
It all depends on your luck with amazon I think. Wheneven I use it it generally gets here about five days after I ordered it. Of course now that I've said something I'm sure that I'm going to run into problems...

Pothead

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2001
So if I put a "NOT HOT" in the title, it makes it all right to post in Hot deals?

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
all my super saver stuff has gotten here in less than 5 days. if you wanted faster shipping you should've paid for it.

MrZoom

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: Pothead
So if I put a "NOT HOT" in the title, it makes it all right to post in Hot deals?

Didn't I already post I was sorry? You want to spank me for it and call me dirty names too?

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
All my Super-Saver orders come via UPS. If I'm really lucky, I can order on a Monday and get it Friday...

crrdsh

Sep 11, 2001
I've had about 6 orders in the last few months from Amazon (all with Super Saver Shipping) and all but 1 arrived on time. In fact, all but 1 arrived earlier than the estimated time. YMMV?:)

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Doesn't seem like it makes sense that if you NEEDED your items faster, you should have paid for the faster delivery? I generally have no problems with my Super Saver pruchases. Sometimes items I order come from Delaware, and since I'm in MD, they appear in a couple of days. Other times, it take a couple of weeks. No big deal. if I HAD to have it sooner, I would pay the higher shipping fees. It's that simple.

MrZoom

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: altonb1
Doesn't seem like it makes sense that if you NEEDED your items faster, you should have paid for the faster delivery? I generally have no problems with my Super Saver pruchases. Sometimes items I order come from Delaware, and since I'm in MD, they appear in a couple of days. Other times, it take a couple of weeks. No big deal. if I HAD to have it sooner, I would pay the higher shipping fees. It's that simple.

I didn't *have* to have it sooner. It would have been nice, and I have come to expect early shipments from dealing with other stores. However, this is apparently not the situation with Amazon.. basically I made this post to warn anyone considering using this Free Shipping that when they estimate you won't recieve your package for 3 1/2 weeks, they mean it.

Also, I did some simple math..

3 days max for items to ship using regular paid shipping. Add 5 days max for them to ship the product using free super saver shipping. 3+5 = 8. Today is the 9th full business day, and I'm still waiting... thats just not good service, I'm sorry..

Wei - fine contribution there...

SimMike2

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2000
Amazon shipping has always been grossly inconsistent the whole time I have been ordering from them. This is nothing like Buy.com and Newegg, which have had consistently fast shipping since the beginning.

nydoofus

Apr 21, 2001
I think the delay is done on purpose to try and discourage people from using Super Saver Shipping. If they artificially increase the time it takes to get delievered, people might be tempted to upgrade the shipping method. I know I've been tempted on occasions.

Noirish

Diamond Member
May 2, 2000
well, to most people amazon is the best there is.
they don't have to offer you free shipping.
you can always choose to pay and get it faster.

Tommyboy8

Jun 4, 2001
Never had a problem with Amazon... but that comes with less expectation especially when shipping is free.

The other problem that you have is that the two items don't coincide with how soon they are ready to ship. From personal experience, when the item won't ship for 3-5 days... give it a while before they get it, however at times I've had it shipped 2 days after I order the items, one which was ready to ship in 24 hours, and the other 3-5 days. YMMV especially since you are grouping items and getting free shipping