Not changing oil filter at every oil change?

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
I noticed that some manufacturers specify to change the oil filter only at every other OCI.

Honda, for example, has a "A" service on the maintenance minder system which is replacing engine oil only. They also have a "B" service which is a oil + filter change. That means that the oil filter usually will not be changed for around 15,000-20,000 miles since the average OCI on maintenance-minder equipped cars is around 7.5 - 10k miles.

Does anyone on here actually follow this approach?

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
I change the oil filter with every oil change. However, I also recognize that I have absolutely no empiric evidence that such a practice is necessary, while a company like Honda most likely does have such data. Furthermore, I recognize that, as long as the air filter and engine oil are doing their job, then it is unlikely that the oil filter would get sufficiently clogged with debris that it requires replacement with every oil change rather than every other. Still, I do it because it is relatively cheap and it is a habit. And I feel better about it, even though it is a placebo effect.

leper84

Dec 29, 2011
I'm sure Honda has some sort of reasoning, but to me the extra $5-$10 a year on changing the filter every service seems like pretty cheap insurance on a $30k investment.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
I feel better about it, even though it is a placebo effect.

From what I've read, Honda's rationale for recommending the oil filter be changed at every other oil change was that the oil filter became more efficient at filtering as it was used. Of course, if you let it go for too long it would clog and go into bypass, but I'd assume Honda and other companies' research showed that filters could last 20k miles without going into bypass.

Last edited:

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
I remember reading that in many owners manual and never agreed with it because:

1) A new oil filter, like a new air filter allows more flow with less restriction. I don't want any restriction in my oil flow.
2) Leaving the old oil filter is also leaving a half quart of dirty oil in your engine.
3) How do you know how dirty or clogged your old oil filter really is?
4) Spending $8 or $10 for a new oil filter is pretty cheap insurance.

Just my 2 cents.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I always do both for an oil change. At least I assume that's what's being done when I take it in since that's what is listed on my invoice.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I have read that before, and really don't understand it. Even if the filter is fine, I still want to remove it to get the old oil out (unless it is mounted what I would call upside down, as it is in my Cobalt). If I am going to go through removing it, why wouldn't I go ahead and replace it?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I have never seen this listed ( I only drive Toyota vehicles ). I always change the filter as others have noted for 5 - 10 bucks every oil change is it well worth the insurance.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
For a newer car you can do this if its a decent filter. You will not clog a oil filter up in 15k on newer cars with new oils.
The problem is how do you know if you filter is a good one, leaving old oil in when you change it, and so on...

So yea you can get by but I rather use a $2-3 filter and change every time then use a $10 filter and change every other.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
I don't know of any who don't change their oil and oil filter at the same time. It is true that the oil filter is more effective with smaller particles over time, but it is also true any filter only work if they are replaced/cleaned. I suppose the answer people want is when. Since most oil filters are cans, you'd have to cut it open. The ones that are open filter cartridges, since you have already taken it out, might as well put a new one in instead of spending time to clean the oil off it and inspect.

I wouldn't worry too much about the oil filter not filtering out the microscopic bits. Current oils is AWESOME the past 5-7 years. They will take care of it. If it continues to bother you, get a magnetic drain bolt. I tried a cheap ebay one. Works well. It didn't improve oil analysis much, but whenever I change oil I do always end up wiping off ferric dust off it.

Last edited:

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
while i agree its stupid not to change out the filter. I just wanted to be an picky a-hole and say LOL @ 30k honda, yes i know loaded ones are that much or their trucks but i would feel silly paying 30k for one. And also the $5 filters are slowly going away, all these cartridges are costing $8-15 now. Pretty annoying.

Either way. If OEM states it, they have their reasons behind it BUT i'm waste my on a new filter for piece of mind.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I know that toyota specify a lower grade filter for the US market, because customers expect 5k oil changes.

They specify a higher grade filter with more filter material for the EU market where the oil service interval is 10k miles.

K7SN

Jun 21, 2015
Back in my younger days, we would use a roll of toilet paper to filter the dirty oil under low pressure and reuse the oil but replace the filter. That worked on a Hudson or flathead; While I have some empirical knowledge such as after 100,000 miles when doing a cheap rebuild; rings, reseat the valves but only micing (Using a micrometer) to check the crankshaft journals; both main and rod. Unless you found something wrong and had to turn the crank; you would use the same bearings if the owner changed his filter regularly. I rebuilt enough engines to empirically say I saw no difference between just cleaning the oil every other time and changing oil every time but those who drove an extra 2,000 miles between oil changes paid more money at rebuild time then they saved.

That was then, modern engines run hotter (more efficient) and much longer between oil changes (oil cost 30 o 40 cents a quart, two dollars to change oil was 2 hours work before taxes). I suspect the additives and other stuff, smog control that put crap back into the engine (And allows use to breathe the air in our cities), higher RPMs and the relatively costs of totay's oil filters; you would be foolish not to change both; even if the manufacture says every other time is ok because some marketing guru tweaked the numbers to reduce the cost of maintenance estimate.

Last edited:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Had an old Studebaker back in the 1990's that had no oil filter. It was an option on the engine. Engine had a block-off plate over where the oil filter would reside. Required the use of non-detergent oils. Had an oil bath air filter, too.

Of course, this was on a car that had zero power accessories....no power steering, drum brakes on all four corners of the car with no power assist. Those were the days....best forgotten.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I have Fumoto valves on my vehicles. Once when I was close to an oil change and didn't have time to change it before a long trip, I simply drained out 2 to 3 quarts and then topped her off with fresh oil. I generally changed between 3000 and 4000 at the time which was pretty low anyway even for conventional oil... So pretty sure it didn't hurt anything... But probably did help versus just going on the trip and worrying about it all after.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
while i agree its stupid not to change out the filter. I just wanted to be an picky a-hole and say LOL @ 30k honda, yes i know loaded ones are that much or their trucks but i would feel silly paying 30k for one. .

Have you checked new car prices lately?

A Ford Focus can cost close to 30K these days if you tick all the options.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i change the filter with every oil change because i'm lazy and don't feel like remembering when i did or didn't change the filter. just easier to do it every time.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I know that toyota specify a lower grade filter for the US market, because customers expect 5k oil changes.

They specify a higher grade filter with more filter material for the EU market where the oil service interval is 10k miles.

All engines with synthetic oil with the exception two engines that Toyota uses call for 10K mile oil changes.

From the Toyota Web Site:

What are the oil change intervals using synthetic oil?

Only Toyota vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required (except for the 2TR-FE and 3UR-FBE Engines*) have been approved for extended oil change intervals of 10,000-miles/12-months. (However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.)

And they use the same filters...

Last edited:

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
Have you checked new car prices lately?

A Ford Focus can cost close to 30K these days if you tick all the options.
I did say fully loaded Honda...

The most I would pay for a focus st is 25k, dealers were giving away st2 models for $22k.

I know average call selling is like $28-32k but seriously there.. 40k on a loaded accord.... I think a coworker bought a $42k or 46k maxima and was bragging. I think he should be embarrassed.

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
I noticed that some manufacturers specify to change the oil filter only at every other OCI.

Honda, for example, has a "A" service on the maintenance minder system which is replacing engine oil only. They also have a "B" service which is a oil + filter change. That means that the oil filter usually will not be changed for around 15,000-20,000 miles since the average OCI on maintenance-minder equipped cars is around 7.5 - 10k miles.

Does anyone on here actually follow this approach?

its false economy to change the oil filter every second oil change. The filter cost is very low.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
While I don't think it's needed in newer cars with newer oils, I always do it every time. As others have said, in the grand scheme of things, it's next to nothing. I typically use mobile 1 filters and even at $10-12 (from amazon) the savings wouldn't justify not doing it when I already have the car up on stands just for the piece of mind.